Wardrobe Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

I spent:

Less than a few seconds
8%
Thought about it a little bit
28%
Thought about it a lot
64%

Total votes: 53

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Re: Wardrobe Poll

Post by MDaunt »

sarah0114 wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:There was also a rack of clothes in the green room that former contestants had forgotten to pick up as they slunk out of the studio after defeat. One man had to borrow a shirt from there because he had brought only one shirt and a selection of ties, and the shirt was deemed unacceptable due to the close pinstripes on it.
I just finally got up the nerve to ask Maggie if the dresses I hadn't been able to find for months were in the green room closet. They were. That explains where those got to. Unfortunately my plan to try to convince Dr. J to take them back to Michigan with her was foiled because I emailed Maggie a day after Dr. J left. But Maggie very kindly FedExed them to me! I sort of thought about just leaving them there, because it would be fun to see my clothes on TV. But maybe I'll find out that some desperate champ has had to use them in the time between leaving them and getting them back.
You'll know by the sweat stains.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What Arthur should have worn for his appearance (tip o' the hat to Robert K S for digging up the picture, which I've cropped):

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

You cropped out the dog. Didn't the dog have enough cropping already?

Anyway, I didn't find or post the picture, the Cleveland Shakespeare Festival did. And Arthur was great in both the plays he was in last summer.

There is little else better in life than free outdoor Shakespeare on a pleasant summer evening.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Thought about it a lot (though wife and mother-in-law took it out of my hands somewhat). My second trip I thought about it less (had only used one outfit the first time) and ended up not packing any socks besides white athletic ones, which I realized as I was dressing to go downstairs. Called my wife freaking out a little, deciding between no socks or the white ones. Went with the socks, though my pants legs were long enough that I couldn't see them when it aired anyway (during the credits).
Twitter: @jfrumkin
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

Because my husband does video production as part of his job, he definitely had some input. No stripes, no white, no small patterns, etc. I stuck with my favorite bright solid colors for tops, and one pair of comfortable black slacks.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Thought about it so much that mom and I went shopping before the trip and got a couple of things (including a shirt that became my favorite almost immediately). I brought lots of shirts. Just in case, you know?

Second time around (my tape dates were about a week and a half apart) I brought two pairs of slacks and lots and lots and lots of shirts. That was also the only time I saw wardrobe get rejected- Emily brought nothing but prints, two of which were deemed unacceptable. And I still don't know how Alex got away with jeans and sneakers.

It helped that I like solid colors, comfortable shoes, and black slacks, IMO.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Stephanie, if you didn't want to commit to a whole blog you could do guest posts...somewhere. ;)
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Jeanie, that's a great offer...once I have time (whenever THAT is), I'll work something up!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Dr. J wrote:And perhaps I've found my dream job -- Jeopardy contestant wardrobe consultant! I'll create a blog like Vermonter, highlighting good choices, why they work, etc. (and three people at most will read it.)
You'd rock it! And just keep up with it for five months until some "villain" cites you for your advice and the whole world comes flocking to your site. ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

For the lazy dudes, wear a vest and just iron the exposed parts. Surface area is cut drastically! haha :D
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

CyrusChan wrote:For the lazy dudes, wear a vest and just iron the exposed parts. Surface area is cut drastically! haha :D
Not a bad idea, actually. I love the vest and shirt (sans jacket) look; just make sure to add some color or pattern in your shirt or tie, so you don't look like you wandered on set from the craft services area. (Wait, I should be saving these precious gems for my hypothetical blog!!)
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

CyrusChan wrote:For the lazy dudes, wear a vest and just iron the exposed parts.
I thought this was a suggestion that they ONLY wear a vest, and only iron parts of the vest. That's a very different look.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarah0114 wrote:I thought this was a suggestion that they ONLY wear a vest, and only iron parts of the vest. That's a very different look.
Yeah, preferably black leather. :)

The problem with the vest solution is the arms are the most difficult part of a shirt to iron, so I don't think you'd be gaining much.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Wearing no pants behind the podium has been done before (right, Jerome?), and it probably an excellent way to distract your opponents. Now, it is cold in the studio, so the no-pants option may have drawbacks (har har) for both male and female contestants...
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I find it astounding that ppl appear on the show in ragged tees and frumpy looking house-cleaning workclothes. Getting on the show is like winning a lottery so I'd think you want to look your best for your only shot at 15 minutes of fame... I have a whole closet of ties and jackets color-coordinated by Mrs Goatman, if that call should ever come. I only took the online test 3 times so far, I spose I got a long wait still, meh, but the wardrobe is ready! BTW, Dr J you are my personal heroine and cultural idol! You made it look easy and looked so good doing running the show with Alex of the marvelous brightly coloured ties... forehand, Windsor etc, lol. Mrs G goes around the house saying, "Mr G, You are the Devil!" to this day, lol. Great wardrobe, superb game play, we loved you on J! Hope to see you there again soon! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Dr. J wrote:Wearing no pants behind the podium has been done before (right, Jerome?), and it probably an excellent way to distract your opponents. Now, it is cold in the studio, so the no-pants option may have drawbacks (har har) for both male and female contestants...
For an unnerving look, try flesh-colored leggings worn as pants. That ewww-inducing fashion choice is always showing up on those "People seen at Wal-Mart" websites (Google at your own risk! What you may see cannot be unseen.)
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Thought about it a decent amount - wore a blazer in my eponymous color to the audition (as I thought it was noticeable but camera-friendly), and wore that on my first taping "day." Had a red blazer for the second day, can't remember what I brought in case of other days. Wanted to be polished/spiffy but also comfortable.

My main problem was my shoes - planned to wear comfortable flats, but they developed a horrible squeak (apparently a flaw in some Danskos) the weak before the taping, and I couldn't see subjecting everyone else to that. So I wore my other most comfortable flats, which did not match my pants . . . since I was behind a podium, it didn't matter for TV, and I didn't want to change my whole wardrobe plan (built around black pants) at the last minute, but I felt dumb going around all day in brown shoes and black pants. Figured comfort on the podium was more important than matching in areas not seen by the camera.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

goatman wrote:I have a whole closet of ties and jackets color-coordinated by Mrs Goatman, if that call should ever come.
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one thinking ahead like this!

I got my new glasses - BIG dark brown Nerd Girl frames and both my dermatologist and hair stylist know that I'll be visiting them for my Botox and colouring/cut shortly before heading off to LA. The post-holiday sales were really good last month and I picked up several long-sleeved, jewel-toned tees that will be FABULOUS with my flaming-red hair, and some decent fake-pearl earrings.

:geek:

Yep, I've thought about it WAYYYYYYY too much!

:lol:
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

rouquinne wrote:Yep, I've thought about it WAYYYYYYY too much!
Not possible. ;) If having the right outfit choices makes you feel better about yourself and imparts more confidence, it's worth the time, thought, and effort.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

Bow tie, tweed coat and a fez (With a stetson for changeup headgear)