Thursday, January 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Thursday, January 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

1960s-70s rock music is still a direct influence on contemporary rock music, which is quite a long time. Those 1960s musicians were primarily influenced by the music of just the previous decade. If they followed the timeline of bands of today they would have been steeped in the music of the twenties. Which speaks to the musical greatness of that 1963-1973 period, a confluence of factors made it a special time in music.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:One major difference between my generation and [old man voice]these kids today[/old man voice] is the kids today aren't forced to watch things like "I Love Lucy." It's there for them if they want it. But mostly they're not going to be the ones choosing to watch it (and then ordering the MedicAlert bracelet).I don't mean I was literally forced, of course.
Or, like it was when I was growing up and all we got were 5 channels out of NYC (2, 3, 5, 9, and 13, I think). Channel surfing didn't take very long back then. :)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:One major difference between my generation and [old man voice]these kids today[/old man voice] is the kids today aren't forced to watch things like "I Love Lucy." It's there for them if they want it. But mostly they're not going to be the ones choosing to watch it (and then ordering the MedicAlert bracelet).I don't mean I was literally forced, of course.
Or, like it was when I was growing up and all we got were 5 channels out of NYC (2, 3, 5, 9, and 13, I think). Channel surfing didn't take very long back then. :)
Yes it did. You had to get out of the chair to change the channels! :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
[1] Who am I kidding? Even in 1977, if I'd had a computer with Internet access, that would have become my LIFE. I would've slept all day during school, come home, gone straight to my room, and logged on. I would've angled the screen away from my bedroom door and shielded it with a cardboard box. That wouldn't be for the reasons one might do that today. I just wouldn't want the light from the monitor shining under my doorway at 3 a.m. when I was supposedly fast asleep.
I don't know if you'd want the 1977 version of the internet, those who are familiar with today's net wouldn't recognizè it. For starts the first web browser wasn't invented until around 1990 (yes, that recent), before that you'd have to know Unix or something like that. (This was the only time I used Unix, picked up a few commands (that I've mostly forgotten) from my first ISP.). Also the modems (no wireless or cable) were *incredibly* slow by today's standards. (I remember thinking 9600bps was blazing fast at the time, I can't think of an analogy as to how slow it is compared to what you're using.). Plus your computer wouldn't be able to handle anything but small text files. Anything resembling this board would probably be impossible. (The iPhone I'm typing this on has *way* more power than the computer we had at our house (a TRS-80) in 1980.

So, you may have thought the early Internet was the bees knees (I did), when you've experienced what it evolved into in a few short years, you'd never want to go back.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yes it did. You had to get out of the chair to change the channels! :mrgreen:
And, in my family, had to turn two dials. One for picture and one for sound.

Although I never remember having that few channels. As far as my memory goes back, we got three from Buffalo, at least two from Toronto, one from Paris (Ontario), one from Kitchener and one from right here in Hamilton.

When I was a teen, I read in Guinness Book of World Records that Hamilton Ontario was the place with the best television reception, counted by number of stations received. At that time, their count was 19. But that night, my brother and I went through the stations to see which ones were (at least) identifiable, and we counted 57.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I used to have to use a pair of pliers to change the channel, since the knob had broken off. This was a TV I was still using in 1996.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:I used to have to use a pair of pliers to change the channel, since the knob had broken off. This was a TV I was still using in 1996.
My brother thought he was so smart by removing the knob so he could watch (Saturdays first run 1972) Emergency. I outsmarted him by figuring out pliers could change the channel. Like the knife through the hot toast it was one of those metal/electricity maneuvers my mom never found amusing.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

econgator wrote:

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Growing up in eastern Massachusetts in the eighties, we had to turn the aerial antenna with a dial to watch Tic Tac Dough on WMUR Channel 9 in New Hampshire.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Whither UHF?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Actually, believe it or not, most stations are UHF nowadays.
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote:
5? City folk! We had 4 on a good day. And if I went to my grandmother's house, it was 1.5 (the second channel only kinda sorta came in depending on the weather).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Also the modems (no wireless or cable) were *incredibly* slow by today's standards. (I remember thinking 9600bps was blazing fast at the time, I can't think of an analogy as to how slow it is compared to what you're using.). Plus your computer wouldn't be able to handle anything but small text files. Anything resembling this board would probably be impossible. (The iPhone I'm typing this on has *way* more power than the computer we had at our house (a TRS-80) in 1980.
The first modem I owned was 300 bps.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:Actually, believe it or not, most stations are UHF nowadays.
Why, someone mentioned that recently right here on this board!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Also the modems (no wireless or cable) were *incredibly* slow by today's standards. (I remember thinking 9600bps was blazing fast at the time, I can't think of an analogy as to how slow it is compared to what you're using.). Plus your computer wouldn't be able to handle anything but small text files. Anything resembling this board would probably be impossible. (The iPhone I'm typing this on has *way* more power than the computer we had at our house (a TRS-80) in 1980.
The first modem I owned was 300 bps.
So was mine, that's why I was lusting after the 9600s when they came out. (I remember we had 2400 for ghe longest time (after 1200 and the aforementioned 300 my dad brought home from work (they were discarding it) but I only remember having that one for a little while)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:Once Cable came in, there were more choices. TVs became cheaper and smaller and you could have one in your room. Then the Internet arrived. This makes it harder to find the pool of TV facts that everyone "should" know. We've all been watching different stuff and then discussing it with strangers a thousand miles away.
I doubt it does. There are so many TV shows I know about only because I read about them on TV Tropes or was forced to watch them by a friend who insists I need to broaden my horizons. (But I Love Lucy I learned about from my mom. When I was about 11, I copied a bunch of sound clips from a friend's Mac, and one of them was Lucy talking about Vita-I can never spell that right-min, and mom explained to me what it was.)

My first modem was 28.8. I don't recall ever having fewer than 50-60 channels. You guys are finally making me feel something that I haven't felt in a long time: YOUNG.

(Then I look at my younger sister, who is now old enough to drink legally, and I feel old as the hills again...)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My first modem was so slow, I had to carry the bits by hand to their destination.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote:My first modem was so slow, I had to carry the bits by hand to their destination.
Still faster than IPoAC.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:My first modem was so slow, I had to carry the bits by hand to their destination.
Uphill!

Both ways!!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:I don't know if you'd want the 1977 version of the internet, those who are familiar with today's net wouldn't recognizè it. For starts the first web browser wasn't invented until around 1990 (yes, that recent), before that you'd have to know Unix or something like that. (This was the only time I used Unix, picked up a few commands (that I've mostly forgotten) from my first ISP.). Also the modems (no wireless or cable) were *incredibly* slow by today's standards. (I remember thinking 9600bps was blazing fast at the time, I can't think of an analogy as to how slow it is compared to what you're using.). Plus your computer wouldn't be able to handle anything but small text files. Anything resembling this board would probably be impossible. (The iPhone I'm typing this on has *way* more power than the computer we had at our house (a TRS-80) in 1980.

So, you may have thought the early Internet was the bees knees (I did), when you've experienced what it evolved into in a few short years, you'd never want to go back.
We had a TRS-80 in 1980 as well. Ordered it from some guy in Texas. It took forever for that thing to arrive. I'd written a bunch of BASIC programs and was itching to see if they worked.

Also, you've probably forgotten, but I learned about the JBoard via alt.fan.cecil-adams, a Usenet newsgroup. I don't generally like web-based message boards. The pictures and videos and italics are nice features. But they don't make up for the crap interface. I still don't get why web message boards don't thread conversations (or thread them ridiculously poorly) and can't do something as simple as show you replies to your own posts (or can do it, but not at the press of a button) and no one seems to care. It's ridiculous that a text-based system from 1980 totally kicks the web's butt in some basic ways that could be easily imitated.

Sigh. Sorry. Anyway, my point is that, yes, I think I know myself well enough to say that, given the opportunity in 1977, I would have figured out how to use the Net and would have loved it.