Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by seaborgium »

Magna wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
Magna wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:More on point, I don't know why the show thinks that going to any convention of random professionals is going to be a high yield strategy for finding good contestants. These people aren't traveling to Chicago to play trivia.
On the other hand, professionals are a good source of good contestants. They're somewhat more likely to have the qualities needed and wanted on the show than is the population at large.
Sure, if you could find who they are five years before they became professionals.
Not sure what you mean. If it's a convention of professionals, doesn't the attendees are professionals now? It wouldn't matter what they were like years ago.

Or maybe you meant that it's a conference for aspiring professionals, and they won't be professionals for a few years yet? Even if that's so, people at a conference like that are also somewhat more likely to have the qualities needed and wanted on the show.
I think AP is saying that youth is served in the J! contestant selection process.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Dr. J wrote:
Golf wrote: Never has been when it comes to quiz shows, never will be.
Care to elaborate? Just wondering how MUCH of a genetic freak I ought to consider myself.
Not a genetic freak, a sex freak.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Heads up to those going to the Detroit audition; I96 from Newburgh to Telegraph will be closed for construction, please make note of that when finding a route to get to the audition site.
quartinsession
Contributor

Post by quartinsession »

Just received an invitation for an audition in Boston on May 11. Anyone else? Freaking out a bit over here! :)
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

quartinsession wrote:Just received an invitation for an audition in Boston on May 11. Anyone else? Freaking out a bit over here! :)
Dammit!! Nothing!! And I finally "passed" (at least if conventional wisdom holds). I will be obsessively checking email now...
BobF

Post by BobF »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Heads up to those going to the Detroit audition; I96 from Newburgh to Telegraph will be closed for construction, please make note of that when finding a route to get to the audition site.
I'd walk to Detroit if it meant an invite to another in-person audition! :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
marsht9
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by marsht9 »

Hi. Is there a post detailing the audition procedure? My friend got an audition invite the other day.

The more details the better. Thanks!
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

marsht9 wrote:Hi. Is there a post detailing the audition procedure? My friend got an audition invite the other day.

There is plenty of information to be found by googling. What city did your "friend" get the audition for?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

marsht9 wrote:Hi. Is there a post detailing the audition procedure? My friend got an audition invite the other day.

There's a lot of discussion in various places on this board, but no single thread that I know of. Here's a general description from someone who got on the show:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=603&p=26280
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I wrote a blog post after my unsuccessful 2009 audition. It was pretty similar last summer, except I was not nearly as nervous and I don't remember anyone getting special prizes for traveling from afar (just pens for everyone).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If you do a search on this board with not only "audition" but include "maggie" or "glenn" or "corina" or "robert" then it can help narrow results to posts about the in person auditions. You can also try "mock" with "audition"
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Has anyone heard about Providence? If that was indeed a chosen city*, I would think it would be soon after (or soon before) Boston.

* Do they ever actually not go to a listed city, as they always warn that they might not, or is that a boilerplate disclaimer?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

First, send your friend over here to play with the J-Archive and look at the Pavlov thread.

Basically, be prepared. Write down the "fun facts" and be ready to talk about them. Your friend will get to play a mock game and do a brief interview. The idea is to be friendly, enthusiastic, and happy to be there. Practice talking about yourself for a minute or so. Speak up, too.
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

Does anyone know for sure if Philadelphia will be an audition city this year? (It was an option during the online test registration, but I think that's not a guarantee.) Or perhaps somewhere else in the mid-Atlantic region?
bevnar

Post by bevnar »

Did they tell you where in Boston in your audition. I thought I had passed the test but as I have not heard from there it seems its another wasted run.
bevnar

Post by bevnar »

MarkBarrett wrote:If you do a search on this board with not only "audition" but include "maggie" or "glenn" or "corina" or "robert" then it can help narrow results to posts about the in person auditions. You can also try "mock" with "audition"
Where in Boston is the in person test.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Dr. J wrote:
Care to elaborate? Just wondering how MUCH of a genetic freak I ought to consider myself.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's between Dr. J and Mr. Dr. J!
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

NYCScribbler wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Dr. J wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's between Dr. J and Mr. Dr. J!
Bow Chicka Wow Wow...
davey

Post by davey »

darkgreenblue wrote:Does anyone know for sure if Philadelphia will be an audition city this year? (It was an option during the online test registration, but I think that's not a guarantee.) Or perhaps somewhere else in the mid-Atlantic region?
For the first time I'm aware of, New York was not a choice this year. So I'm expecting to go to Philly if chosen. They better have auditions there!
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

quartinsession wrote:Just received an invitation for an audition in Boston on May 11. Anyone else? Freaking out a bit over here! :)
Yeah, I got the Hap-E-Mail Thursday too, also for Boston on 5/11. Best of luck, see ya there!
Mark P.
Salem, MA
I intend to die from living.