Haters gonna hate, I suppose, but...

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Haters gonna hate, I suppose, but...

Post by Austin Powers »

jeff6286 wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:MTM wasn't a flippant guess but, given that she only does occasional guest work these days, it basically had no chance of being right. But better than doing a TPH.
Well nothing had a chance of being right, except for the right answer.

Actually, there was no right answer, because the clue was flawed, as has been detailed elsewhere.

And while you're right, she only does occasional guest work these days, she did make a guest appearance on a comedy in 2013, and while the writers of the clue may or may not have known that they were excluding guest acting Emmys in speaking of the "record" broken by Julia Louis-Dreyfus, those of us reading the clue had no way of knowing that.
Yeah I think she was on Hot in Cleveland either last year or the year before... also featuring... Betty White!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

By the way, Arthur: Voiceover artist is such a cool job, and you have a great voice for it. I hope you get some good work out of your Jeopardy! exposure.

How did you get started? It has always been a fantasy job of mine, in a world where I did not go to law school.

Come to think of it, with all these Boardies angling for Alex's hosting gig after his retirement (you know who you are!), I am going to totally take the other route and aim for succeeding Johnny Gilbert. :)

Rex
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Please no!
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Arthur is absolutely right. His job is to maximize the financial benefit for himself and his family. Period. If what he is doing is working,then he is doing what he is supposed to do.

I am completely mystified as to why this is even news (well, not completely - I have a couple of educated guesses).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MDaunt wrote: I am completely mystified as to why this is even news (well, not completely - I have a couple of educated guesses).
It's because his tie is crooked. I am convinced of this. Style counts, people.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Rex Kramer wrote: Come to think of it, with all these Boardies angling for Alex's hosting gig after his retirement (you know who you are!), I am going to totally take the other route and aim for succeeding Johnny Gilbert. :)

Rex
Johnny is the man. Best gig in the world.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

jeff6286 wrote:
MDaunt wrote: I am completely mystified as to why this is even news (well, not completely - I have a couple of educated guesses).
It's because his tie is crooked. I am convinced of this. Style counts, people.
Amen, brother.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MDaunt wrote:Arthur is absolutely right. His job is to maximize the financial benefit for himself and his family. Period. If what he is doing is working,then he is doing what he is supposed to do.

I am completely mystified as to why this is even news (well, not completely - I have a couple of educated guesses).
Anyone else think racism might have something to do with it? It does seem weird that this has become such a news story.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The strange thing is I see lots of stories citing how people dislike Arthur's game play, but I really don't see a lot of evidence that that's the case.

I am somewhat curious if this is a story because Arthur ends up going on an epic run and somehow news of that has slipped out. Otherwise it's not much of a story.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Didn't it become a news story because of Twitter activity? I'm not on Twitter but I keep reading that a lot if people on there couldn't stand him and created a ruckus.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:The strange thing is I see lots of stories citing how people dislike Arthur's game play, but I really don't see a lot of evidence that that's the case.

I am somewhat curious if this is a story because Arthur ends up going on an epic run and somehow news of that has slipped out. Otherwise it's not much of a story.
Me too. And maybe Jeopardy!/Sony PR people are involved.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Perhaps TPTB are helping fuel the story. It does feel a little odd, timing-wise; I mean Keith Whitener played this way all through his run, and not a peep in the media about him.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Keith had an engaging personality.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Publicity about the show for its "regular" games, just as the Battle of the Decades is starting, is a thing that I'm sure Sony isn't complaining about. No quotes in any of the news stories from Sony that I've seen though... they probably won't comment on

In fact, with my aluminum hat on, I wonder if having several strong players just before sweeps and the BotD started was less random than it appears. If Julie Singer hadn't run into Arthur, we may have had a different multi-day champ waiting out the delay.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Rex Kramer wrote: in a world where I did not go to law school.
I see what you did there. Ha!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Mark B wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote: in a world where I did not go to law school.
I see what you did there. Ha!
Oooh, I missed it the first time through. Beautiful job, Rex!
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Pappy97, nothing personal, but your response is exactly the kind of thing that's pissing me off about the "haters" -- that once people have a certain preconception about who I am they're not only willing but eager to start reshuffling everything else they see about me to fit that mold.

Like, seriously, I had nothing "flippant" in mind with Mary Tyler Moore. Since "wasting time" on a stand-and-stare is not a factor in FJ I had no incentive to "not waste time" with a guess and indeed the Jeopardy producers were adamant that if at all possible you should "write something serious down" for FJ because there is no sense in which you can lose anything by doing so.

(Although, as people have said, taking the time to write down an obviously wrong guess can eat up time you could use to scribble down the right guess if it suddenly comes to 5 seconds before the timer clicks down, so arguably there's no reason to start scribbling *before* that final musical phrase in the FJ countdown theme. Once you're in those last five seconds though it's true, you might as well just write "Peple nevr been inmy kichun" and hope for the best.)

You're not even accurate about my perception of my own strengths and weaknesses -- I actually think that "TV" in general is a category I'm pretty strong in but that "TV" is such a broad category that you can find surprising gaps in your knowledge. If I was honestly proud of "not knowing anything" about TV I would be an idiot for not simply betting $0 on the category -- there IS no "rational" bet on a category you truly believe you're clueless on other than $0.

MTM was a real guess and, I'd argue for all the reasons people have brought up, a defensible one. The fact that my brain didn't stumble on Tina Fey or Julia Louise-Dreyfus was something I was kicking myself over, not something I was "smug" over. (And if I was "smug" about the hockey DD it was because I was "smug" about getting a potentially deadly weapon out of the hands of my opponents, not because it's a *good thing* that I have a major weakness that I've now broadcast to my opponents. If I had thought it was realistic for me to truly become fluent in sports before getting on the show I would've done it -- I was kidding about the "have time to have sex with my wife" thing because studying was already such a stressful and burdensome thing for me over that month that I just couldn't.)
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

^^^ This.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

1st of all, congrats, Arthur -- you deserve all the accolades you're getting. As a viewer, I don't love to watch bouncing, but as a player I completely respect your choices. And it's paying off! There's a reason the saying is, "Haters gonna hate," and it sounds like you've got a good grip on dismissing them. There's just no way to control how other people view us, and even providing honest responses isn't going to convince some people otherwise. Colby is a perfect example. He was reviled by many for his facial expressions, which were perceived as "smug," "arrogant," or "mocking." I saw it, too. And then I met Colby, and we had this very conversation, where he said, "that is just what my face DOES!" I mean, how many of us who appear on the show have ever seen ourselves onscreen before? What is natural for us can come across to others as something completely different. And, for the record, Colby is an amazing young man -- fun to be around, and no more smug, mocking, or arrogant than anyone else in that green room. He was/is just misunderstood.

Don't waste too much of your breath defending yourself; your success speaks for itself, and those who know you best and love you already know what a fine person you are, and are clearly publicly coming to your defense, so hurrah!. (If I had a nickel for every twitter-twit who called me an annoying wh*re, well, I'd have as much money as I won my damn self. Suck it, haters!)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Dr. J wrote: Suck it, haters!
This should be someone's signature line.