Tuesday, January 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6757, 2014-01-21

CONTESTANTS
Emily Gadek, a web and social media editor from Palm Springs, California
Priscilla Emery, a records management consultant from Longwood, Florida
Sarah McNitt, a study abroad adviser originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 5-day cash winnings total $89,398)

OPENING REMARKS
At the end of yesterday's

program, sarah told me --

She said, "I just want to win

"so that I qualify for

the tournament of champions

Because I don't want

this all to end."

She's having a good time.

And she's performed

extremely well.

So, priscilla and emily,

You guys have to be

at your very best today.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ENTERTAINMENT BY THE NUMBERS (4/5)
RETAIL THERAPY (5/5)
"C" THE WORLD (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OBAMA-RAMA (5/5)
RHYME LINE (5/5) (All correct responses will rhyme with the word "line".)
& THE FISH WAS THIS BIG! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 12 R, 2 W
Priscilla: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Priscilla found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Sarah had $600, Priscilla had $800, and Emily was at $600. Priscilla made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

"C" THE WORLD $1000: This former district of south central Scotland gave its name to a terrier & a breed of draught horse
(Priscilla: What is Cairn?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Emily: $2,600
Sarah: $2,200
Priscilla: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There are services out there that will test your DNA. Emily Gadek had her DNA tested and discovered something. Was it good news or bad news?

Emily: It's interesting news. I found out that I am 3% Neanderthal, which is higher than average, so...

[ laughter ]

Alex: How do they determine this?

Emily: I guess they look for genetic markers in your DNA that come from certain regions, and they've been able to identify these markers as being from the Neanderthal.

Alex: Hmm. But that's --you're right. That is most interesting.

Emily: Yeah.

Alex: Great conversation at a cocktail party.

Emily: It is.

Alex: Priscilla Emery from Florida - You collect...

Priscilla: Postcards. I've been collecting postcards since I was 9 years old, and I have about over 100 --hundreds of thousands of them.

Alex: Wow. Most exotic place?

Priscilla: Um, well, exotic places, we've had all over --Ceylon and those kinds of things, but the most unusual was an 1898 postcard of a Romanian restaurant.

Alex: Oh, boy.

Priscilla: And that was very worn.

Alex: Do you know if that Romanian restaurant still exists?

Priscilla: Yes, it does.

Alex: Hey, how about that? All right. You serve good food, you last for a long time.

Alex: Sarah McNitt is our champion. Now, she's won a lot of money, but she's already figured out how she's going to spend a great deal of it. You're gonna do what?

Sarah: We promised the cat that because she couldn't come to California that we would buy her the most expensive litter box that we could come up with.

Alex: And your cat understands this?

Sarah: Well, who knows?

Alex: Who knows? Cats are very smart. They control us, you know? We're going to continue now.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENTERTAINMENT BY THE NUMBERS $600: The part-Borg, all-beauty Seven of Nine was played by Jeri Ryan on this "Star Trek" incarnation
(Sarah: What is Deep Space Nine?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Emily: $5,000
Sarah: $5,000
Priscilla: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HIGH MAINTENANCE (3/5)
HISTORY (5/5)
POETIC LICENSE (3/3)
BELLA ITALIA (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MUSICAL RAP SHEET (3/5)
INCOMPLETE "PASS" (4/5) (PASS coming up in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Priscilla: 6 R, 1 W
Emily: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Sarah had $9,000, Priscilla had $5,000, and Emily was at $5,000. Sarah wagered $2,000.

BELLA ITALIA $1200: Just a short drive from Milan, this lake in Lombardy is the deepest lake in Italy at 1,350 feet
(Sarah: What is Cuomo?)
(Alex: Ohh, no. It's not Cuomo, like the New York governor, it's [*] - no "u" in there.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BELLA ITALIA $800: This Sicilian capital was founded by the Phoenicians & known to the ancient world as Panormus
(Emily: What is Naples?)
(Priscilla: What is Syracuse?)

INCOMPLETE "PASS" $1200: This "P.M." phrase means to be approved in an inspection

BELLA ITALIA $2000: This Roman piazza known for its al fresco dining & drinking was built on the site of the stadium of Domitian

HIGH MAINTENANCE $400: A window washer is supported by this platform to get that high-rise glass shiny

HIGH MAINTENANCE $2000: Some like to work atop utility poles fixing these objects that reduce voltage so your home can use electricity

MUSICAL RAP SHEET $800: Title "Blues" suffered in a Glenn Frey song

MUSICAL RAP SHEET $2000: Cher, not Shakespeare, shot this title New Orleans fortune teller after catching her with her man

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $11,400
Priscilla: $11,000
Emily: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SPORTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sarah: Wager $10,601 to cover Priscilla.
Priscilla: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Emily, hoping that you give the correct response and Sarah doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,801 to cover Emily's doubled score, but no more than $10,200 if you want to top Sarah on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,599 and win if both Sarah and Emily miss Final.
Emily: You ought to try wagering between $1,601 and $6,200. This will top a $0 wager by Priscilla while still beating Sarah and Priscilla on the Triple Stumper (should Sarah wager to cover Priscilla's doubled score and Priscilla wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Twice the host country, this nation of 4 1/2 million leads the world in total winter Olympic medals

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $9,400 - $9,000 = $400 (What is Finland?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Priscilla: $11,000 + $7,000 = $18,000 (What is Norway?) (New champion: $18,000)
Sarah: $11,400 - $302 = $11,098 (What is Russia?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $13,400, 20 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Priscilla: $11,800, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: $9,400, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 20/59 = .339
Priscilla: 16/59 = .271
Emily: 13/58 = .224
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"C" THE WORLD $600: In these maps, from 1965 and 1998, you can see the urban growth of this African city on a river

OBAMA-RAMA $200: (Robert Gibbs delivers the clue.) From 2009 to 2011 I served as President Obama;s press secretary; in 2008, while our families were vacationing together in this, his native state, he served as babysitter for my 5-year-old son

& THE FISH WAS THIS BIG! $400: Don't struggle clumsily - identify the summer type of this, which can grow to almost three feet long

& THE FISH WAS THIS BIG! $800: A general term for a small fish; most American ones are less than 6 inches, but one in the Colorado River can run 6 feet
(Sarah: What is a guppy?)

HISTORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us a map of Argentina and the adjacent Atlantic Ocean including a group of islands.) In 1982, British forces made a 200-mile war zone and landed near Port San Carlos in this territory to attack its capital overland - a winning strategy

POETIC LICENSE $400: "I dwell in possibility, a fairer house than prose" begins one of her poems

POETIC LICENSE $800: His seven part 1798 poem tells of a senseless killing at sea - many deaths, much suffering, and redemption
(Emily: What is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?)
(Alex: Yes, the author of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.)

POETIC LICENSE $1200: In 1844, she noticed "colors seen by candlelight will not look the same by day" - her hubby wrote a bit too
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Clydesdale
Star Trek: Voyager
Lake Como
Palermo
pass muster
Piazza Navona
a suspended scaffold
transformers
"The Smuggler's Blues"
"Dark Lady"
Norway
Cairo
Hawaii
a flounder
minnow
the Falklands
Emily Dickinson
Coleridge
Elizabeth (Barrett) Browning
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

International Sports
Twice the host country, this nation of 4.5 million leads the world in total Winter Olympic medals.

Spoiler
What is Norway? Emily said Finland; Sarah said Russia.

Sarah McNitt: $11,400-$302=$11,098
Priscilla Emery: $11,000+$7,000=$18,000...now a 1-day champion with $18,000
Emily Gadek: $9,400-$9,000=$400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Happily ran Retail.

I thought the Star Trek clue in By the Numbers for $600 was major negbait, since all the other titles had numbers in them, which could easily lead to you guessing Deep Space Nine.

Really, all you wanted on $1000 was "pine" given "conifer"? I clammed because I was certain that just "pine" would be BMSed, but I got the other four with ease.

Old Man = marlin? News to me.

I knew "Trout Fishing in America" was a book because there's a folk duo I really like that named themselves after the book.

====

So that's what the Kremlin is. And I clammed on a chance to say "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!!" because I thought it was too easy for $1200.

I ended up 0/5 in History.

The Musical Rap Sheet seemed kind of tough. I have NHO the songs at $800, $1600, or $2000.

====

Absolutely no guess on FJ!
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats, Sarah! Your winning streak has ended but you did very well to win five games. And congrats to Priscilla, the new champion.

I picked up Lach trash on "Palermo", "pass muster" and "transformers"

I got FJ. I wonder why Sarah said "Russia" when the clue said four-and-a-half million people? Perhaps she will tell us here on the board.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought the ruling on "Como" a little unfair.

Got FJ based on the population and 2 time holder of the games clue. Russia was a bit of a headscratcher guess.
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

Got FJ immediately, although I couldn't tell you where I picked up that statistic.

Wagering-wise...

Still don't like betting negatively out of the lead but I think I understand why Sarah did so. Sports might be a category that women might be stereotypically worse at, although it feels so wrong to say that.

Priscilla's bet is a bit mindboggling to me. She'd need to wager at least 7800 to cover Emily's double - but no more than 10200 to stay ahead of Sarah if she got it wrong and made the expected bet. Alternatively, she could wager no more than 1600 and try and win the triple stumper that way.

Emily wagered way too much. While I think she needs to wager at least 2000 in case Sarah goes zero, she shouldn't go anywhere above 6200, as that'd win the triple stumper on expected covers.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

If ever there was an FJ where a random guess is better than leaving it blank, this was it.

Even if you have absolutely no idea, you could just name a country that plays some winter sports, and/or has probably hosted the Winter Olympics.

Canada, the US, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and Japan are all better responses than leaving it blank. Actually, writing down "What is Libya?" is no *worse* than leaving it blank, as far as your score is concerned.

I got this one, but I didn't know it. It was an educated guess. That's pretty much how I've gotten 4 of the past 5 FJs.

I'm from Canada, so to begin with, I follow the Winter Olympics more than the average person. I know that Canada and Norway are two countries that are known for doing better at the Winter Olympics than the summer ones. Population of 4.5 million = not Canada. I also considered Switzerland and Austria. I don't have a good sense of the population of any of these countries, but my train of thought was something like "4.5 million = small population = maybe a more remote country, further north." I also knew that Norway had definitely hosted in 1994 (Lillehammer) and thought it was plausible that Oslo, or another Norwegian city, had hosted sometime earlier. (I felt like most of the Scandinavian capitals had.)

So, I wrote down "Norway" and stuck with it, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see either Switzerland or Austria as the correct response. (It turns out now, after looking it up, that both Switzerland and Austria are closer to 8 million, which is actually sort of close to 4.5 million in terms of orders of magnitude.)
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I thought "What is Pine?" in the rhyme category was a little easy for $1000 in J!

Norway was an instaget for me. Having gone to the SLC olympics in 2002 with Norway winning, I knew that Lillehammer hosted in 94(?) so I thought Oslo must've hosted it in the past. The population helped cement the answer.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I knew it was Norway/Finland/Sweden/one of those (went w/ Norway) :D
Russia 4.5 million??? :shock:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Finland on FJ, here.

Congrats to Sarah on the run!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Leander wrote:I thought the ruling on "Como" a little unfair.
The ruling seemed like the correct one to me, but I thought that "Lake Como" was very hard for the middle of the board. Geography is my best category but I didn't know it, though I probably should have. At the very least, it was harder than the "Apennines" clue that was below it.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

esrever wrote:I wonder why Sarah said "Russia" when the clue said four-and-a-half million people? Perhaps she will tell us here on the board.
skullturf wrote:If ever there was an FJ where a random guess is better than leaving it blank, this was it.

Even if you have absolutely no idea, you could just name a country that plays some winter sports, and/or has probably hosted the Winter Olympics.

Canada, the US, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and Japan are all better responses than leaving it blank.
That's pretty much it. I went, "Who would win a lot of medals and might have hosted twice? The US has hosted more than that, so... Russia?" I sort of glossed over the number when trying to come up with an answer.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Nah, if they'd asked me to spell it, I would have spelled it with a U too. I don't know why I thought it was the same as the governors' name, but that's how it was stored in my brain!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

They'd probably have been more lenient if there weren't any famous Cuomo's. But that made it clear she was (alas) saying the wrong thing.

And I will add that Lake Como is every bit as gorgeous as it's made out to be.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My three sided Scandinavian coin landed on the right country. Well, I did put some thought into it. I knew about Norway hosting in 1994 but wasn't sure about earlier. But I was pretty sure they are a Winter games power, so I went with them.

If Emily hadn't been negged on the Mariner and had still picked the same clue Sarah did and Sarah still got it, the scores would have been $11,400/$11,000/$11,000. I wonder what the wagers would have been then.

I messed up the same clue. I always transpose the author's middle and last names.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

sarah0114 wrote:
Nah, if they'd asked me to spell it, I would have spelled it with a U too. I don't know why I thought it was the same as the governors' name, but that's how it was stored in my brain!
My roommate, a New Yorker with lots of Italian family, was totally with you.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Leander wrote:Russia was a bit of a headscratcher guess.
If you don't consider that Russia's Olympic history and medal count would be divided among Russia, the USSR, and the 1992 United Team (easy to forget in 30 seconds) and focus on the "leads... total Winter Olympics medals," Russia's not a bad guess. (In fact, looking at Wikipedia, combining the three puts Russia ahead of Norway.)

I got it as a tossup between Norway and Switzerland. I'm glad I didn't realize Austria had hosted the Winter Olympics – twice, even – or I certainly would have said that instead.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

Russia?! (I did have the FJ, as I thought I had heard the particular fact in a pub trivia game a while back. I still wasn't totally sure it wasn't Austria, as I couldn't think back to when Norway hosted the Winter Games apart from 1994, and I knew for sure Austria had hosted at least twice. Turns out Austria also has about 8 million people.)

Of course, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Sarah played for the TS, which makes perfect strategic sense - especially if she's not comfortable with the category - thereby forcing the other two contestants to affirmatively hit FJ to prevail. Unfortunately for her, Priscilla hit the question and bet enough to pass her.

Interestingly enough, if Emily had gotten FJ, she would have won from third. Priscilla held too much back..if she was going to bet any more than $1600, she should have simply gone to $7801 to cover an all-in wager by Emily.

As it turns out, it didn't really matter because Priscilla had a lone FJ get, and in this type of situation the lone get is pretty much always going to prevail.

Congrats to Sarah on her run.

Other observations: J round seemed unusually easy tonight, DJ less so but probably still below average. I picked up a decent chunk of Lach Trash tonight.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Plactus wrote:
Leander wrote:Russia was a bit of a headscratcher guess.
If you don't consider that Russia's Olympic history and medal count would be divided among Russia, the USSR, and the 1992 United Team (easy to forget in 30 seconds) and focus on the "leads... total Winter Olympics medals," Russia's not a bad guess. (In fact, looking at Wikipedia, combining the three puts Russia ahead of Norway.)

I got it as a tossup between Norway and Switzerland. I'm glad I didn't realize Austria had hosted the Winter Olympics – twice, even – or I certainly would have said that instead.
I meant a headscratcher based on the population and hosting twice clues. I don't think Russia or the Soviet Union hosted a Winter Olympics.

I believe the combined Germanies might have the medal count lead.