Alex Trebek appears on Fox News

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

prax286
Contributor

Re: Alex Trebek appears on Fox News

Post by prax286 »

Five episodes a day ??? That's a gruesome for a returning champion if they keep winning.. Hats off to Arthur. You can love him, you can hate him but you cannot ignore him. I have started following jeopardy for a little under a year but I must say he has probably one of THE fastest reflexes that I have ever seen on the show.. I am a fan
Lars
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Lars »

The Jeopardy taping schedule IS 5 shows a day. First day of taping starts around 8 AM for the contestants, with the first show being taped a bit after 11, and a break for lunch after the third show about 1:30 or so. I was not there for the second day of taping (my shows were all done before lunch on the first day); it is possible there is a more relaxed schedule, as most of the contestants were through the presentation of rules and saw the set the previous day.

That said, the games can be mentally fatiguing when going back to back to back (I felt a little off my peak in my third - and last -game). I imagine with the greater concentration required for Arthur Chu's strategy that it is even more taxing. On the other hand, any tiredness is offset, at least somewhat, by the confidence one would have after winning that many games in a row!

Regarding Alex's Tournament of Champions remark, since Arthur's seventh win had already been shown, his qualification for being in the ToC was a given, whether he won no more or was still goind.

PS to OKlibrarian - I'm not sure what "kinky boots" you were wearing when you compared your height to Alex's; at my taping in October, he was 6 or maybe 7 inches below my 6' 3".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

prax286 wrote:In the video Arthur Chu says something to the effect: it was nice playing with Alex and see you in the tournament of champions. Does that mean he is going to lose pretty soon ???
Ahh, but did he say "the upcoming ToC" or just "the ToC"?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

prax286 wrote:In the video Arthur Chu says something to the effect: it was nice playing with Alex and see you in the tournament of champions. Does that mean he is going to lose pretty soon ???
Spoiler
I've been kind of disappointed to hear the "spoilers" that Chu's run has been completely taped at this point. Of course, that means the rest of his run is somewhere between 1 episode and 50 episodes, lol...
When Ken Jennings first started doing interviews, which was in between the two seasons he appeared on, it was equally spoiler-ish in that no one had leaked what his final game was, and none of the interviews mentioned him having finished filming his episodes.
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

A Trebek gruels in Brooklyn

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

prax286 wrote:Five episodes a day ??? That's a gruesome for a returning champion if they keep winning.. Hats off to Arthur. You can love him, you can hate him but you cannot ignore him. I have started following jeopardy for a little under a year but I must say he has probably one of THE fastest reflexes that I have ever seen on the show.. I am a fan
I think you mean it's grueling, not gruesome.
prax286
Contributor

Post by prax286 »

I actually meant grueling.. But when the phone changed it to gruesome I was too lazy to change it :)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Lars wrote:Regarding Alex's Tournament of Champions remark, since Arthur's seventh win had already been shown, his qualification for being in the ToC was a given, whether he won no more or was still goind.
Yes, but it suggests that Arthur does not win 75 games, because KJ, you may recall, never played in a regular ToC, as they chose to build a huge tournament around him instead.
I'm smart and I want respect.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Ah, but that won't happen for Arthur no matter how many games he wins (won). He could win 100 games and TPTB won't create a special tournament for him. The rationale for creating the Ultimate Tournament of Champions (aside from ratings) was that Ken Jennings' success shortly after TPTB removed the five game win limit raised the question of how well he would do against players that didn't face such a limit. Thus, all of the term-limited champions that were available (plus College and High School Tournament winners) played an elimination tournament where the two survivors, presumably the best of the term limited players, would get a crack at Ken. Now there really is a basis of (some) comparison because we've had ten years of non-term limited champions.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Lars wrote:The Jeopardy taping schedule IS 5 shows a day. First day of taping starts around 8 AM for the contestants, with the first show being taped a bit after 11, and a break for lunch after the third show about 1:30 or so. I was not there for the second day of taping (my shows were all done before lunch on the first day); it is possible there is a more relaxed schedule, as most of the contestants were through the presentation of rules and saw the set the previous day.
There's mostly a whole new set of contestants on the second day of a taping week. The only ones who would come back from the previous day would be the ~2 unused contestants (which I was one of), and the returning champ.