Toughest FJs 9/17/12 - 8/2/13

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What was the toughest FJ! clue for Season 29?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 pm

This 2-word adjective for "going against accepted speech or conduct" first appeared in a 1933 translation from Izvestia
26%
One of its mascots is a restored 1930 sport coupe that's been in use at the school since 1961
23%
Its first line is "A green hunting cap squeezed on the top of the fleshy balloon of a head"
51%

Total votes: 70

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Toughest FJs 9/17/12 - 8/2/13

Post by Leaper »

opusthepenguin wrote:
StevenH wrote:The clue didn't say that it was comedic.
seaborgium wrote:"Fleshy balloon of a head" says it pretty well.
That's a fair point. If I'd happened to think of Confederacy within the 30 seconds, I might have stuck with it for just that reason. But wouldn't you agree that, as TOMs go, that one's pretty weak?
The TOM was actually pointing you to the novel cover illustration, I think. That's how I got it (it's the only one of the three I got).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leaper wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
StevenH wrote:The clue didn't say that it was comedic.
seaborgium wrote:"Fleshy balloon of a head" says it pretty well.
That's a fair point. If I'd happened to think of Confederacy within the 30 seconds, I might have stuck with it for just that reason. But wouldn't you agree that, as TOMs go, that one's pretty weak?
The TOM was actually pointing you to the novel cover illustration, I think. That's how I got it (it's the only one of the three I got).
It was explicitly referring to it, but if you haven't seen the cover, go for the Jeopardy favorite comedy Pulitzer.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Wow, I'm stunned -- the consensus toughest clue of the year was, for me, a breakaway slam-dunk instaget. Never thought that would happen. Of course I kind of identify with Ignatius J. Reilly. Him and Charlie Brown.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.