Thursday, February 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Thursday, February 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Magna »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I that were true you'd have been able to answer every other question with the same country as the city. Bulgaria is directly south of Sofia right?
That's true of course. I didn't see whether they clarified they were looking for a different country. I was really thinking more of the old trivia chestnut "Which country is directly south of Detroit?" that I was guessing prompted the pre-call. The U.S. is supposed to be negbait for that question, but in fact it's a correct answer. You have to specify "downtown Detroit", or something like that, to rule it out.

But assuming we ignore the U.S. as a potential answer, that frees up Cuba as an alternate answer, since from Detroit's western reaches, Cuba and not Canada would be the next foreign country due south.
silverscreentest wrote:But if you were born and raised in South Detroit, you don't stop believing.
Hold onto that feeling!
Last edited by Magna on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Phoebe wasn't very aggressive on her DDs. If she had wagered half again as much as she did, she could have put Mark in a position where he'd need a sole get to win.

First DD of DJ:
Phoebe: $5,000
Frank: $4,400
Mark: $8,000
Phoebe bet $2,000 and got it right.

Last DD:
Phoebe: $14,600
Frank: $6,400
Mark: $8,000
Phoebe bet $2,500 and got it right.

Then she was silent for the rest of the round and Frank went on a tear. Phoebe needed to lead Frank by $5,200 (half Mark's score) to be safe from a TS; she instead led by $3,100. (Of course, if she had had a large enough lead, she might have thrown it away overwagering. Strange how people can bet fairly small on DDs and then go wild on the FJ bet.)
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Magna wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:But if you were born and raised in South Detroit, you don't stop believing.
Hold onto that feeling!
Who? Streetlights? People?
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Leah wrote:Eugene points out that Al Jazeera is based in Qatar, and Al Jazeera means "the peninsula." So the per capita wealth aspect wasn't how he knew the answer.
Then he backed into the answer - I thought it meant "island". But then Arabic could be one of those languages, like French, where the words for "peninsula" and "island" are similar (maybe interchangeable).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Leah wrote:Eugene points out that Al Jazeera is based in Qatar, and Al Jazeera means "the peninsula." So the per capita wealth aspect wasn't how he knew the answer.

I certainly didn't know the answer. My husband tells me that different sources rank different countries as having the highest per capita wealth in 2012; Luxembourg, Monaco, Lichtenstein, etc.
I think jazirah means island.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

MDaunt wrote:I said Spain, for humour.

Best of retro luck tomorrow, Jerome.
Thx Michael.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

JyV92 wrote:

I certainly didn't know the answer. My husband tells me that different sources rank different countries as having the highest per capita wealth in 2012; Luxembourg, Monaco, Lichtenstein, etc.
I think jazirah means island.
You are correct. It's also how we get the name Algiers, as that city was founded on a series of islands that were eventually connected to the mainland.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

2014 Baseball Hall of Fame inductee Bobby Cox managed this team to 2,504 wins

Mark said "Who are the Atlanta Braves".

The answer is wrong. Cox managed the Braves to 2,149 wins and the Toronto Blue Jays to 355 wins.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Someone's post on the spelling of Pink's name (P!n\<) on another thread reminded me of this.

The clue-writers continue to spell Mongolia's capital city "Ulan Bator," instead of "Ulaanbaatar," and they did it again. Wikipedia keeps hanging onto the old spelling, for whatever that may be worth, although people keep railing about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ulan_ ... nbaatar.22

"Ulan Bator" seems to be an pre-Cyrillic transcription of the name, used only during Soviet days. Since the early 1990s, when the USSR split up and the soviet empire fell apart, it's been "Ulaanbaatar." "Ulaanbaatar" is used by the American embassy, the British embassy, the CIA, and the city's own website.
http://mongolia.usembassy.gov/
https://www.gov.uk/government/world/org ... laanbaatar
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/mg.html
http://www.ulaanbaatar.mn/

/rant

Is there a way to write to the J! writers? I'd post on Facebook but I don't think they read that. TIA