Haters gonna hate, I suppose, but...

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Haters gonna hate, I suppose, but...

Post by Johnblue »

Dr. I, I don't recall ever reading anything negative about you. I know some here say they haven't read anything negative about Chu but it's clearly out there. Many people disdain him; some just don't like the jumping around. I don't mind the jumping around although I think it can be counterproductive. Some of the people here bring to mind that Pauline Karl quote: "How did Nixon win? No one I know voted for him!"
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Funny how "negative about you" sounds the same as "negative about Chu" COINCIDENCE??!! (dun dun dunnnn)

People are (mostly) very kind here, but even so, there was some understandable criticism of certain aspects of my gameplay, which were helpful to read and consider, actually. I'm talkin' 'bout the Twitterverse, where most of Arthur's critics seem to be, and where I was most certainly slammed myself. (I mean, just because one has indulged in some late night, par-drunken dryer rides, it does not necessarily follow that one is a "crazy b***h," for example. Ahem.) And it's for those haters that I say today, tomorrow, and forever, "suck it."
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

A simple solution: don't read twitter.

This has never failed me. It may work for you, too.
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

I read through the TWoP hate thread on me due to masochism and the one thing that ticked me off more than anything else was people using my little story about "crowdsourcing" a meteorite for my wife as another reason I'm a douche -- because I committed the "tacky" sin of "begging" my friends to buy something for my wife instead of buying it for myself.

To which I would respond:

1) I hope you also say that to all your married friends who had a wedding registry, because this is just a geeky version of that,

2) I did, in fact, pre-commit to buying as big a "share" of the meteorite as I thought we could afford (we were married and sharing finances so a "sacrifice" I made would also be an involuntary sacrifice for my wife). If you must know, I paid for $200 out of a $700 gift, which was still a pretty extravagant cost for how poor we were at that time,

3) I DID NOT PICK THE STORY TO "MAKE MYSELF LOOK GOOD", JEOPARDY PICKED THAT STORY OUT OF ALL THE ONES I WROTE DOWN BECAUSE *THEY* WANTED TO MAKE ME LOOK GOOD, DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TV WORKS

4) Screw you. Seriously, just screw you.

Luckily I restrained myself from creating an account just to post that but as you can see I'm not entirely successful in restraining myself from commenting on it publicly at all.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

MDaunt wrote:A simple solution: don't read twitter.

This has never failed me. It may work for you, too.
I always say that people haven't gotten worse over the years, they just have methods now to publicly show how bad they are.

If you show the trolls and jerks on Twitter, TWoP and web site comment sections that it bothers you, it validates their heinousness.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I don't post on twop anymore but I endorse most of what's been written.
ArthurChu

Post by ArthurChu »

Johnblue, saying that you're not going to antagonize me because you know I'm reading so you'll "hold back" but then repeatedly pointing to the TWoP thread and saying that you agree with/endorse it is not somehow splitting the difference between being confrontational and being polite.

It is, in fact, being incredibly passive-aggressive and is if anything the worst of both worlds.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

ArthurChu wrote:I read through the TWoP hate thread on me due to masochism
Don't read TWoP. It's not worth it. Be kind to yourself.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm limited in what I can say about you. Board rules. Let's just say I'm glad there's a break of two weeks.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

ArthurChu wrote:Johnblue, saying that you're not going to antagonize me because you know I'm reading so you'll "hold back" but then repeatedly pointing to the TWoP thread and saying that you agree with/endorse it is not somehow splitting the difference between being confrontational and being polite.

It is, in fact, being incredibly passive-aggressive and is if anything the worst of both worlds.
alietr, THIS is why we need a like button...
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Johnblue wrote:I'm limited in what I can say about you. Board rules. Let's just say I'm glad there's a break of two weeks.
And this is why we need a "Please fuck off" button.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Right backatcha! I guess those of us who don't like this guy's game will pretend he's great.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

MDaunt wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I'm limited in what I can say about you. Board rules. Let's just say I'm glad there's a break of two weeks.
Like.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MDaunt wrote:
I, personally, wouldn't have said it like that, but I couldn't come up with a better way.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:Right backatcha! I guess those of us who don't like this guy's game will pretend he's great.
You don't have to pretend he's great. But you should at least have some reason behind your immense hatred for him. What has he done to you?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ArthurChu

Post by ArthurChu »

My whole point in talking about my emotional reaction to this is not that people aren't allowed to dislike my game, dislike me, dislike my face, etc.

It's the whole asymmetrical nature of being on TV and how messed up it is that people are making up things in their heads that bear no relationship to reality (like I was somehow being "Ha HA! I don't know who Julia Louis-Dreyfus is! I am TOO GOOD for that!", when in reality 50% of all my conversations with my friends consist of Seinfeld quotes) in order to build this strawman version of me that validates their first impression based on whatever genuine, legitimately annoying things about me they perceived.

Just like I don't think I'm much of a candidate for Saint of the Year and I hardly think buying the meteorite makes me World's Greatest Husband but I honestly could not fathom why people would think my telling that story on TV made me a douche and somehow twisted it into me being an obnoxious jerk going "begging" to my friends because I was "too cheap" to buy my wife a real gift.

Calling me ugly, calling me fat, whatever, I rolled my eyes at that. But that actually really stung, especially since that story was awkward for me to tell because it was an emotional memory for me but Robert from the contestant crew really wanted something "humanizing".

So no, if you "endorse" people taking a capsule summary of something nice I did for my wife as a joint project with my friends that my wife said made her a lot happier -- because it was a gift "from all of us" -- than me going and blowing more money than we could afford behind her back, and using that as another brick in the edifice of Arthur Is An Irredeemable Douche in every way, then no, Johnblue, you can fuck off, and I don't mind letting the veneer of untouchable badass snark crack a bit while I'm on this board and say that you're being a mean and hurtful person.

That's it. After this post TWoP is banished from my mind. /soapbox
Golf

Post by Golf »

MDaunt wrote:And this is why we need a "Please fuck off" button.
Like.

Johnblue wrote:Right backatcha! I guess those of us who don't like this guy's game will pretend he's great.
I completely disagree, but am curious to know what you don't like about his game.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Golf wrote:
MDaunt wrote:And this is why we need a "Please fuck off" button.
Like.

I completely disagree, but am curious to know what you don't like about his game.

First, let me say I'm really glad I didn't vote for daunt! What a dick.

Second, I didn't like the DD & the stupid non-guess. I don't like the slovenly appearance. I hate the dull interview stories. I actually liked the jumping around at first but everything else about him bugs so...

PS his voice grates. I could have written 75% of those twop posts.
ArthurChu

Post by ArthurChu »

(One thing about the story btw that didn't come out was that meteorites are not a mass-produced commodity -- this was a meteorite that was being sold at auction, and the asking price to lock it in was the 700$+ asking price, and my wife "fell in love" with this particular one but knew there was no way we could save up that money to be able to buy it before the auction was over.

So no, it wasn't just me wanting to buy something expensive and going begging to my friends -- the "going begging" was motivated by the fact that there was a hard time limit in play and me wanting to surprise my wife by giving her something she'd already given up on getting.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ahem. At this point, I'm going to ask that the e-conversation returns to a more civilized tone, if everyone would do so, please? Alternatives are available to me.