Wednesday, January 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6758, 2014-01-22

CONTESTANTS
Zachary Tomanelli, an online organizer from Brooklyn, New York
Karen Ruckert, a civil rights attorney originally from Topeka, Kansas
Priscilla Emery, a records management consultant from Longwood, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. My wish for today's game is that it winds up being as good as yesterday's, in which Priscilla became the champion and picked up $18,000. Karen and Zachary, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERATURE CATS WOULD LOVE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV CARTOONS (5/5)
ETIQUETTE (5/5)
CLEAN UP YOUR ACT (4/5)
POLITICAL DEFINITIONS (4/5)
ALSO ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Zachary: 12 R, 0 W
Karen: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Priscilla: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Zachary: $2,600
Karen: $2,600
Priscilla: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There are times when people we love play tricks on us. That happened to Zachary Tomanelli when he was in Ireland, and his girlfriend did what?

Zachary: Well, she took me on a bike-riding tour of the Aran Islands, which wouldn't be a problem, except I didn't know how to ride a bike.

Alex: And how long was this bicycle tour supposed to be?

Zachary: Oh, it was like 20 miles. It was pretty long.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah? You came through that okay?

Zachary: I did. I learned how to ride a bike by the end of it.

Alex: Oh, okay. All right.

Alex: Karen Ruckert, civil rights attorney. This lady has a fear of heights. So, how do you overcome a fear of heights? She did it in a unique way.

Karen: That's right. I decided to try trapeze in April, and I ended up really, really enjoying it. So now I go every week, and I'm working on my seventh trick.

Alex: So you're a flier?

Karen: Yeah, yeah. Totally.

Alex: And how high are these trapezes that you're working out on right now, and is there a net? There must be a net.

Karen: Well, first of all, yes, there is definitely a net, and I'm attached to lines, so someone is helping. But we're two stories in the air --23 feet --when we take off.

Alex: Now, your trainer --when does he or she say you will be ready to fly without the apparatus attached to you?

Karen: Oh, there are a lot of requirements for that --a lot. You've got to be able to do, like, 20 pull-ups, and I can't even do one yet, but I'm working on it.

Alex: Oh. You also have to be sober.

Karen: Right.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Priscilla Emery is our champion. She is a records-management consultant, which means what?

Priscilla: I help organizations organize and understand how to manage their electronic records so that they can respond to court requests, audits, those kinds of things, stay out of jail.

Alex: There are a lot of government regulations they have to deal with, and you help them deal with those.

Priscilla: Yes.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Priscilla found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Priscilla had $800, Karen had $4,800, and Zachary was at $6,400. Priscilla wagered $200.

LITERATURE CATS WOULD LOVE $800: Kitty doesn't like the knitting so much in the Debbie Macomber book called "A Good" this, but loves the threads

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALSO ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM $400: Deodorant with an "Xtreme Fresh" version

ALSO ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM $1000: British term for a gambler

POLITICAL DEFINITIONS $200: From the Latin for "fellowship", it's a temporary arrangement between political parties to form a government

CLEAN UP YOUR ACT $400: Present a clue in charades, or for a kid, behave badly to express emotion:
act ___
(Karen: What is act up?)

LITERATURE CATS WOULD LOVE $600: Kitty's ears perk up when she hears the title of this Daphne du Maurier tale of fierce finches & robins

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Zachary: $6,400
Karen: $5,800
Priscilla: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RIVERS (2/5)
GO WITH THE "FLO" (5/5)
TIME OF THE CAVEMAN (2/3)
ACTORS IN BIOPICS (4/5)
SOUTH AMERICAN HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ART AT THE GETTY CENTER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: A visit to the world-famous Getty Center.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Karen: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Priscilla: 4 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Zachary: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Karen snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Priscilla had $1,000, Karen had $10,600, and Zachary was at $6,000. Karen wagered $1,000.

ART AT THE GETTY CENTER $2000: (Alex presents the clue from the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.) Edouard Manet depicted national pride in the flag-lined "Rue Mosnier," but an amputee, perhaps a war veteran, shows the costs & sacrifices on this Fête de la Paix, a national holiday to celebrate France's recovery from this disastrous 1870-71 war
(Karen: What is Bastille Day?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Priscilla who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Priscilla had $1,000, Karen had $16,800, and Zachary was at $5,600. Priscilla wagered $2,000.

SOUTH AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: In 1888 this country abolished slavery & freed about 750,000 slaves, many of whom worked on rubber plantations
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now.)
(Priscilla: I'll try for $2,000.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACTORS IN BIOPICS $1200: Anne in "The Other Boleyn Girl"
(Zachary: Who is Emily Blunt?)

RIVERS $1200: In Mexico, what we call the Rio Grande is called this, also the title of a John Wayne movie

RIVERS $1600: The longest river entirely in Spain, it rises in the Cantabrian Mountains

RIVERS $2000: The name of this river that runs through Myanmar is thought to come from a Sanskrit term meaning "elephant river"

SOUTH AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: This city named for Bolivia's first president was founded in 1538 on what had been a Quechua settlement

SOUTH AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: In April 1992 this Peruvian president of Japanese descent suspended the constitution & dissolved the legislature

TIME OF THE CAVEMAN $2000: One of the 1st hominids in Europe bears the name of this German city near where its fossils were found in 1907
(Karen: What is Neanderthal?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Karen: $16,400 (lock game)
Zachary: $6,000
Priscilla: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY TITLE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock-tie for second place.
Karen: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Zachary: Wager $0 to guarantee second place.
Priscilla: Risking everything might allow you to tie Zachary's score, but that won't win you second place because you're behind going into Final Jeopardy! Your best hope may be that Zachary does something stupid, like fruitlessly wager everything. Risking $0 or some other small amount might vault you into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Lord Henry tells him, "What an exquisite life you have had!...It has not marred you. You are still the same"

FINAL SCORES
Priscilla: $3,000 - $2,999 = $1 (Who is David Copperfield?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Zachary: $6,000 - $1,000 = $5,000 (Who is Nicholas Nickleby) (2nd place: $2,000)
Karen: $16,400 - $4,000 = $12,400 (Who was Gulliver?) (New champion: $12,400)
(Alex: He was still the same, but a portrait of him was taking a beating.)
(Alex: [revealing Karen's response] No. The Picture of [*].[/i])

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Karen: $17,400, 20 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Zachary: $6,000, 16 R, 3 W
Priscilla: $3,600, 9 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $27,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Karen: 20/59 = .339
Zachary: 16/58 = .276
Priscilla: 9/60 = .150
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ETIQUETTE $1000: During the wedding ceremony, this person holds the groom's wedding ring & the bride's bouquet
(Priscilla: Who is the best man?)

LITERATURE CATS WOULD LOVE $200: There are 4 servings of seafood in this Dr. Seuss title, & kitty doesn't mind at all
(Karen: What are Green Eggs & Ham?)

TV CARTOONS $600: A Kimmunicator is one tool that helped this Disney Channel girl fight crime

ART AT THE GETTY CENTER $400: (Alex presents the clue from the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.) After his self-mutilation & hospitalization, he entered an asylum in Saint-Rémy in 1889, where he demonstrated the regenerative powers of the earth in his painting "Irises"

ART AT THE GETTY CENTER $800: (Alex presents the clue from the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.) A recent acquisition by the Getty is by Watteau from around 1720, with performers dressed as Pierrot, Harlequin, & Scaramouche -- characters in this Italian-named theatrical form

ART AT THE GETTY CENTER $1200: (Alex presents the clue from the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.) The carving "Head With Horns" may be a symbolic self-portrait by this artist who carved it while he was living in Tahiti; in spite of his pampered upbringing, he considered himself to be a savage, untamed by civilized French society--hmm

ART AT THE GETTY CENTER $1600: (Alex presents the clue from the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.) He was just 29 years old in 1870 when he painted "La Promenade," in which the dappled light filters through the foliage, an effect that would become a hallmark of his later work
(Priscilla: Who's Monet?)
(Zachary: Who is Seurat?)

RIVERS $800: It empties into the English Channel at Le Havre
(Priscilla: What is the Rhône?)
(Zachary: What is the Thames?)

TIME OF THE CAVEMAN $1600: The Lascaux cave paintings show aurochs, a beast 6' at the shoulder from which these modern farm animals descend
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a Yarn
Right Guard
punter
coalition
act out
"The Birds"
the Franco-Prussian War
Brazil
Natalie Portman
the Rio Bravo
the Ebro
the Irrawaddy
Sucre
Alberto Fujimori
Heidelberg
Dorian Gray
the maid of honor
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Kim Possible
van Gogh
commedia dell'arte
(Paul) Gauguin
(Pierre-Auguste) Renoir
the Seine
cows
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Literary Title Characters
Lord Henry tells him, "What an exquisite life you have had!...it has not marred you. You are still the same".

Spoiler
Who is Dorian Gray? Priscilla said David Copperfield; Zachary said Nicholas Nickleby; Karen said Gulliver.

Karen Ruckert: $16,400-$4,000=$12,400...now a 1-day champion with $12,400
Zachary Tomanelli: $6,000-$1,000=$5,000
Priscilla Emery: $3,000-$2,999=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also took a tour through Dickens but reread the clue and got it right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clammed on résumé since I've never written one, and thought they had a name for that specific part of the résumé.

Can't believe my brain was too slow to turn "Guard" into "Right Guard". Guess I've used Old Spice too long to remember any other deodorant brands.

Stereos have receivers?

Coalition was a bit rough at $200 IMO.

I drooled at the sight of the TV Cartoons category, but I had absolutely no idea at $200 since I haven't seen The Simpsons in forever. And then I had to get the other four to make it even worse. (Mmm, Kim Possible… <3)

====

Biopics went entirely over my head. NHO Lou Diamond Phillips or any of those movies.

Overall, I had a God-awful DJ!, with $400 in "Flo" being my only get. I whiffed on the first two Rivers (said Hudson and Thames, respectively), and clammed on florid, Rio Bravo, and Van Gogh (lost track of the tl;dr clue).

This means that for the fourth time since I first started tracking my Coryats in November 2009, I lost money in DJ! (-$800 to be exact).

====

"Lord Henry—" "Nope, not gonna get this in a million years."
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash on "Right Guard", "punter" and "act out"

Didn't get FJ. Wrote down David Copperfield instead.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Visited the Getty in the last year, it is amazing. Even so, still found a way to miss the $800 clue. A good example of categories not always being as advertised.

in DJ, one category left, LTAM, both Priscilla and Zachary way behind. Priscilla goes to the top of the category for giggles, Zachary goes to the bottom and actually tries to win the game.

Then in FJ Priscilla leaves $1 behind for absolutely no reason while Zachary risks a sure $2k for absolutely no reason. I think from now on I'm going to look at Jeopardy as 60 questions of good practice and then FJ as some random TruTV reality show.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I fell for the same trap that one contestant did by blurting out "Best Man" instead of "Maid of Honor". The clue said something about "holding the groom's ring", but I guess the best man holds the ring that the groom gives to the bride, i.e. the bride's ring.

For the DD in the cats and literature category, I correctly guessed "yarn" by just filling in the blanks in a way that made sense, despite not being familiar with the title.

For the top clue in the Getty Museum category, the moment they said the words "his self-mutilation", I blurted out "Van Gogh" without even waiting for the rest of the clue. Same with "Tahiti" and "Gauguin".

Like the contestants, I missed the three bottom clues in the Rivers category. I've heard of "Rio Bravo" (the John Wayne movie and the river) but couldn't come up with it in time. The other two seemed on the tricky side to me (usually a river on the Iberian peninsula is the Tagus, and usually a river in southeast Asia is the Mekong).

I picked up four pieces of Lach Trash in the J round, but only one in the DJ round (namely, Fujimori).

Didn't know FJ per se, but "Lord" with an English name made me think (stereotypically, but not automatically) of British Victorian literature. The clue didn't contain much to go on, but it seemed like the character's physical appearance was relevant. That was enough to take me to Dorian Gray (and I was relieved that we only had to remember the character's name, sparing us from deciding whether the title contains the word "picture" or "portrait". [It's "picture", right?])
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Clammed on résumé since I've never written one, and thought they had a name for that specific part of the résumé.

Stereos have receivers?

Judges: I'm an Education major, CV accepted in place of Resume?

TPH, Indeed. They're referred to as such, specifically when referring to 5.1 Surround Sound systems. It is the big DVD player looking thing that powers the speakers.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Call me a snob (or worse) but I would have been pleased to see five stand and stares for TV Cartoons. One of these days, maybe. Sorry to see them (3? 4?) for Rivers. I thought it was an excellent FJ, perhaps because I had no idea at first but figured it out.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

With the exception of a few misvalued clues, this was an excellent board. This is the quality of writing that I expect to see in the Battle of the Decades tournament.

Spongebob's best friend seemed pretty hard for a second row clue, especially since the three below it seemed easier. Then again, maybe it's better to make the most trivial clue a lower valued ones.

These contestants didn't seem to know Geography or History too well. The clues on the Ebro and Irrawaddy rivers were admittedly hard, but at the same time they're also basically study list clues that you can't be leaving on the board. I also thought that the "Brazil" DD was too easy for the bottom row.

I had no idea on FJ. The name made me think of Shakespeare, so I guessed Macbeth, even though I was pretty sure that there was no character in the play with that name. I want to say that it was a vague clue, but since plenty of people have already posted and said that they got it then it was probably okay.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

wallzy41 wrote:TPH, Indeed. They're referred to as such, specifically when referring to 5.1 Surround Sound systems. It is the big DVD player looking thing that powers the speakers.
Every stereo I've ever owned has been just a box that I hit the radio buttons on/insert the tape or CD and two speakers. Which part exactly is the receiver?
mrparadise wrote:Call me a snob (or worse) but I would have been pleased to see five stand and stares for TV Cartoons.
You're a snob. Nothing wrong with adults who watch cartoons. :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

The receiver clue was just wrong. They described an amplifier. The receiver (to answer TPH) is the amp integrated with other functionality, such as a tuner.

Count me as another David Copperfield (and a 0/3 week so far).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

skullturf wrote:Same with "Tahiti" and "Gauguin".
That was a frustrating clue for me. I recognized "Tahiti" as the keyword – it's a magical place – but had no clue which artist should have immediately popped to mind. Still, if recent history is any indication (e.g., Christ the Redeemer yesterday after the last ToC), I'll get it next time.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Missed FJ; I thought The Count of Monte Christo instead.

Great boards but weak contestants. The new champ looks familiar but no mention was made. I hate the cartoon categories too but I did get 4/5 tonight. Missed Kim Possible.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StevenH wrote: Spongebob's best friend seemed pretty hard for a second row clue, especially since the three below it seemed easier.
What was hard about it? If you've ever watched it, you would know Patrick. (I showed off by saying "Who is Star?")
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Agreed. I barely watch Spongebob since I find the theme song and title character almost equally annoying, but even I knew that his friend is named Patrick Star.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

The FJ category isn't exactly in my wheelhouse, but it was an insta-get. This may be the most unlikely ts of all-time. I too wondered why Zachary bet at all. Did he not realize he had a lock-tie? Zachary, if you're out there, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do they tell the players that if there is a tie for second, the pre-FJ leader gets $2,000 and the other gets $1,000?

Count me as one who was glad I didn't have to do the picture/portrait coin flip.
davey

Post by davey »

wallzy41 wrote:
Judges: I'm an Education major, CV accepted in place of Resume?
Some sources on the web say that a CV is by definition longer than 1 or 2 pages.