Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Friday, February 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer »

I got Putin right away, then spent the next 29 seconds trying unsuccessfully to remember the Russian word for "bear".

Rex
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Just why DID Noah decide to call his son Ham?

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

dhkendall wrote:What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
Pork, what else?

georgespelvin wrote:Also, male Kryptonian names have one of the Hebrew words for God at the end of them (El).
El is Superman's Kryptonian family name, not a wider name for all residents of the doomed planet.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Good on Jerome for staying scrappy and keeping himself in the running at the end. Pretty fun game to watch overall.

I don't know about "Medveyedev," but "Medveedev" would probably fall within the spelling rules. As I can suss it out, the Russian pronunciation is something like "Myedvyedyev," which opens up a whole range of potential acceptable spellings.

I hit several of the triple stumpers, but they were probably canceled out by blurting "Falklands" for Tierra del Fuego and "carborundum" for corundum.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Just why DID Noah decide to call his son Ham?

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
dhkendall wrote:What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways? :) (Can't really come up with a good one and, not being Jewish, it frankly isn't my joke to make ... )
Pork, what else?
Sigh. You wrecked the joke. The correct joke (according to a Jewish friend) is...
Spoiler
FREE pork
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I think some of the categories this week have been brutal, and for me, it was first ladies' fathers. Got Bouvier and that was it.

I "got" FJ but I'm pretty sure I would have spelled Putin's name right, and would have misspelled Medvedev's last name if I had been up there under the lights.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BADuBois wrote:I think some of the categories this week have been brutal, and for me, it was first ladies' fathers. Got Bouvier and that was it.

I "got" FJ but I'm pretty sure I would have spelled Putin's name right, and would have misspelled Medvedev's last name if I had been up there under the lights.
I was 4/5 in First Ladies' Fathers with Kennedy, Eisenhower, Bush and Wilson instagets. The run was Dent-ed on blurting Bess Truman off Missouri without stopping to process that actual name provided. :oops:
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Volante wrote:Man...I knew who final meant, but I didn't know Medvedev's name. Best I could do was Mendelev. :roll:
I thought the name was Medyedev.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

Rex Kramer wrote:I got Putin right away, then spent the next 29 seconds trying unsuccessfully to remember the Russian word for "bear".

Rex
As if Putin and the bear ever switch.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

It's pronounced Med-VYED-ev. Medved means bear. The Russian bear is often called Mishka (see Olympic mascots).

Medvedev or Medvyedev are the only spellings Jeopardy should accept.
davey

Post by davey »

Vanya wrote:It's pronounced Med-VYED-ev. Medved means bear. The Russian bear is often called Mishka (see Olympic mascots).

Medvedev or Medvyedev are the only spellings Jeopardy should accept.
I think they'd accept just about any vowel in that middle spot, with or without the y.
Not that I could remember the name. If only I'd seen the story about his napping at the Olympics before I watched! Otherwise, when's the last time anybody heard from him?
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

dhkendall wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I can only presume that someone hid a lump of kryptonite in the middle podium.
What is Jewish kryptonite, anyways?
Mayonnaise.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Kayanne
Contributor

Post by Kayanne »

esrever wrote:Picked up Lach trash on "Paul Volcker", "Coca-Cola", "Nordstrom", "corundum", and "gluon"

Didn't get FJ.
This is the exact same Lach Trash I picked up (no more, no less). Amazing. Normally I am weak in science, but "gluon" is a term I remember from a science course. I did get FJ!, however.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

jeff6286 wrote:World Politics
When these 2 men swapped jobs in 2012, their country's media described the move as "castling".

Spoiler
Who are Putin and Medvedev? Bob had no guess.

Bob Verini: $14,000-$12,001=$1,999
Tom Cubbage: $13,000+$3,801=$16,801...advances to Quarterfinals of Decades Tournament
Jerome Vered: $7,800+$2,200=$10,000
$8400 plus US$1600(as Jerome put it) is Jerome's pre FJ! total and wager.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

flemmingfan wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:Hi - I started watching Jeopardy! again last year after not watching for quite some years. I really enjoy it - I enjoy getting questions right here at home - or being reminded or learning of what the correct answers are. But the end of this most recent (Friday 2/7) show bothered me....

I was just wondering if anyone noticed this or if folks think I'm really mistaken for some reason...

Thanks and happy watching.
I noticed it as well but was going to let it rest. It's just another of his inane remarks
Thanks - guess I wasn't totally off the mark then.
davey

Post by davey »

jwatcher16 wrote:
flemmingfan wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:Hi - I started watching Jeopardy! again last year after not watching for quite some years. I really enjoy it - I enjoy getting questions right here at home - or being reminded or learning of what the correct answers are. But the end of this most recent (Friday 2/7) show bothered me....

I was just wondering if anyone noticed this or if folks think I'm really mistaken for some reason...

Thanks and happy watching.
I noticed it as well but was going to let it rest. It's just another of his inane remarks
Thanks - guess I wasn't totally off the mark then.
He knew exactly what he was saying. He was teasing the contestants of this week who've done quite well...I think they can take it.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

I was glad to get a chance to see you play, Jerome. Sorry there won't be more (for the time being, anyway; Maggie says you never know, and you're younger than many from our decade). You and Bob are among the very few players with enough self-possession to talk to Trebek during the game. I always get a kick out of that, along with your instant recall of so much difficult stuff. I noticed they had an echo of our FJ.

Did you bring nun candy?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Friday's game was my best game of the week (and Wednesday's was my worst), but I was aided on Friday by two categories in the DJ round that played to my individual strengths ("Physics" and "Song of the Year").

For FJ, I was helped by another FJ in the past several months or so that also involved Russian presidents. I missed that FJ, partly because at the time I had forgotten about Medvedev.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Leah wrote:I was glad to get a chance to see you play, Jerome. Sorry there won't be more (for the time being, anyway; Maggie says you never know, and you're younger than many from our decade). You and Bob are among the very few players with enough self-possession to talk to Trebek during the game. I always get a kick out of that, along with your instant recall of so much difficult stuff. I noticed they had an echo of our FJ.

Did you bring nun candy?
He brought some to the 2000s taping. He offered me some!
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

georgespelvin wrote:
Leah wrote:I was glad to get a chance to see you play, Jerome. Sorry there won't be more (for the time being, anyway; Maggie says you never know, and you're younger than many from our decade). You and Bob are among the very few players with enough self-possession to talk to Trebek during the game. I always get a kick out of that, along with your instant recall of so much difficult stuff. I noticed they had an echo of our FJ.

Did you bring nun candy?
He brought some to the 2000s taping. He offered me some!
Actually, that was not nun candy. Jerome can explain better, but apparently his supplier nun was sick and he had to go with an alternate instead. A lesson he learned from TPTB, apparently.

Rex
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Volante wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:
bpmod wrote: Edited to add:
I just found this after some googling:
Bryan Adams wrote:'Summer of '69' - I think it's timeless because it's about making love in the summertime. There is a slight misconception it's about a year, but it's not. '69' has nothing to do about a year, it has to do with a sexual position ... At the end of the song the lyric says that it's me and my baby in a 69. You'd have to be pretty thick in the ears if you couldn't get that lyric.
Brian
Puh-lease -- just because he was 10? He took some poetic license to use '69 as the year he and his friends formed a band. That's all. Don't sully the song. Nothing to do with "making love", just about lost love from his youth, bro.
You realize the -writer of the song- is making this claim, right?
Ummm, co-writer and the other guy has a different interpretation: "Vallance however has gone for the more conventional interpretation of the title being a reference to a year. He notes Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty", which contains references to 1965 and 1969, as his own influence, and recalls Adams citing the film Summer of '42 as his."