Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dfawcettSD
Contributor

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by dfawcettSD »

Tybalteon wrote: With this new online test ending this week, I realized that emails were never sent out for LA from the online test from January (unless I missed that conversation). Are there any ideas/thoughts to whether the LA emails will be sent out based on the results of the January test or the October test? It would be slightly annoying to have selected LA as my audition city for January, pass the test, only to have them never use LA for that cycle and then send out invites to LA based on the results of this October test (which I bombed spectacularly) :|
Thanks, Tybalteon, for mentioning the current testing process in your post. I had no idea. Never got an email; missed the news on the Jeopardy! site even though I play J!6 every day. (I guess I should start going to the J! homepage to get to J!6, so I see the news.) And I hadn't been expecting another test now since I, too, took the test in January. I live in San Diego, and I haven't heard any news about invites for the auditions that were on the list to occur here. Anyway, thanks to your post I'm registered to take tonight's test. Perhaps they'll look at the results of both tests for those of us in this situation?
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

dfawcettSD wrote:
Tybalteon wrote: With this new online test ending this week, I realized that emails were never sent out for LA from the online test from January (unless I missed that conversation). Are there any ideas/thoughts to whether the LA emails will be sent out based on the results of the January test or the October test? It would be slightly annoying to have selected LA as my audition city for January, pass the test, only to have them never use LA for that cycle and then send out invites to LA based on the results of this October test (which I bombed spectacularly) :|
Thanks, Tybalteon, for mentioning the current testing process in your post. I had no idea. Never got an email; missed the news on the Jeopardy! site even though I play J!6 every day. (I guess I should start going to the J! homepage to get to J!6, so I see the news.) And I hadn't been expecting another test now since I, too, took the test in January. I live in San Diego, and I haven't heard any news about invites for the auditions that were on the list to occur here. Anyway, thanks to your post I'm registered to take tonight's test. Perhaps they'll look at the results of both tests for those of us in this situation?
Not a problem! Glad to have you sign up. For my sake, I hope they look at both tests when finally sending out the invites for LA and I'll see you at the auditions! *knocks on wood*
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

Tybalteon wrote:
merlekins wrote:I'm beside myself! Got the call today!!!!!

Online Test -- January 2016
Audition Email -- June 15, 2016
Audition in Las Vegas -- July 16, 2016
"The Call"-- October 5, 2016
Taping on November 9, 2016

Lauri indicated that the next taping after that wouldn't be until November 29
(after I brazenly asked, "What happens if I win Game 5 that day and need to come back?" )
Congrats! Best of luck to you in November!

With this new online test ending this week, I realized that emails were never sent out for LA from the online test from January (unless I missed that conversation). Are there any ideas/thoughts to whether the LA emails will be sent out based on the results of the January test or the October test? It would be slightly annoying to have selected LA as my audition city for January, pass the test, only to have them never use LA for that cycle and then send out invites to LA based on the results of this October test (which I bombed spectacularly) :|
I also picked LA at the January test. (I live in Virginia, but they weren't inviting me when I put anywhere near here, so I figured what the heck.) I also haven't heard any sign of anyone getting any LA audition invite since then.

The J! site now says there will be another test in the spring. Jeopardy seems to have switched to a model of encouraging people to take the online test whenever they want to, and then inviting people who passed based on their location. My guess is that going forward they won't decide to completely disregard the passers from one test as soon as a new one happens six months later. For one thing, they probably won't have time to hold auditions everywhere they want to go in those six months. And having a larger database of passers to draw from might be a good thing.

Still, the January test is now 9 months ago, and their focus is probably going to be on the people who passed the newer test. You never know what might happen, but I won't be expecting an invite to an LA audition anytime soon, though I'd be happy to go there (or DC, Baltimore, Philly ...).
june1595
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by june1595 »

-----Jeopardy College Audition in New Orleans-----

I got an email just this evening that I have been chosen to audition in New Orleans
for the College Championship this year. (I live in OK and so apparently, that was the closest place to audition for me.)

Hope ones who tried out for the College Online Test also get an email soon!
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

merlekins wrote:
JLJ wrote:Online Test in January 2016
Audition Email in mid-June 2016
Audition in Las Vegas-July 16, 2016
"The Call"--July 25, 2016 (I assumed it must be an obvious mistake of some sort)
Taping on August 23, 2016
Air Date: Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 2016.

n.b. It's been an exceedingly wild and busy summer, and loads of fun.

Also curious what audition session you attended in Vegas. I was there July 16 exactly. So happy for you! can't wait to see your game on Turkey Day! (???)
I was in the 11:30am audition on 7/16.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

JillyJill wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I just an audition invite to Charleston, SC for late October! I'm really happy about this because I'll be overseas when the tests take place earlier in October. Can't wait!!!
John! I can't believe I missed this! Congrats! Knock 'em dead! Be very high energy. You've got the smarts!

Thanks, Jill! I'm going to do my best as far as the energy part. I'm about 1-2 hrs north of Charleston so I'm debating whether or not to rent a hotel room the night before. I'm going to Vegas & getting home on a redeye Monday morning so driving down there Monday afternoon doesn't thrill me but the extra 2 hrs of sleep will help in the audition.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

I've been to an audition once before, in June 2009. I took the test that January and got an email in May. I actually got the call -- sometime the following January, if I remember correctly -- but couldn't accept because of a conflict with the taping date they were offering.

Since then, I've forgotten to take the test every time except for two: January 2013 (when I completely bombed the test, by my estimation, and predictably heard nothing back) and earlier this month. Now that I'm no longer in school, it's much more likely that I'll be able to actually go if I get the call this time…
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Oh dear - I always assumed that if you get The Call, they'll work with you to find a date that you can come. Sorry this happened to a fellow flutist. Hopefully your turn will come!
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

Well, I don't remember exactly what the conflict was, or whether they offered me a different date or not. They might have! It's been so long, I couldn't say for sure.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I got a call from Jeopardy, but not necessarily "The Call." They asked the typical questions one would expect ("Is your info correct? Do you have any relatives that work at such and such company? Are you a felon? When are you not available for taping?"), but did not provide an exact date, just stating they wanted to keep my info up-to-date. I assume that's a good thing? Has anyone else gotten this call before?
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

badgerfellow wrote:I got a call from Jeopardy, but not necessarily "The Call." They asked the typical questions one would expect ("Is your info correct? Do you have any relatives that work at such and such company? Are you a felon? When are you not available for taping?"), but did not provide an exact date, just stating they wanted to keep my info up-to-date. I assume that's a good thing? Has anyone else gotten this call before?
That's usually the call they do right before THE Call, so keep your phone close!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
badgerfellow wrote:I got a call from Jeopardy, but not necessarily "The Call." They asked the typical questions one would expect ("Is your info correct? Do you have any relatives that work at such and such company? Are you a felon? When are you not available for taping?"), but did not provide an exact date, just stating they wanted to keep my info up-to-date. I assume that's a good thing? Has anyone else gotten this call before?
That's usually the call they do right before THE Call, so keep your phone close!
Yes, depending on the answer to question number three...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Yes, depending on the answer to question number three...

Brian
Yeah, wait to commit your felonies until after you've been on. But you should also wait until after the TOC.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

alietr wrote:Yeah, wait to commit your felonies until after you've been on. But you should also wait until after the TOC.
At an audition some years ago, while we were all in a side room filling out our apps and waiting for the CC's, I wondered aloud if we were allowed to list our felonies under "interesting stories", or if duplication was disallowed.

It got a good laugh from the crowd. Sadly, I couldn't work up the guts to ask the same question during the actual Q&A session...
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I will warn you not to get your hopes too high -- once over a decade ago, a few months after an audition, I got one of those calls, but The Call never came.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Hmm, I wonder if the "are you a felon" call invariably precedes THE call?
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

lbligh wrote:Hmm, I wonder if the "are you a felon" call invariably precedes THE call?
I always thought that question was just standard procedure no matter what the circumstances.

I appreciate the responses from everyone. Thank you especially trainman for your response, hadn't seen anything else in this thread about such a call existing before. Either way, I can only be patient.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

badgerfellow wrote:
lbligh wrote:Hmm, I wonder if the "are you a felon" call invariably precedes THE call?
I always thought that question was just standard procedure no matter what the circumstances.

I appreciate the responses from everyone. Thank you especially trainman for your response, hadn't seen anything else in this thread about such a call existing before. Either way, I can only be patient.
I can make it official today!

Online test: January 26
Audition email: May 13
Audition in Detroit: June 12
"The Call", Part 1: November 8
"The Call", Part 2: December 9
Taping: January 24
Air Date: April 12
Last edited by badgerfellow on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

badgerfellow wrote:
badgerfellow wrote:

So I take it you're not a felon?
;)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Magna wrote:
badgerfellow wrote:
badgerfellow wrote:

So I take it you're not a felon?
;)
I am not a crook!