Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RedPoisonDevil

Re: Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by RedPoisonDevil »

I was pleased with myself for getting "BID" in response to the Sotheby's question.

But I too would have misspelled Medvedev -- I would have written Mededev. Would that have been acceptable, do you think?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RedPoisonDevil wrote:But I too would have misspelled Medvedev -- I would have written Mededev. Would that have been acceptable, do you think?
Nope
RedPoisonDevil

Post by RedPoisonDevil »

econgator wrote:
RedPoisonDevil wrote:But I too would have misspelled Medvedev -- I would have written Mededev. Would that have been acceptable, do you think?
Nope
Heh, then it's a good thing I wasn't on this show. :P
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

After a no idea on Monday and three straight could-have-hads, this was a very satisfying FJ get.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I've yelped enough times in the past about Stock Symbols when it's a category. It made me feel better that three greats did not blaze through it either. I got out with $200 plus guessing BID correctly on the DD. Jerome lost 1000 on that one.

It was the other DD where Jerome lost more than just the 3K. Give him the right guess for Mrs. Wilson and he has $14,400 entering the FJ! round. With his solve on the Russians he could have won the match. Too bad for him as DDs do allow a second reading of the clue and little leeway with extra thinking time than a normal clue.

Congrats to Tom for geting a W after his defeat in the UTOC. Bob exceeded my pre-taping expectations, but lived up to the sharpness I detected in the YouTube interviews all the players did. It's an unfortunate defeat, but good for Bob for having an excellent showing nearly 27 years later after first playing. He also gets to join the elite club for playing in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s.

The FJ! clue for me was one where I had no chance. To create a guess I thought of a place where I knew more than one name and tried Israel. Thinking about Begin, Peres, Sharon, and Netanyahu had me trying to recall who was dead, who is alive and who was still living in 2012. I picked Netanyahu and Sharon.

I'm so poor at the world material that even being spotted Putin would have been a miss. I should have at least got to Russia with the chess reference, but not even that happened.

Comments about all five games this week together:
Spoiler
TOC winners won each night. (1986, 1992, 1993, 1988, 1989)
Five males won.
For my pre-taping rankings the winners were: Silver, Gold, Bronze, Bronze, Gold
For position entering the FJ! round the winners were: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
All five winners were 0/1 in the UTOC.
The players were 8/15 on the FJ! clues with no 3/3s and no sole solves.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yah lol as if; Alex is such a fossil he thinking 'I was already old when that tune came out' lol. Used to pick it up on the AM radio in my Pontiac... yes GTO...hence why am I Goatman?! Now you know. Not b/c Men Who Stare at Goats (although funny not my speed, roflmao). So ya this game gets tougher when the tough get going I nailed 5/5 Myth Busting but bah 2/5 'old' music and could not recall 'Gauss' though it's DOH obvious in the retrospectometer! :lol:

No FJ for me, <cry> I was so upset I went online and did my taxes now I feel so much better!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

RedPoisonDevil wrote:
econgator wrote:
I'm sure if "Emancipitation" was acceptable then this would be also!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

goatman wrote:Yah lol as if; Alex is such a fossil he thinking 'I was already old when that tune came out' lol. Used to pick it up on the AM radio in my Pontiac... yes GTO...hence why am I Goatman?!
Oh, so you're not a satyr then? What a letdown. :lol:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:Yah lol as if; Alex is such a fossil he thinking 'I was already old when that tune came out' lol. Used to pick it up on the AM radio in my Pontiac... yes GTO...hence why am I Goatman?! Now you know. Not b/c Men Who Stare at Goats (although funny not my speed, roflmao). So ya this game gets tougher when the tough get going I nailed 5/5 Myth Busting but bah 2/5 'old' music and could not recall 'Gauss' though it's DOH obvious in the retrospectometer! :lol:

No FJ for me, <cry> I was so upset I went online and did my taxes now I feel so much better!
Just an observation:

I counted all of the lol's and roflmao's in the other 96523 posts (the ones not written by you), and there are fewer than in your 29 posts so far.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
goatman wrote:Yah lol as if; Alex is such a fossil he thinking 'I was already old when that tune came out' lol. Used to pick it up on the AM radio in my Pontiac... yes GTO...hence why am I Goatman?! Now you know. Not b/c Men Who Stare at Goats (although funny not my speed, roflmao). So ya this game gets tougher when the tough get going I nailed 5/5 Myth Busting but bah 2/5 'old' music and could not recall 'Gauss' though it's DOH obvious in the retrospectometer! :lol:

Just an observation:

I counted all of the lol's and roflmao's in the other 96523 posts (the ones not written by you), and there are fewer than in your 29 posts so far.

Brian
Plus, I highly doubt that goatman, or anyone else who uses those inane phrases, actually, are literally "laughing out loud" or especially "rolling on the floor laughing" (I have no idea how one can literally laugh one's ass off, so I'll at least give you a pass there.)
lisa0012 wrote:
StevenH wrote:
El Jefe wrote: SONG OF THE YEAR: $1200
I GOT MY FIRST REAL SIX-STRING / BOUGHT IT AT THE FIVE & DIME" BEGINS THIS REMINISCING SONG BY BRYAN ADAMS"
A: WHAT IS 'THE SUMMER OF '69'?

Alex: Pays to have 5 kids, doesn't it?

Boy, Alex, are you thinking a song (by a fellow countryman) released in *1984* is still 'music those crazy kids listen to.' Nothing frisky, all geriatric.

Jeffrey
I took that comment to mean that it pays to have kids who listen to modern music. I am slow.
I took it the same way. I assumed Alex had no idea when the song came out and assumed it was more current.
Nah, I apparently reside in the same gutter as Dr. J, Alex does have a bit of an "impish humour" as it were, and I wouldn't put it past him. (I doubt Alex really thinks it's as new as you think he thinks it is, when was the last time Bryan Adams topped the charts and was a figure in current pop culture? (My guess is when he released that song from "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" ("Everything I Do (I'd Do It For You)" I think it was))). Besides, the dude's Alex Trebek. He knows things.

I don't know if it's just me, if I've mentally been stepping my game up because I realized how difficult the boards are in the BotD, or if others agree with me, but I"ve been actually finding the boards getting easier! My Coryats show $13,800 on Monday, $15,000 on Tuesday, $12,400 on Wednesday, $24,000 on Thursday, and $23,000 today, the latter two being about average for a regular game. Do others agree that the BotD boards are a bit easier lately or is there some miracle at work lately?

Congrats on the game, Jerome! You may not have won, but you did, as you always do, make the game interesting and very fun to watch (unlike that jerk Arthur Chu ;) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow! Another very strong game from three very good players. Lotsa Lach trash for me tonight, too. Jerome looked like he was having problems ringing in, which is most unfortunate. Bob certainly didn't look off his game (though I kept seeing him as a cross between Anthony Bourdain and Eliot Gould) but then couldn't get FJ. Ouch! FJ was an instaget for me, too, and I wasn't at all surprised to see that Jerome and Tom both nailed it. What a great week of J! programming. I can't wait to see the next BotD weeks, but I suppose that I will have to... *sigh*
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Man...I knew who final meant, but I didn't know Medvedev's name. Best I could do was Mendelev. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

dhkendall wrote:
Nah, I apparently reside in the same gutter as Dr. J, Alex does have a bit of an "impish humour" as it were, and I wouldn't put it past him. (I doubt Alex really thinks it's as new as you think he thinks it is, when was the last time Bryan Adams topped the charts and was a figure in current pop culture? (My guess is when he released that song from "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" ("Everything I Do (I'd Do It For You)" I think it was))). Besides, the dude's Alex Trebek. He knows things.)
Hey, I know from blue- plenty of Bill Hicks in my comedy diet (among other lesser pretenders like Tosh). But I really don't see a possible way to interpret referring to his kids as a 69 joke. Plus, there are plenty of times where Alex is out of touch or gets the word wrong. Was last week the stereographer/stenographer confusion? And 3 months ago he didn't know what a barista was (at least for the cameras)? I like him and lot and he does a great job, but he doesn't know everything. And all those awkward not-quite-'pro bono' situations he tries to sniff out (that about 30-40% of the time are)

If there's a simple connection to be made I might be simply missing that. Until then, when the flight attendants say "Sir, get on the plane!" I will say...

Jeffrey
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was in high school when that song came out and having no idea how old Adams was, I thought he really was reminiscing about his high school days. I did have dirty thoughts there was subliminal message, but am somewhat surprised he really did intend it that way.

I agree this was a well played game and was disappointed Bob lost.

No chance on FJ for me, though. At first I thought they wanted the country and went to Iran. I figured what they wanted and couldn't think of anyone there that would fit the clue, but wouldn't have gotten it even if Russia had been in the clue.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium. :(

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium. :(

Rex
What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yeah, it's kind of funny how we assume book writers can come up with pure fiction but everything a songwriter writer writes has to be autobiographical [Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" in case it's not clear what the heck I'm talking about].
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:Comments about all five games this week together:
Spoiler
TOC winners won each night. (1986, 1992, 1993, 1988, 1989)
Five males won.
For my pre-taping rankings the winners were: Silver, Gold, Bronze, Bronze, Gold
For position entering the FJ! round the winners were: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
All five winners were 0/1 in the UTOC.
The players were 8/15 on the FJ! clues with no 3/3s and no sole solves.
Spoiler
Previously, Leah Greenwald went the longest time, from 1988 to 2005, between victories, but both Mark and Tom, who had not won since their ToCs, have her beaten nearly a decade, and now Mark holds the record (besides, perhaps, some who have won a Fleming and a Trebek J! match).
Not to brag, but the room I watched the show in has a piano mentioned in the interviews. I only remembered Putin's name, argh.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium. :(

Rex
What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
DIdn't you know that Superman was Jewish? He was, after all, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two good Jewish boys from Cleveland (well, Shuster was born in Toronto for whatever that's worth).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:Not to brag, but the room I watched the show in has a piano mentioned in the interviews.
You were watching at The Edge's house? :)