Wednesday, March 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

gnash wrote:
koam wrote:With the spelling out of pronunciations, it helps to capitalize the syllable with the primary accent.

As for Carnegie.... Andrew and Dale used different pronunciations.
Somewhere I read that about Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt, too. And then, somewhere else, I read that that was incorrect. Unfortunately, I've never encountered a recording of TR pronouncing his name.
TRD said more than once that TR said his surname with "ruse," and FDR with "rose." TR's Wikipedia article cites a letter of his in some collection (not available online) where he wrote his name was pronounced "Rosavelt." Confronted with this (by me), TRD said his information came from someone who knew the family.
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

jjwaymee wrote:
ArthurChu wrote:
Feel free to ask me anything I didn't answer there.
You said that the "McDarmand-gate" incident had to be re-taped after Alex initially ruled you correct. Did they just re-shoot Alex's ruling of your response, or did they also make you re-state your incorrect response to the clue for one continuous take? Because if it's the latter, that's a real dick move.
The former. They cued up the audio of what I said and then taped Alex "reacting" to it a second time.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote:
gnash wrote:
My cousin lives in BER-lin, CT. He has heard from the locals (though the story may be apocryphal) that it was pronounced Ber-LIN until WW1. It was a simpler change than with Berlin, ON, which became Kitchener.
That story is likely not apocryphal. The anti-German sentiment here (as in the UK) was so strong that many people and things tried to disassociate themselves from German names.
I know that; for example, I've lived in Waterloo, ON, Kitchener's twin city. The only reason I am skeptical about the Berlin, CT, story is that it seems fairly likely that the BER-lin pronunciation has a longer history.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Woof wrote:
gnash wrote:
My cousin lives in BER-lin, CT. He has heard from the locals (though the story may be apocryphal) that it was pronounced Ber-LIN until WW1. It was a simpler change than with Berlin, ON, which became Kitchener.
That story is likely not apocryphal. The anti-German sentiment here (as in the UK) was so strong that many people and things tried to disassociate themselves from German names.
It's incredible that they kept the name of the town as Kitchener given how many British (and likely Canadian) lives were lost needlessly because of his catastrophic and foolish military decisions during World War I. I mean, even Stalingrad has changed its name.

Regarding changing names from Germanic connotations, don't forget that this is how the name of the House of Windsor originated as well.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

georgespelvin wrote:
Woof wrote:
gnash wrote:
It's incredible that they kept the name of the town as Kitchener given how many British (and likely Canadian) lives were lost needlessly because of his catastrophic and foolish military decisions during World War I. I mean, even Stalingrad has changed its name.

Regarding changing names from Germanic connotations, don't forget that this is how the name of the House of Windsor originated as well.
This is because Kitchener doesn't have the same reputation here as Stalin did there. In fact I was unaware of his leadership fiasco, and I've lived in Canada all my life!

I think the difference is that all the blood on Kitchener's hands was military, where collateral damage is expected. Much of the blood on Stalin's hands was civilian.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

georgespelvin wrote: It's incredible that they kept the name of the town as Kitchener given how many British (and likely Canadian) lives were lost needlessly because of his catastrophic and foolish military decisions during World War I. I mean, even Stalingrad has changed its name.
Um, what? Stalingrad changing its name had nothing to do with war, or leadership. It's still called the Battle of Stalingrad and Russians, correctly imo, consider it their greatest victory and the turning point of WWII. A general named Zhukov was in charge of that battle.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

I know this is a bump, but I found what I believe to be Julie Hornick's episode of the Weakest Link (George Gray version) which aired on March 15, 2002:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWPOG8KZ8DE