Wednesday, February 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TryingHarder
Contributor

Re: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TryingHarder »

Connecticut also has a village called Versailles, which I have heard pronounced as either \ver-SELL-us\ or \ver-SAYLZ\, and a town called Berlin, pronounced \BER-lin\.
New London CT is on the Thames , rhymes with James unlike London England which is Temz.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TryingHarder wrote:New London CT is on the Thames , rhymes with James unlike London England which is Temz.
Didn't realize that. What about the H? Pronounced or ignored, like temz?
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

Fairly sure the h is silent so it is said like Taimes
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

TryingHarder wrote:Fairly sure the h is silent so it is said like Taimes
I'm from Connecticut and have always pronounced the TH sound. Not sure whether everyone does, though. I remember having a laugh several years ago when Tabitha Soren of MTV news mentioned the river in a report and pronounced it like the English river.
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

Woppy T wrote:
I'm from Connecticut and have always pronounced the TH sound. Not sure whether everyone does, though. I remember having a laugh several years ago when Tabitha Soren of MTV news mentioned the river in a report and pronounced it like the English river.
Since you are from Connecticut I'll defer to you. I'm probably wrong. It does rhyme with James :)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woppy T wrote:
I lived in the area many years back, just north of Groton (rhymes with rotten), and we pronounced it with the "TH" sound.
OCSam
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
I lived in the area many years back, just north of Groton (rhymes with rotten), and we pronounced it with the "TH" sound.
Which Tabitha Soren, in the report mentioned above, pronounced grow-tun. :roll:
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woppy T wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
I woulda guessed that. I wonder if she would have gotten Norwich right.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
Let me guess, Norch?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

Connecticut also has a village called Versailles, which I have heard pronounced as either \ver-SELL-us\ or \ver-SAYLZ\, and a town called Berlin, pronounced \BER-lin\.
My state (Pennsylvania) has a North Versailles, always pronounced ver-SAYLZ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TryingHarder wrote:New London CT is on the Thames , rhymes with James unlike London England which is Temz.
A river with the same name runs through London, Ontario. It's pronounced the same as the one in England. But the one in Ontario is the Thames River. The one in England is the River Thames.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Woppy T wrote:I'm from Connecticut and have always pronounced the TH sound. Not sure whether everyone does, though. I remember having a laugh several years ago when Tabitha Soren of MTV news mentioned the river in a report and pronounced it like the English river.
Let me guess, Norch?
This one is actually Nor-witch.
OCSam
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

VAdame wrote:
My state (Pennsylvania) has a North Versailles, always pronounced ver-SAYLZ.
You mean the 'n', 'o', 'r', 't' & 'h' are all silent?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

A few years ago, there were two baseball players with the name Thames. Eric pronounced his "Thaymes", which I'm okay with. That's how it's spelled. But the better player Marcus, prounced his "Timms", which annoyed me because it was neither the English pronunciation or the obvious pronunication.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

"Timms" is how it would be pronounced if you pronounce it "Tems" like the London river, and if you also have the pen-pin merger.
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

Did anyone else notice the error on the $1600 clue for New Orleans? I couldn't find any comments about it here and it seemed pretty obvious to me. According to the J-Archive, this was the wording:
Canal Street divides the American Sector from this better-known area to the west aka the Vieux Carre

The accepted response was "What is the French Quarter"? And yet, the French Quarter is clearly east of Canal Street, not west of Canal Street. Canal Street does not run exactly north and south. It is significantly tilted toward the northwest/southeast axis. But in the context of this clue, the American Sector is west of Canal Street, across that prominent dividing line from the French Quarter to the east. How did this clue get past so many sets of reviewers who apparently never questioned it?
http://goneworleans.about.com/od/tours/ ... edcity.htm
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You're correct. It should have been east. They got themselves caught up in the syntax of the clue; they probably meant it to refer back to the American Sector, but it clearly doesn't.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

alietr wrote:You're correct. It should have been east. They got themselves caught up in the syntax of the clue; they probably meant it to refer back to the American Sector, but it clearly doesn't.
I'm surprised they used the nickname/alternate for the Central Business District - I suppose getting the answer on the popularity and its French name are convenient enough, but clearly they couldn't have expected someone to get there by mapwork.
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

El Jefe wrote:
alietr wrote:You're correct. It should have been east. They got themselves caught up in the syntax of the clue; they probably meant it to refer back to the American Sector, but it clearly doesn't.
I'm surprised they used the nickname/alternate for the Central Business District - I suppose getting the answer on the popularity and its French name are convenient enough, but clearly they couldn't have expected someone to get there by mapwork.
True, but the error penalized any contestant who actually knows anything about New Orleans and potentially rewarded anyone who just knows that Vieux Carré equals French Quarter. It would be like having a US PRESIDENTS clue that said "Born in Tampico, Illinois and nicknamed The Gipper, he was America's fifth Whig president." If you just know that Reagan was called The Gipper, you immediately buzz in. If you know a little more, you're paralyzed by the realization that it can't be right. In this case, the error could have caused a $3200 swing.