Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

ElendilPickle wrote:
alietr wrote:
ArthurChu wrote:Basically tweets are the modern-day version of "headlines", only sometimes with dick jokes
They had them back then, too:

Well played.
And here, I thought the dick JOKE would have been "Nixon Re-elected".
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

goatman wrote:if you're not cursed with an eidetic memory (it is not a blessing, believe me!) then at least you have to be able to recognize significant dates......

<line break>
1907 San Fran quake
<line break>
What would you know about an eidetic memory? Your very first example is inaccurate. :o
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Golf wrote:
goatman wrote:if you're not cursed with an eidetic memory (it is not a blessing, believe me!) then at least you have to be able to recognize significant dates......

<line break>
1907 San Fran quake
<line break>
What would you know about an eidetic memory? Your very first example is inaccurate. :o
Yes! Everybody knows that's the wrong chronology of line breaks.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This reminds me, I heard "We Didn't Start the Fire" in the grocery store the other day. I stood under the speaker and tried to pay attention as well as I could.
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

skullturf wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Is it just my peeve, or do others think 3 syllables in 'sophomore' is a bit pretentious, like pronouncing 'vegetables' with 4 (as a non-UKer)?
Remember that Alex is Canadian and still holds on to some of his Canadianisms. He does pronounce "z" as "zee" because it'd be too obvious otherwise but, subconsciously or not, he still has many Canadianisms there. (And remember our particular brand of English is a cross between American and British English.)
I'm a Canadian who moved to the US at the age of 36.

I never knew until reading this thread that people say "soff-more" rather than "soff-uh-more".

In Canada, people don't say "freshman, sophomore, junior, senior" for university students or for high school students. For university students, we just say "first year, second year, third year, fourth year" and for high school students, we just say the grade, like "grade eleven" (not "eleventh grade", by the way).
Are you saying that the regional predominant pronunciation where you live now in the US is 3 syllables? And that Canadian seniors are Grade 13s? That's what I get for abandoning the DeGrassi kids before they entered secondary! Maybe Terrance and Phillip should do a show about the labelling convention.

Here in VT we often benefit from honorary Canadian statuses, but we don't always get all the different dialect memos. Uni has yet to catch on here in the States, for example...

Johnny Gilbert = American. FACT.

Jeffrey
Last edited by El Jefe on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

El Jefe wrote:
skullturf wrote:

I never knew until reading this thread that people say "soff-more" rather than "soff-uh-more".

In Canada, people don't say "freshman, sophomore, junior, senior" for university students or for high school students. For university students, we just say "first year, second year, third year, fourth year" and for high school students, we just say the grade, like "grade eleven" (not "eleventh grade", by the way).
Are you saying that the regional predominant pronunciation where you live now in the US is 2 syllables? And that Canadian seniors are Grade 13s?
I have never noticed whether people in Delaware say it more like "soff-more" or "soff-uh-more". I'll try to pay closer attention to it now, but I just never thought about it before.

In many (most?) Canadian provinces, Grade 12 is the last grade of high school. Isn't that mostly true in the US as well?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

skullturf wrote:I have never noticed whether people in Delaware say it more like "soff-more" or "soff-uh-more". I'll try to pay closer attention to it now, but I just never thought about it before.
Epitome of "incidental research," in case any of my TD players still were WTF-ing that when I mention it in my rules. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't tweet, but I've never thought of it as particularly newsworthy. It seems to be more celebs spitting out something profound. And why was this so retweeted? Its not like it was information everyone couldn't see on every TV news show or was expected weeks in advance. I guess it was more of a celebration by his supporters.

I've always said soph-more.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This tricky 'alternate number' theme occurs fairly often I think Alex likes it: when you multiply a negative # you get a + real number so every real integer has both -/+ solutions. Again the math intuition helps to quickly solve; you know SqRoot 81 = 9 and 14-5=9 is already given; so the other solution has to be for the negative root; x-5 = -9 has to be -4-5=-9; -9 x -9 also = 81.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Four more years... some people need to start over and study four more years.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Bamaman wrote:... why was this so retweeted? Its not like it was information everyone couldn't see on every TV news show or was expected weeks in advance. I guess it was more of a celebration by his supporters.
It was
1) words accompanied by an iconic picture
2) capturing the making of history
3) yes, since the people who follow @BarackObama are primarily his fans, served as a "Can I get an AMEN?" to the choir.

Though I share some of your fogey-based skepticism, 140 characters-or-less verbal snapshots are here to stay (for now). Wasn't the telegraph simply a poor way to deliver someone a letter?

Jeffrey
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Worse than getting the year wrong is calling it "San Fran".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

skullturf wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
skullturf wrote:

Are you saying that the regional predominant pronunciation where you live now in the US is 2 syllables? And that Canadian seniors are Grade 13s?
I have never noticed whether people in Delaware say it more like "soff-more" or "soff-uh-more". I'll try to pay closer attention to it now, but I just never thought about it before.

In many (most?) Canadian provinces, Grade 12 is the last grade of high school. Isn't that mostly true in the US as well?
Well, in Quebec it is 11. In most civilized places, high school ends at 16 or 17. A wiser system, imo.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

sarah0114 wrote:...The way the clue was phrased:
The most retweeted tweet of all time happened on Nov. 6, 2012 & started with “Four” & ended with these 2 words.
did not automatically make me think FOUR ____ ____ (which would have been more obvious). I was thinking "Okay, it starts with 'four', then we have no idea how many words are in the middle, then we're looking for the two words at the end. It's about Twitter, so maybe something to do with the Arab Spring? No, it's in November--" Then my husband shouted out the answer. I'm not sure if I would have gotten it on my own given the rest of the think music.
I also didn't start with three-word phrases. I saw a November date and immediately thought of the Gettysburg Address. But, nah, they couldn't fit all of it into one tweet! How 'bout "years ago"? As in "Four score and ..." Then I noticed the year and that it was not 2013, the 150th anniversary. That was enough to get me to switch properly.
OCSam
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

seaborgium wrote:Yes, it's too soon for people who haven't watched yesterday's show.

(Moderator note: The offending text has been spoilerized.)
My solution: If I don't watch an episode the day it airs, I don't read its discussion thread until I'm caught up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Onairb wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Yes, it's too soon for people who haven't watched yesterday's show.

(Moderator note: The offending text has been spoilerized.)
My solution: If I don't watch an episode the day it airs, I don't read its discussion thread until I'm caught up.
This was a case of spoiling the previous day's show. Apparently some people watch out of order.
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Interesting thought: During the QFs and SFs of a tournament is the only time when watching eps out of order does not inherently constitute a spoiler because the makeup of this game's three contestants is, for once, wholly independent of the previous game's outcome. (To the point where during the QFs the contestants are sequestered so they themselves don't know what the outcome of the previous games were when they play theirs.)

This is the only time during a Jeopardy season when this is true -- of course now that they have SO MANY tournaments that's not really saying that much. But it's the only time when I wouldn't take issue with someone demanding NO SPOILERS for previous episodes.

Of course if Jeopardy really respected this they would not do the thing where they announce the SF contenders at the end of Friday's QF match and instead save that for the first SF game. But they don't do that because, well, come on.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

ArthurChu wrote:Interesting thought: During the QFs and SFs of a tournament is the only time when watching eps out of order does not inherently constitute a spoiler because the makeup of this game's three contestants is, for once, wholly independent of the previous game's outcome. (To the point where during the QFs the contestants are sequestered so they themselves don't know what the outcome of the previous games were when they play theirs.)
Just for completeness' sake, this is also true during the "pre-quarterfinal" or preliminary or whatever you want to call them rounds of the BotD, and was also true during the first couple of rounds of the UToC.

There have been times when Alex himself has spoiled results during the tournaments. ("Let's see which of our players will join ____ in the next round")
Brian Weikle
Season 19
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I never watch out of order (not even in tourneys), but if I miss one day's show, I watch two the next day to catch up (or, if I only have time for one, watch yesterday's show and catch up tomorrow. Or the weekend.)

Thing is, I'm one of those people who don't mind results spoilers, only clue spoilers, so watching out of order won't affect this usually. I guess I do this for the board's sake, I avoid threads of episodes I haven't seen yet since at least one clue (FJ) will be spoiled. (However, moderating a post for a thread that I haven't watched yet (no, mods don't know what thread moderated posts are for until they open them) sometimes spoils me.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I usually watch in order but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise. I don't mind knowing who won or even about one random clue. But a FJ spoiler does bother me. I don't think we should mention a past FJ for a few days at least.