Wednesday, December 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vermonter »

harrumph wrote:Congrats, to me it was a high caliber game between three worthy contenders. Good luck "tonight".
Agreed. Thanks for sharing your experience; I look forward to your (first) defense tonight!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

vs1 wrote:While watching the interview segment yesterday, I realized I inadvertently said I won my school's "spelling bee" obviously instead of geography bee (I am a mediocre speller at best).
I was wondering about that. It didn't make any sense.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I don't know them by size, and didn't think to approach them that way anyway, since I was stuck on this side of the country
When there's a question about big states, don't even think about anything east of the Mississippi.
Yeah, that was stupid of me. But again, living in the biggest state east of the Mississippi gummed up my thought process, as did forgetting that Montana even exists.
You moved to Georgia? :P
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Would have been a *lot* easier to run through the states by size in your head. "Alaska - doesn't begin with M. Texas - doesn't begin with M. California - doesn't begin with M. Montana - begins with M. Done!"
I don't know them by size, and didn't think to approach them that way anyway, since I was stuck on this side of the country, and kind of went into panic mode too. "Michigan is pretty big, but it's already been used. Argh… Minnesota? Mississippi? Missouri?… Too late." I just don't know how to run through a limited data set like that properly.
To be fair, I don't know the 5th through 46th largest states (and I'm not certain on 47 and 48); fortunately I didn't need to know them.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

I have the states memorized in alphabetical order (forwards AND backwards), but as Montana is last alphabetically of the M states, I couldn't tease it out in time. If I'd been on the show, I probably could've gone through them and got it in the nick of time.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Jaksiel wrote:Aranea -> spider -> Charlotte's Web -> Charlotte. Had it before the clue finished. I was surprised none of the contestants got it, but reading this topic I see several smart people here also having no clue, so I probably overestimated how easy it was.
Araneus is the genus of orb-weaving spiders, of which the common barn spider is a member. I was fortunate to recall that E B White made Charlotte a barn spider (and also fortunate to have Wikipedia'd them after finding multiple specimens outside our house), so Aranea was a huge TOM for me. Without that, no hope I'd think.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thenextofken wrote:I have the states memorized in alphabetical order (forwards AND backwards), but as Montana is last alphabetically of the M states, I couldn't tease it out in time. If I'd been on the show, I probably could've gone through them and got it in the nick of time.
Despite having maple syrup run in my veins (yeah, I probably should see a doctor about that) when I was a teen, I memorized the states in alphabetical order, and was able to say them (plus the District of Columbia, between Delaware and Florida) in under 30 seconds (I just tried now and got 18 seconds). And I wondered why I got picked on all the time ...

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

vs1 wrote:
I was thus very fortunate to win, especially against the other two who are indeed very good players. To make the win sweeter, a certain J! legend was in the audience.
Don't be coy. Who was there?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I don't know them by size, and didn't think to approach them that way anyway, since I was stuck on this side of the country
When there's a question about big states, don't even think about anything east of the Mississippi.
Yeah, that was stupid of me. But again, living in the biggest state east of the Mississippi gummed up my thought process, as did forgetting that Montana even exists.
This list says Michigan is #11 and Georgia is #24. Whose standard for size are you using?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

TenPoundHammer wrote:This list says Michigan is #11 and Georgia is #24. Whose standard for size are you using?
I was told growing up that size doesn't matter.

-- Vermonter
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Well, you're grown now. So, you're old enough to face the truth.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vermonter wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:This list says Michigan is #11 and Georgia is #24. Whose standard for size are you using?
I was told growing up that size doesn't matter.

-- Vermonter
That's because you were need to be told that, to make you feel better. Whereas those who are blessed with considerable size were told "if you got it, be proud of it!".

(Manitoba. If it was a state, it'd be 3rd, just a little below Texas. (And is the 8th largest of 13 in Canada. "Size doesn't matter." Pfft.))

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
This list says Michigan is #11 and Georgia is #24. Whose standard for size are you using?
The one that doesn't cheat by adding in water area roughly the size of Kentucky. ;)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I had a feeling "an old woman who lived in a shoe" was longer than they'd likely ask for in FJ, but I hoped that maybe those kids' names appeared in the lesser-known verses that separate the boys from the babies.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I haven't read Charlotte's Web in decades, but I managed to snag it with a WAG.