Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Not to brag, but the room I watched the show in has a piano mentioned in the interviews.
You were watching at The Edge's house? :)
In the Hollywood hills, I must have been at the edge of something.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Ahhh...sorry, Jerome. I thought you were going to pull it out at the end. See you for the 40th anniversary, or maybe 50th. I'll have the walker with the racing stripes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Not to brag, but the room I watched the show in has a piano mentioned in the interviews.
You were watching at The Edge's house? :)
In the Hollywood hills, I must have been at the edge of something.
I'm on the edge of glory
And I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge with you
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi - I started watching Jeopardy! again last year after not watching for quite some years. I really enjoy it - I enjoy getting questions right here at home - or being reminded or learning of what the correct answers are. But the end of this most recent (Friday 2/7) show bothered me.

I don't know if I heard or interpreted correctly, but did Alex do sort of a slam against older contestants when he announced the college tournament ? It sounded to me as though he said something like "it should be fun (?) younger players.

Being on the flip side of ----- the preferred demographic-- let's say, I just felt the way this was said was unnecessary and a bit of a dig. I enjoy players of all ages; who is a more fun player than Bob Verini - who's pretty sharp as well!

I was just wondering if anyone noticed this or if folks think I'm really mistaken for some reason...

Thanks and happy watching.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Yeah, it's kind of funny how we assume book writers can come up with pure fiction but everything a songwriter writer writes has to be autobiographical [Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" in case it's not clear what the heck I'm talking about].
I guess you didn't see Tuesday's FJ then.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

jwatcher16 wrote:Hi - I started watching Jeopardy! again last year after not watching for quite some years. I really enjoy it - I enjoy getting questions right here at home - or being reminded or learning of what the correct answers are. But the end of this most recent (Friday 2/7) show bothered me.

I don't know if I heard or interpreted correctly, but did Alex do sort of a slam against older contestants when he announced the college tournament ? It sounded to me as though he said something like "it should be fun (?) younger players.

Being on the flip side of ----- the preferred demographic-- let's say, I just felt the way this was said was unnecessary and a bit of a dig. I enjoy players of all ages; who is a more fun player than Bob Verini - who's pretty sharp as well!

I was just wondering if anyone noticed this or if folks think I'm really mistaken for some reason...

Thanks and happy watching.
I noticed it as well but was going to let it rest. It's just another of his inane remarks
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

bpmod wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
econgator wrote:
Dr. J wrote:And was it just me, or did Alex make a 69 joke?
I don't recall one. When did it happen?
SONG OF THE YEAR: $1200
I GOT MY FIRST REAL SIX-STRING / BOUGHT IT AT THE FIVE & DIME" BEGINS THIS REMINISCING SONG BY BRYAN ADAMS"
A: WHAT IS 'THE SUMMER OF '69'?

Alex: Pays to have 5 kids, doesn't it?

Boy, Alex, are you thinking a song (by a fellow countryman) released in *1984* is still 'music those crazy kids listen to.' Nothing frisky, all geriatric.

Jeffrey
I think the song in question was rather misplaced in that category. When Bryan was singing "Me and my baby in a 69", do you think he was really reminiscing about the summer he was nine years old?

Edited to add:
I just found this after some googling:
Bryan Adams wrote:'Summer of '69' - I think it's timeless because it's about making love in the summertime. There is a slight misconception it's about a year, but it's not. '69' has nothing to do about a year, it has to do with a sexual position ... At the end of the song the lyric says that it's me and my baby in a 69. You'd have to be pretty thick in the ears if you couldn't get that lyric.
Brian
Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium. :(

Rex
What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
DIdn't you know that Superman was Jewish? He was, after all, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two good Jewish boys from Cleveland (well, Shuster was born in Toronto for whatever that's worth).
Also, male Kryptonian names have one of the Hebrew words for God at the end of them (El).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

JeopRDFan wrote:
bpmod wrote: Edited to add:
I just found this after some googling:
Bryan Adams wrote:'Summer of '69' - I think it's timeless because it's about making love in the summertime. There is a slight misconception it's about a year, but it's not. '69' has nothing to do about a year, it has to do with a sexual position ... At the end of the song the lyric says that it's me and my baby in a 69. You'd have to be pretty thick in the ears if you couldn't get that lyric.
Brian
Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
You realize the -writer of the song- is making this claim, right?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

JeopRDFan wrote: Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
Are you addressing me? Or Bryan Adams?

And where did you come up with 10?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lach Trash on "Gristle". Surprised that was a TS.
Not surprised you got that. It's not one of those "hoity-toity" foods.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

esrever wrote:All five winners this week were previous "Tournament of Champions" champions.

Picked up Lach trash on "Paul Volcker", "Coca-Cola", "Nordstrom", "corundum", and "gluon"

Didn't get FJ.
I also picked up the trash on "Paul Volcker," Tierra del Fuego," "Corundum," and "gluon." I thought I might pick up more on "De-gauss" but someone got it.

My dad the physics teacher would beam with pride to see me run this physics category (and probably shrug and shake his head to see me also run the Myth category).

I knew FJ referred to the Russian government and got Putin but couldn't recall the guy he swapped places with. Put down Gorbachev knowing it was probably wrong but better than no response at all.

Another tough, tough game, IMO.

I picked Jerome to win because to me he is "da man," at least until Brad Rutter reappears. In this battle of the titans there were no losers, only guys who don't advance. What a game.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote: I highly doubt that goatman, or anyone else who uses those inane phrases, actually, are literally "laughing out loud" or especially "rolling on the floor laughing"
I don't use those inane phrases, but I do find myself literally laughing out loud (and sometimes even rolling on the floor (OK, not literally on the latter)) when I read the posts of certain boardies.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

RedPoisonDevil wrote:But I too would have misspelled Medvedev -- I would have written Mededev. Would that have been acceptable, do you think?
I wrote "Medveyedev", then "Medveedev". Would either of those have worked?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Yeah, it's kind of funny how we assume book writers can come up with pure fiction but everything a songwriter writer writes has to be autobiographical [Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" in case it's not clear what the heck I'm talking about].
I guess you didn't see Tuesday's FJ then.
By "we" I mean intelligent people, not the people who would think "The Lottery" is a work of non-fiction. :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:Man...I knew who final meant, but I didn't know Medvedev's name. Best I could do was Mendelev. :roll:
That's a different guy who comes up periodically. If they'd wanted him, you might have gotten away with not including the second e before the v.
billiej

Post by billiej »

El Jefe wrote:
econgator wrote:
Dr. J wrote:And was it just me, or did Alex make a 69 joke?
I don't recall one. When did it happen?
SONG OF THE YEAR: $1200
I GOT MY FIRST REAL SIX-STRING / BOUGHT IT AT THE FIVE & DIME" BEGINS THIS REMINISCING SONG BY BRYAN ADAMS"
A: WHAT IS 'THE SUMMER OF '69'?

Alex: Pays to have 5 kids, doesn't it?

Boy, Alex, are you thinking a song (by a fellow countryman) released in *1984* is still 'music those crazy kids listen to.' Nothing frisky, all geriatric.

Jeffrey
That's how I took it, too. Like my dad not recognizing that "new" music I'm listening to. Um, it's over 2-3 decades old...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:I knew FJ referred to the Russian government and got Putin but couldn't recall the guy he swapped places with. Put down Gorbachev knowing it was probably wrong but better than no response at all.
Ha! I did exactly that only with Yeltsin. At least your guy was still alive. (I was pretty sure mine wasn't, but I didn't have any better thoughts.)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dr. J wrote:I got FJ right away, but I'm not sure I would've spelled Medvedev right (or at least "acceptably" right)! And was it just me, or did Alex make a 69 joke?
I knew it was Putin, couldn't remember the other guy, so I said "Who are the President and Prime Minister of Russia?" Not sure if that's legit, but it's all I had!

Ran the Physics category; even though I was an accounting major, I tutored physics students (basic freshman level) in college ages ago, and was surprise how much of it stuck (insert gluon joke here).
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

georgespelvin wrote:
Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium. :(

Rex
What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
DIdn't you know that Superman was Jewish? He was, after all, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two good Jewish boys from Cleveland (well, Shuster was born in Toronto for whatever that's worth).
Also, male Kryptonian names have one of the Hebrew words for God at the end of them (El).
And Supe's logo is a truncated Magen David :