Wardrobe Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

I spent:

Less than a few seconds
8%
Thought about it a little bit
28%
Thought about it a lot
64%

Total votes: 53

bpmod
Rank

Re: Wardrobe Poll

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Speaking of ties, this is probably the best thread to bring this up:

I like keeping my ties looped because I'm not a great tie-tier - I can do it, thanks to YouTube how-to videos, but they don't look perfect, and definitely not good enough for national tv. Would wardrobe help me make my tie look good? Would another contestant?
I'm a really good tie-tier. I don't know if you can tell by my avatar picture if it would look good enough for (inter)national TV, but somebody asked me just prior (like less than 5 minutes prior) to the show where that pic was taken if I had tied the tie myself. A simple yes would probably have sufficed, but I chose instead to untie it completely and retie it while said person watched (and laughed).

Oh, and if I were competing against you on Jeopardy! (which we know due to S&P will never happen), I would definitely help you tie your tie. I can't count the number of graduation and confirmation ceremonies where I have provided said service to the young males.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

My experience with J! Contestants leads me to believe that someone would absolutely help you with your tie. Contestant wrangler Robert James could probably offer a seminar right on the spot. :). By the way, this time around I sent pics of my outfit to Robert and Maggie before I went to get a thumbs up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bpmod wrote:I'm a really good tie-tier.
Would you call yourself a top-tier tie-tier?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

:arrow: <facepalm> Sigh, in fact, yes I'm the very spitting image of a properly tricked out tongue-twisted top tier tie tier... take your Four in Hand and Cross your Grantchester with a Windsor but never ever Diagonally bend a Balthus to an Oriental unless Lord Kelvin's in his kelvinator and pray to St Andrew that Cavendish is in a bubble and Christensen concurs that George is in His Hanover and all's right with the world!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

If you can't tie a tie well, why would even consider wearing one on the show?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:If you can't tie a tie well, why would even consider wearing one on the show?
Clip-on?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BaltimoreBoy
Valued Contributor

Post by BaltimoreBoy »

goatman wrote:I f I ever get on and make it past game 1 I will wear a Bolo tie and then a Lariat lol. I doubt you can bring hats to the podium...
Man, I am so pissed that I didn't go with my original thought to wear one of my bolo ties! I have a nice collection of them. When I used to be a middle school teacher, we had a middle school division head who would wear bow ties. He was an ostentatious, preppy sort. To counteract that, I would have "bolo tie Fridays." Not the usual look in Baltimore. However, when I suggested wearing a bolo tie on J!, my teenage nieces were mortified. They were very familiar with my bolo ties. And I certainly didn't want them to suffer because of their favorite uncle's choice of clothing... So, it was a blue blazer, button-down shirt, and Magritte print necktie -- but definitely NOT a bow tie.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

skullturf wrote:People who've been on the show can say more than I can about this point, but I've heard that it's reasonably common for a male contestant to bring a tie that gets nixed by the staff, because of certain patterns being less desirable for TV. So there may be a lot of contestants who intended to wear a tie but then end up tie-less.
On a technical front, they are trying to avoid what is called the Moiré effect. It is the funky optical illusion that occurs when certain striped patterns (say, of a necktie) interact with the scan lines of interlaced video. The result is called twitter - of all things. And on color TV, it looks like shimmering iridescence. We have all seen it. I recall it appearing on the exterior still shot bumpers of the hospital featured on the show Empty Nest. The things you remember.

Other than that, they would definitely veto obscene or overtly provocative ties. And ties with trademarked material that would need to be cleared by the legal department for broadcast, e.g. characters not owned by Sony or CBS. :D

Also, every male contestant needn't wear a four-in-hand. Just this week during the College Tournament quarterfinals, two young men had the presence of mind to express their personal flair by wearing bowties. I thought that was fantastic. And clearly the producers didn't mind either. I get that contestants are expected to wear a university-branded sweatshirt, but it was great to see a couple of lads showing some extra style.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Thank you, Dr. J, you've made this old cow feel very good about her sartorial choices!

:D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:If you can't tie a tie well, why would even consider wearing one on the show?
Well, it turns out I underestimated my abilities; I was going to take a picture of me in one of my ties, but after surveying my ties, I either had a pretty decent knot on them, or I was able to make a pretty nice one in about two or three tries.

As to Kirk's question, it's because I like wearing them - or more to the point, I like wearing suits, and I don't think a suit is complete without a tie imho.

(Now to buy a black tie like in my avatar)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BaltimoreBoy wrote:
goatman wrote:I f I ever get on and make it past game 1 I will wear a Bolo tie and then a Lariat lol. I doubt you can bring hats to the podium...
Man, I am so pissed that I didn't go with my original thought to wear one of my bolo ties! I have a nice collection of them. When I used to be a middle school teacher, we had a middle school division head who would wear bow ties. He was an ostentatious, preppy sort. To counteract that, I would have "bolo tie Fridays." Not the usual look in Baltimore. However, when I suggested wearing a bolo tie on J!, my teenage nieces were mortified. They were very familiar with my bolo ties. And I certainly didn't want them to suffer because of their favorite uncle's choice of clothing... So, it was a blue blazer, button-down shirt, and Magritte print necktie -- but definitely NOT a bow tie.
Lol but we-all still sport 'em down heah to southern Maryland! God bless y'all real good now, y'hear! I got one from my Grandad hereabouts somewhere....

^Also noted the youngsters sporting bowties nice touch with the school jerseys I know they wear those athletic shirts to support their schools. Nicely done!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

dhkendall wrote:Speaking of ties, this is probably the best thread to bring this up:

I like keeping my ties looped because I'm not a great tie-tier - I can do it, thanks to YouTube how-to videos, but they don't look perfect, and definitely not good enough for national tv. Would wardrobe help me make my tie look good? Would another contestant?

Anyone that's been on the show that is equally bad with ties care to share their experience?
When I came back as returning champion, one of my opponents in my first game of the day was Vik Vaz, who did not know how to tie a tie. I tried to show him how in the Green Room, to no avail. The CCs did not offer any help; I don't even think they realized what was happening. Finally, I just took Vik's tie, tied around my own neck, then loosened it and handed the looped tie to Vik to wear.

Vik proceeded to beat me, and we walked back together after the game to the Green Room. I was collecting my bags to leave when Vik, embarrassed, asked me if I could help him with his next tie. :)

Rex
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Now that's a great story--it's too bad you couldn't have used it in one of the interview segments of the ToC final. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:As to Kirk's question, it's because I like wearing them - or more to the point, I like wearing suits, and I don't think a suit is complete without a tie imho.
I agree. If you're going to wear a suit you should wear a tie to complete the look.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

It's been so long that I don't remember what my paperwork said about wardrobe (Jeopardy! wasn't terribly picky, aside from what's already been mentioned), but I've noticed Wheel's contestant packet has a whole laundry list of do's and don'ts, particularly for women.

Some of them made me chortle, and we'll leave it at "they don't want to have a case of indecent exposure while spinning the wheel, I get it."
アタックチャンス!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Rex Kramer wrote: Vik proceeded to beat me, and we walked back together after the game to the Green Room. I was collecting my bags to leave when Vik, embarrassed, asked me if I could help him with his next tie. :)
I agree with georgespelvin that this is a great story. But the cliffhanger is killing me.

So, did you help him with his next tie?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote: Vik proceeded to beat me, and we walked back together after the game to the Green Room. I was collecting my bags to leave when Vik, embarrassed, asked me if I could help him with his next tie. :)
I agree with georgespelvin that this is a great story. But the cliffhanger is killing me.

So, did you help him with his next tie?
Let's just say it was Rex in the Green Room with the tie.