Friday, February 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6775, 2014-02-14

2014 College Championship quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Alex Sventeckis, a senior at Ball State University from Fishers, Indiana
Erika Sloan, a sophomore from Middlebury College from Simsbury, Connecticut
Maria Khrakovsky, a senior from The Ohio State University from Columbus, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex T.: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and happy Valentine's Day.
Which of these players will be celebrating at the end of the program? Will it be Alex, Erika, or Maria?
Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go --Jeopardy! Round.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE STAGE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
U.S. CITIES (4/5)
COLLEGE FOOTBALL (4/5)
ONLINE & TEXT ABBREVIATIONS (4/5)
ADMISSIONS (5/5)
"GR"AD SCHOOL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Maria: 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Erika: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Maria: $4,200
Alex: $2,800
Erika: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex T.: Alex Sventeckis is a senior at Ball State University who is also president of an organization called WINGS. Am I right?
Alex S.: That's right --Cardinal WINGS. It's a student-run organization that raises money for students in financial need. So if someone loses --like, a parent loses a job or students can't pay for their textbooks or tuition, the university gives them a grant from a disbursement. Unfortunately, there's only so much money to give out, so we raise more money for this particular organization. And we've raised over $5,000 the past two years.
Alex T.: Way to go. Good work.
Alex S.: Thank you.

Alex T.: Erika Sloan is a sophomore from Middlebury College, and she's also involved in athletics.
Erika: Mm-hmm.
Alex T.: In which sport?
Erika: I'm a rower for Middlebury College crew.
Alex T.: Now, have you been rowing for long?
Erika: Yeah.
Alex T.: You're only a sophomore, so --
Erika: Yeah. Well, I rowed all through high school, so this is my sixth year rowing. It's an absolutely incredible sport.
Alex T.: Yeah. What's the trick to getting all eight rowers in sync? Is it the coxswain? Is it coaching or just practice, practice, practice?
Erika: A little bit of everything.
Alex T.: Yeah?
Erika: Mm-hmm.
Alex T.:Okay. Good answer.
Erika: Thank you.

Alex T.: Maria Khrakovsky from Columbus, Ohio, home of The Ohio State University.
Maria: [ chuckles ] Yes.
Alex T.: You are interested in opera. And not only interested in it, but looking to pursue a career in opera?
Maria: Maybe. That would definitely be kind of a dream job for me. I started taking voice lessons in high school, and I just kept going through college. And I'm actually working on a senior recital right now.
Alex T.: Are you a soprano?
Maria: I am, yes.
Alex T.: Favorite opera?
Maria: "Carmen."
Alex T.: Oh. Hello.
Maria: Yes.
Alex T.: Georges Bizet. That's exciting stuff. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Maria found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Maria had $6,400, Erika had $1,200, and Alex was at $4,600. Maria wagered $2,000.

THE STAGE $800: "Cabaret" is set in this European city
(Maria: What is Paris?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ONLINE & TEXT ABBREVIATIONS $400: Someone who types "bio" is likely headed to this room

COLLEGE FOOTBALL $800: Hey, y'all, let's put on our Tajh Boyd jerseys & hit Death Valley to see the Tigers, this ACC team

"GR"AD SCHOOL $600: Season 1 episodes of this TV drama included "Three Bad Wolves" & "Game Ogre"
(Maria: What is Grey's Anatomy?)

U.S. CITIES $1000: A memorial on the site of the former South Fork Dam commemorates the devastating flood in this Pennsylvania city

THE STAGE $400: From "Annie Get Your Gun", it was Ethel Merman's signature song about life on the stage

THE STAGE $1000: He wrote of 2 very different women in "Saint Joan" *& "Mrs. Warren's Profession"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alex: $4,600
Maria: $4,400
Erika: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TOPIC IS MICROSCOPIC (3/5)
LANGUAGES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GETTING SCHOOLED ON TV (4/5)
THE "EX" FACTOR (4/5)
WHERE WERE YOU & WHEN? (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RUNNING HOT & COLD (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erika: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Maria: 7 R, 0 W
Alex: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Maria had $4,400, Erika had $1,200, and Alex was at $5,000. Alex wagered $1,200.

LANGUAGES $800: This language with a unique syllabary is now spoken by more than 10,000 Native Americans in North Carolina & Oklahoma
(Alex S: What is Navajo?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erika who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Maria had $10,000, Erika had $5,200, and Alex was at $4,200. Erika wagered $1,000.

WHERE WERE YOU & WHEN? $1600: This German military man, Sept. 17, 1916:
high above Cambrai, France

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LANGUAGES $2000: Until the early 1800s, it was the standard written language of Norway
(Erika: What is ancient Norse?)

THE "EX" FACTOR $1600: Meaning "higher", this Latin word is New York's state motto

GETTING SCHOOLED ON TV $1200: NBC's "Community" college attended by Star-Burns & Fat Neil
(Erika: What is Glendale?)
(Alex T: Erika, you were close. It's not Glendale--it's [*].)

WHERE WERE YOU & WHEN? $2000: Aaron Burr,
July 11, 1804:
crossing this river to go fight a duel
(Alex S: What is the Patomac?)
(Alex T: He was crossing [*] to go fight a duel with Alexander Hamilton.)

THE TOPIC IS MICROSCOPIC $800: The end of a conflict, or a measure of the detail a microscope can observe
(Alex T: The word we're looking for here is [*].)

THE TOPIC IS MICROSCOPIC $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew explains a microscope shown on a monitor.) Sharing its name with a body
part that helps you breathe,
This part of the microscope
Changes the amount of light
used to view a specimen

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Maria: $12,800
Erika: $11,400
Alex: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GETTING A "D" IN COLLEGE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Maria: Wager $10,001 to cover Erika. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $2,401.
Erika: Your score is within 4/5ths of Maria's, so wager between $2,801 (venusian) and $3,799 (martian), beating Maria's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Alex's part.
Alex: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Erika, but if Erika decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The USA's oldest endowed chair is a Harvard chair of this subject, given in 1721 when that was largely what Harvard taught

FINAL SCORES
Alex: $3,800 + $3,000 = $6,800 (What is divinity?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Erika: $11,400 + $3,600 = $15,000 (What is divinity?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Maria: $12,800 - $9,000 = $3,800 (What is (dentistry crossed out) diplomacy?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Maria: $14,800, 18 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Erika: $12,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Alex: $5,000, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $31,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Maria: 18/59 = .305
Alex: 17/59 = .288
Erika: 13/59 = .220
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"GR"AD SCHOOL $400: It has its own day in February

U.S. CITIES $200: With a population of 104,000, this city indicated on the map is the smallest to boast an NFL franchise.
(Maria: What is Detroit?)

U.S. CITIES $400: This city seen here is its state's second largest.

U.S. CITIES $800: From 1810 to 1812 Zanesville was the capital of this state
(Alex T.: Don't you miss that one!)

WHERE WERE YOU & WHEN? $1200: William V,
Prince of Orange,
1790:
ruling in this country
(Alex: S: What is Denmark?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Berlin
the bathroom
Clemson
Grimm
Johnstown
"There's No Business Like Show Business"
George Bernard Shaw
Cherokee
the Red Barron
Danish
excelsior
Greendale
the Hudson River
resolution
the diaphragm
divinity
a groundhog
Green Bay
St. Louis
Ohio
the Netherlands
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Getting a "D" in College
The USA's oldest endowed chair is a Harvard chair of this subject, given in 1721 when that was largely what Harvard taught.

Spoiler
What is divinity? Maria crossed out dentistry and said diplomacy.

Maria Khrakovsky (Ohio State): $12,800-$9,000=$3,800
Erika Sloan (Middlebury College): $11,400+$3,600=$15,200...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Alex Sventeckis (Ball State): $3,800+$3,000=$6,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

In regular games, I know that the categories are completely random from day to day and not related to the contestants; if the FJ is "physics" and there's a physicist on the show, well, that's just his good fortune. What about for tournaments? Having a FJ about Harvard during a college tournament with a student who goes to Harvard strikes me as very odd, unless it was known that the Harvard contestant wouldn't be on the show that day.

Sometimes I wonder about Alex's pauses to check with judges. Unless there is another famous Manziel I don't know about, why would there be any question about whether that was an acceptable response?

Also, at what point does a nickname became an acceptable response? Obviously, they're going to accept "The Red Baron" and not require Manfred von Richthofen. For the Manziel question, I thought, "Johnny Football - what's his last name?" I can't imagine that "Johnny Football" would be accepted, but how do they determine where the line is? It looks like "A-Rod" has been accepted for "Alex Rodriguez."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

soxfan99 wrote:Sometimes I wonder about Alex's pauses to check with judges. Unless there is another famous Manziel I don't know about, why would there be any question about whether that was an acceptable response?
I was wondering about that, too.

Instaget FJ, although it was the only real "D" I could think of.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This must've been the easiest board by far this week. My Coryat was $22,400, which was $7,000 higher than the rest of the week.

====

Apparently "bio" being short for "Bathroom" is a World of Warcraft-exclusive slang. I thought that one was way out of place in the Online Slang category, as the others were all very accessible. It would've been my only miss there, but I got tangled up on A/S/L and my mind said "location" but my mouth said "language" somehow. I swear, I have no idea why my mind so often causes me to say the wrong sledgehammer. I mean, the wrong word.

Grimm also seemed out of place in "Gr"ad, and was my only miss there.

Ran "admissions", skunked College Football.

Detroit in Wisconsin? Dafuq?

For some reason, I always forget Birmingham when trying to pull an Alabama city out of my head. I did the same thing on November 18:
"Major city in Alabama: Gotta be either Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, or Huntsville. Not Montgomery. Not Tuscaloosa… screw it, if I say Huntsville, I'll still be wrong, but dang if I can think of another city in Alabama. Oh duh, Birmingham."
====

Excellency was my only miss in "Ex". I almost had "excellence" to my mouth — would that have been negged?

The Big Bang Theory = Caltech? Clearly I don't watch it enough.

Cold Case Squad was my only miss in Hot and Cold. I knew that "cold case" was an actual police term, but it didn't click.

Stupid miss on Microscopic for $400: "Well, they'd be grinding glass, but the clue says 'these', so glass won't fit. What the heck do they want? Glass-es?!?" Oddly, my only gets in Microscope were the two TSes (resolution and diaphragm).

====

Is this the first time they've ever spotted the first letter in an FJ! category? Even so, I had nothing. I couldn't think of a single college subject beginning with "D". I don't think I've ever heard of "divinity" in a collegiate context.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash on "Clemson", "Johnstown", "There's No Business Like Show Business", and "diaphragm"

Got FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Excellency was my only miss in "Ex". I almost had "excellence" to my mouth — would that have been negged?
Yes (at least it should be).

And yeah, "Detroit" was an odd answer. I know it's lost a lot of people, but 1) it's still in the top 1/3, I think and most importantly, 2) it's not in Wisconsin
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Funny that Green Bay would have also worked in the "Gr-" category!
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Picked up Lach Trash on "Grimm," "resolution," "diaphragm," and "Shaw." FJ was an instaget because I knew that Harvard is the oldest university and originally functioned in part as a seminary.
dnbguy wrote:Funny that Green Bay would have also worked in the "Gr-" category!
THIS. I think "Detroit" popped out because Michigan was labelled in the map. It totally distracted me, too.
Last edited by naurae29 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nobody's said it yet -- no BMS on Vietnam?!?!
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:Sometimes I wonder about Alex's pauses to check with judges. Unless there is another famous Manziel I don't know about, why would there be any question about whether that was an acceptable response?
I was wondering about that, too.
I wondered about that too, but after thinking about it, they were probably checking on the pronunciation of the name.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Instaget FJ!, because my minister went to Harvard Divinity School.

I was going to ask about the Manziel pause too. Unless the card said Johnny Football? :D

Speaking of which, glad Tucker made it through.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

alietr wrote:Nobody's said it yet -- no BMS on Vietnam?!?!
Seemed to be an edit there; probably trying to decide if the "North" designation was necessary, since they wound up controlling the whole country.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Contestant Alex: Who is Manziell?
Alex: (beat) We'll accept that.
Me: Why the hell wouldn't you?

Lost track of the TSs in round one, but I cleaned up on all but one of them (missed GB Shaw).

Final J breaks my streak. :( I thought it was a medical school to start, so all I had was "Doctor..?"
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

How many of you know what "shanda" means? I can count 2 or 3 of you, but I'm curious how many others. I was surprised it was included in the wording of a clue.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I wondered about the Red Baron too... I'm shouting out; "Baron von Richthofen!" and then hear...Red Baron...waiting for "A little more please?" sigh...

This FJ had to dig pretty far down to pull this up finally I got a mental picture of Jesse Jackson and was all; "Doh! It's Dr of Divinity!" Then I looked him up and found he has a Masters not a Doctorate, lol. Interestingly he dropped out of theology program 3 credits short of a degree to do civil rights work in 1968 and was awarded the degree in 2000 based on practice experience, lol. So many odd little corners in the J! world... any one is an FJ in the making :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Leah wrote:How many of you know what "shanda" means? I can count 2 or 3 of you, but I'm curious how many others. I was surprised it was included in the wording of a clue.
Count me in. Todah rabah.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

alietr wrote: Count me in. Todah rabah.
Yeah, you were one of the three.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Leah wrote:How many of you know what "shanda" means? I can count 2 or 3 of you, but I'm curious how many others. I was surprised it was included in the wording of a clue.
I knew, and I was surprised, too. Who was the player mentioned, again?