Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JeopRDFan »

bpmod wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote: Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
Are you addressing me? Or Bryan Adams?

And where did you come up with 10?

Brian
Addressing your statement -- Bryan Adams may have said that it wasn't a year but the position in an interview, but the other writer Vallance (probably of the lyrics v. music) says it refers to a year. Adams was 10 in 1969.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium. :(

Rex
What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
DIdn't you know that Superman was Jewish? He was, after all, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two good Jewish boys from Cleveland (well, Shuster was born in Toronto for whatever that's worth).
A co-worker created a set of centerpieces for a friend's wedding. The complete set can be found here: http://shinyhappygoth.deviantart.com/gallery/46236049
They look like cakes, but they're actually made of styrofoam. For Superman, she was fortunate to find a place where she should attach a wire to hang him and Lois Lane from. If you look closely, you can see the wire. What's relevant to this discussion is that Superman is in front of a bookshelf of Torahs.

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Rex Kramer wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:
Leah wrote:I was glad to get a chance to see you play, Jerome. Sorry there won't be more (for the time being, anyway; Maggie says you never know, and you're younger than many from our decade). You and Bob are among the very few players with enough self-possession to talk to Trebek during the game. I always get a kick out of that, along with your instant recall of so much difficult stuff. I noticed they had an echo of our FJ.

Did you bring nun candy?
He brought some to the 2000s taping. He offered me some!
Actually, that was not nun candy. Jerome can explain better, but apparently his supplier nun was sick and he had to go with an alternate instead. A lesson he learned from TPTB, apparently.

Rex
I didn't think that it looked like the nun candy that people had been describing, but he DID tell me that it was nun candy when I said that I was hoping for nun candy. Hmmmm.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

JeopRDFan wrote:
bpmod wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote: Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
Are you addressing me? Or Bryan Adams?

And where did you come up with 10?

Brian
Addressing your statement -- Bryan Adams may have said that it wasn't a year but the position in an interview, but the other writer Vallance (probably of the lyrics v. music) says it refers to a year. Adams was 10 in 1969.
OK. So explain how "Me and my baby in a 69" refers to a year. There was no "Vallance wrote the words, Adams the music". They co-wrote the song, and Adams had the final say as to which of Vallance's ideas he threw out the window. You possibly even read (wherever you read that "Vallance had a different idea") that they disagreed (or, at least, had differing ideas) on many points and lyrics in the song, and had at least 4 incarnations of it before it was released.

I once co-wrote a song with a friend, and my friend was appalled that, once I was finished with it, the song did not have the same sentiments as he envisioned. And this without me changing one word of the lyrics he wrote, nor adding any of my own.

So, yes, it's possible that Vallance had a different idea. It's not possible (or very likely, anyway) that Bryan is lying.

Adams turned 10 in November 1969. How old was he in the "Summer of '69"?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

JeopRDFan wrote:Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
Sorry, just noticed this -- how exactly does suggesting that a song might be about sex "sully" it? Is sex bad?

Rex
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:Comments about all five games this week together:
Spoiler
TOC winners won each night. (1986, 1992, 1993, 1988, 1989)
Five males won.
For my pre-taping rankings the winners were: Silver, Gold, Bronze, Bronze, Gold
For position entering the FJ! round the winners were: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
All five winners were 0/1 in the UTOC.
The players were 8/15 on the FJ! clues with no 3/3s and no sole solves.
Something else I noticed:
Spoiler
Until Friday's game, all of the winners were at the middle podium. I was hoping this might bode well for Jerome.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Somebody wake Vermonter up! ;)
Zhankfor
Valued Contributor

Post by Zhankfor »

Let me just say: this Tournament (Battle? Whatever) is absolutely destroying me.
http://www.threeroadstrivia.com - Analysis of a J! clue every M-W-F. Come tell me what I missed!
Recent Categories: Vaccines, Zodiac Constellations, Women Authors, Chemical Element Pairs, CNN World Languages, The Spanish-American War
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
Sorry, just noticed this -- how exactly does suggesting that a song might be about sex "sully" it? Is sex bad?

Rex
Well, you know... there are plenty of people in this world who wish that their parents had never had sex.

Luckily, I'm not one of them. Maybe JeopRDFan is.

Oh, and next he'll probably say that that Jimmy Buffett song isn't about sex either.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Rex Kramer wrote: Sorry, just noticed this -- how exactly does suggesting that a song might be about sex "sully" it? Is sex bad?
Well, only if you're doing it wrong.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

bpmod wrote:Oh, and next he'll probably say that that Jimmy Buffett song isn't about sex either.

Brian
You've never heard of "Drunk and Screw"? It was a bad "Jeeves and Wooster" rip-off. The song is about renting the 1962 movie adaptation.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

silverscreentest wrote:
bpmod wrote:Oh, and next he'll probably say that that Jimmy Buffett song isn't about sex either.

Brian
You've never heard of "Drunk and Screw"? It was a bad "Jeeves and Wooster" rip-off. The song is about renting the 1962 movie adaptation.
Now who's sullying what?

Brian

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:OK. So explain how "Me and my baby in a 69" refers to a year.
I've listened to that song numerous times (including 2 minutes ago). I still don't hear the "a".
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Leah wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote: Sorry, just noticed this -- how exactly does suggesting that a song might be about sex "sully" it? Is sex bad?
I thought there was no such thing, but I must have confused sex with something else.

Rex
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
I've listened to that song numerous times (including 2 minutes ago). I still don't hear the "a".
I've always heard it. And, since Bryan Adams himself says that those are the words he's singing, I don't know what to tell you.

Brian

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
I've always heard it. And, since Bryan Adams himself says that those are the words he's singing, I don't know what to tell you.

Brian
Weird to have to explain this, but: the absence or presence of the article doesn't make a difference. "In 69" (or in the original French, "en soixante-neuf") means the same as "in a 69". The wonders of carnal grammar.

Rex
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:
bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:

Brian
Weird to have to explain this, but: the absence or presence of the article doesn't make a difference. "In 69" (or in the original French, "en soixante-neuf") means the same as "in a 69". The wonders of carnal grammar.

Rex
Yes, but for the benefit of those not carnally inclined, the phrase "in 69" can most certainly refer to a year. My original point was that the phrase "in a 69" cannot.
Bryan Adams wrote:You'd have to be pretty thick in the ears if you couldn't get that lyric.
Brian

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Leah wrote:
I thought there was no such thing, but I must have confused sex with something else.
Don't tell that to Vladimir Putin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

"In a 69" could refer to a 1969 model year car.

I just watched the video and could barely catch the a, but of course I was listening for it.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Leah wrote:

Rex
No, we're talking about the same thing. It's just the gender perspective. You probably haven't tried it with a narcissistic college boy.