Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Rackme32 »

nightreign wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:
trainman wrote:
Woof wrote:You're also a role model for my 11 year old son who's an honor student and an All-Star shortstop for his team (and itching to get onto Kids Week Jeopardy)
Oh, that's too bad -- J! wants a pitcher, not a belly itcher.
I grew up in Jersey, and we used that chant at games. Always thought it was a regional thing.
I learned it in Tulsa in 1973.
Someone behind me shouted it at PNC Park during the Pirates/Cubs game last week.
I learned it in Calif. in the mid-60's.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Growing up, ours was "We need a new pitcher, 'nother pail of water."
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

Ours (in the 60s) was "We want a pitcher, not an underwear stitcher."
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

frugalpapillion wrote:My name is Joe and I'm 28 years old. I played baseball most of my life and played 5 years in the minor leagues with the Chicago Cubs making it to the AA level. After baseball finished two years ago I've felt very much without a purpose. I got into trivia a few years ago and have recently started playing on a team at my local BWW and enjoying it a lot. I love being able to compete in something again and having a team. I also am curious and like learning so trivia is pretty perfect for me though I didn't do quiz bowl or anything growing up. I look forward to meeting clever people on here.
As a Cubbie lifer, I wonder if I happened to watch you play! I'm thinking that when the Kane County Cougars were a Cubs affiliate, that probably happened after you played in A ball.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Hi all,

I'm a research manager in genomics here in Raleigh, NC. After seven years of taking the online test, I finally got the call last year, flew up to Boston for an in-person tryout and found out last week I'll be on the show! I tape in early August.

My wife and I were actually on Wheel of Fortune for a couple's thing three years ago and did pretty well, but I've wanted to be on Jeopardy! for 30 years (since I was 10).

Just poking around here for some pointers, stories, etc.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

AleBelly wrote:Hi all,

I'm a research manager in genomics here in Raleigh, NC. After seven years of taking the online test, I finally got the call last year, flew up to Boston for an in-person tryout and found out last week I'll be on the show! I tape in early August.

My wife and I were actually on Wheel of Fortune for a couple's thing three years ago and did pretty well, but I've wanted to be on Jeopardy! for 30 years (since I was 10).

Just poking around here for some pointers, stories, etc.
The main pointers this board offers are on wagering strategy.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Hi All,

My name is Greg and I was on Jeopardy! back in October 2015. I have been aware of JBoard and J-Archive for years, but I didn't frequent them until a little over a year ago when I really started preparing for my appearance on the show. I made an account here in my full name after filming to give my two cents about my experience, but I didn't think I'd stick around. I figured my trivial pursuits were essential over after a one and done performance in Culver City.

Ironically, do in large part to this board, and the trivia sites I learned about through it like LearnedLeague and AlpacaFarm, I've gotten far deeper into trivia than I ever was before I got on the show. Since I plan on participating in the SHC and sticking around for the foreseeable future, I thought I'd make a new account, since I'd rather have a JBoard handle that isn't my full name.

Thanks to everyone here and elsewhere on the internet who give me a chance to stay involved in trivia contests post-Jeopardy. It can be difficult to find much live competition in my neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Vintsanity

p.s. I'm holding out an inordinate amount of hope that the eligibility bar for past contestants will be altered when Alex retires.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

It's always neat when a player turned boardie sticks around after their appearance on the show.
RadioC
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by RadioC »

Hello.

My name is Xavier, and I'm writing my very first post ever in any forum. I hope this is what I suppose to do. I'm not very good answering questions at Jeopardy but I love this game a lot, english is not my first language so i gets a little tricky to play along with the show, I'm here because I love Jeopardy and I like to know more about it.

Facts:

I'm from Guatemala.

I've been living in the US for about 15 years.

Recently I discovered that I'm what people call Jack of all trades master of none. (it's ok, I can live with that)
Jack of all trades master of none
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

RadioC wrote:Hello.

My name is Xavier, and I'm writing my very first post ever in any forum. I hope this is what I suppose to do. I'm not very good answering questions at Jeopardy but I love this game a lot, english is not my first language so i gets a little tricky to play along with the show, I'm here because I love Jeopardy and I like to know more about it.

Facts:

I'm from Guatemala.

Recently I discovered that I'm what people call Jack of all trades master of none. (it's ok, I can live with that)
Welcome, Xavier!

Given your love for Jeopardy! (must have the "!"), you will fit in here fine. This community is a mix of former players (sometimes we get current players) and serious fans. We do have one rule here: Respect the contestants on Jeopardy! and respect your fellow J!Board members. Maybe that's two rules.

A word of warning: this Board engages in a lot of wordplay and outright puns. Don't be surprised if you don't get some of the posts. I'm lost at times, too.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RadioC wrote:Hello.

Facts:

I'm from Guatemala.

Welcome! You'll fit in well here, your initial post reminds me of why I originally came here, I liked the show, and wanted to learn more about it. I came away with so much more and this community has taken me in like a second family. They will for you too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

Name: Wesley Wells
Hometown: Charleston, AR

I signed up for this board because one of my LL friends convinced me to play in the SHC, but I'll also probably get involved in the board once it's over. I'm fantastic at academic trivia, but I tend to struggle at pop culture (sports being the only exception). I'm still waiting on my time in the Jeopardy! sun, but hopefully that will come soon.
swanpatronus

Post by swanpatronus »

Hi everyone - joined up because I missed a call from someone on Jeopardy two days ago asking me to call them back. Returned the call, left a message, and haven't heard back - worried that I've missed my shot :shock: But I figured I should start studying up in the meantime, just in case.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

swanpatronus wrote:Hi everyone - joined up because I missed a call from someone on Jeopardy two days ago asking me to call them back. Returned the call, left a message, and haven't heard back - worried that I've missed my shot :shock: But I figured I should start studying up in the meantime, just in case.
Hi swanpatronus! Don't worry about "missing your shot" - unless you're a cast member of Hamilton. The Jeopardy! people are really great and they will try to get back to you. You haven't missed your one chance - they want you on, and they will get you on!

Congrats! Let us know when you're on!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

swanpatronus wrote:Hi everyone - joined up because I missed a call from someone on Jeopardy two days ago asking me to call them back. Returned the call, left a message, and haven't heard back - worried that I've missed my shot :shock: But I figured I should start studying up in the meantime, just in case.
They were taping the last two days, so they're pretty busy. I bet you get a callback soon. Good luck!
Iron4Horse
Sports Jeopardy! Inaugural Season Champion

Post by Iron4Horse »

Hi folks! I'm Justin, and I just joined up here yesterday. I've been a trivia fan (Jeopardy! and otherwise) for pretty much my whole life, as I'm sure many of you are and have been. I've been aware of JBoard since my appearances on Sports Jeopardy! last year. Appearing on Jeopardy! has been a lifelong dream, and if it never happens I'm thrilled to have lived out the experience on the very same stage with SJ! I'm not just a sports guy, so I've joined up on LL this year, as well as started playing the SHC. I love sites out there that can help me keep my chops sharp, just in case I get that call for the big dance. I hope it happens in the next couple of years with Alex, of course, but I would be happy either way to get my shot. Thanks!
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Swanpatronus, where and when did you audition?

And are you Cho Chang?
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
RunningUtes

Post by RunningUtes »

I always have enjoyed trivia, and nothing is better then Jeopardy.

I am currently converting all the J! Archive data into ANKI for use of memorizing questions. Right now I have 216,000 flashcards!
CarlAndre01

Post by CarlAndre01 »

Hello!

My name is Carl. I'm 15 years old. I'm not from the United States, I'm from the Philippines.

My interest on the show started when I stayed up late and encountered an episode of Jeopardy! on a network that also airs Wheel episodes. I remember mishearing Alex's name as Alex "Trivex," well I was 5 y/o back then.

Anyway, I once hoped to replace Alex on Jeopardy! (like Thomas Hurley, the "Emanciptation" boy) but I think it's really impossible for me to achieve that. Maybe in the future, I'll be trying out. I compete in quiz bowls on my school, and had a chance to represent my school nationally in the Philippines. I really love history, BTW.

Looking for ways on how to catch up with the recent episodes since that no station here airs J! and I've found this board.

I hope I'll be active here soon. And I really hope to appear on the show when I am eligible to be a contestant.

Good day! :)
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Hi, I'm TheTabbyWhisperer. I have been reading JBoard for several years now, but didn't feel quite qualified to join until now. I had my first ever audition last week, which I think went well. Unfortunately, I think it seemed to go well for almost everyone there as well, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, while also continuing to squirrel away facts in my brain, just in case.

Telling Tivo to record Jeopardy! for me resulted in a flurry of infomercials about Medicare, wrinkle cream, and retirement homes. Throw in all the figure skating I had it record, and it now thinks I am a gay little old man.