Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by debramc »

jeff6286 wrote:I practice writing my name on the credit card signature screen every time I buy groceries, but I don't seem to be getting much better at it. If I ever get on the show, I sure hope that Jeopardy! has a better type of electronic writing screen than the average retail outlet.
Oh golly yes! I was amazed how easy it was to write legibly on it. The only weird thing is it's still a bit bigger than most people would ever write in real life, but not nearly as big as writing on the chalkboard (I'm dating myself there, I know), so the motion is part arm and part hand, but not quite one or the other. But I didn't have to practice much in warm-up, and I think I got my name the way I wanted on the first try at game time. It was the least stressful part of the whole day!
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Not like, that kind of writing, I mean like when they ask you to write your name with a light pen. I come up with different styles of writing, in case Mr. Emperor of J! Champions who got Ruttered in the UToC is in the audience, I end up breaking his record, and have to write my name a looooooooooot more times than 75 times. Anyhow, I am Not Younger Than A Fifth Grader, I am going into Fifth Grade.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ahirbhairav wrote:Not like, that kind of writing, I mean like when they ask you to write your name with a light pen. I come up with different styles of writing, in case Mr. Emperor of J! Champions who got Ruttered in the UToC is in the audience, I end up breaking his record, and have to write my name a looooooooooot more times than 75 times. Anyhow, I am Not Younger Than A Fifth Grader, I am going into Fifth Grade.
Ummm, again, why? Ken did state (and you're probably aware of it, given that you seem to like to immerse yourself in all J! trivia) that he did it the second time on a whim, and kind of regretted it when he found out he had to repeat the process 73+ more times, as he wasn't planning on winning that many games. If "Mr. Emperor of J! Champions who got Ruttered in the UToC" thought it was a bad idea ... (Besides, you're really not seeing the forest for the trees here, don't focus on that one little thing and focus attention away from learning knowledge and facts - I can tell you that the writing thing wasn't something that Ken focussed on, and spent his efforts learning things, that got him on the show, his name writing quirk developed later. (Also, you'll more likely be seen as a copycat. And if you're orchestrating your years-away run now, when the time comes to audition, the contestant coordinators will probably notice that, and not in a good way. Moral of the story: obsession is *not* healthy, and you're showing some real classic symptoms just with this post (never mind others))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Moral of the story: obsession is *not* healthy, ...
unless, of course, it's with maps and anthems. :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Moral of the story: obsession is *not* healthy, ...
unless, of course, it's with maps and anthems. :mrgreen:

Brian
He has an unhealthy obsession, they have a weird pastime, I have a unique field of study. :mrgreen:

(I think that's how the conjugation goes ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Or "I am quirkily interesting."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:Or "I am quirkily interesting."
I have an independent mind; you are an eccentric; he is round the twist.

--Bernard Woolley, "Yes, Prime Minister"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
arslan55
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by arslan55 »

HI I AM NEW HERE

Name:ARSLAN

Vehicles Currently Owned: 1998 Mercedes C180-Sport

Intrests : Cars, music
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

debramc wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I practice writing my name on the credit card signature screen every time I buy groceries, but I don't seem to be getting much better at it. If I ever get on the show, I sure hope that Jeopardy! has a better type of electronic writing screen than the average retail outlet.
Oh golly yes! I was amazed how easy it was to write legibly on it. The only weird thing is it's still a bit bigger than most people would ever write in real life, but not nearly as big as writing on the chalkboard (I'm dating myself there, I know), so the motion is part arm and part hand, but not quite one or the other. But I didn't have to practice much in warm-up, and I think I got my name the way I wanted on the first try at game time. It was the least stressful part of the whole day!

Ha, you must be better at it than I am Debra. My Final Jeopardy wager was initially deemed not legible enough, and I had to redo it twice . . . Knew I should have paid more attention in preschool :)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

debramc wrote:
The only problem I had with the electronic writing pad was figuring what to put on it during Final J! :twisted:

The pads seemed to be in good shape (as opposed to the ones you see at checkout -- then again, those get used several hundred times a day, maybe?).

I'm guessing the pad is about a 4"x6" area; it's subdivided for Final as you see it on TV, where you write the wager in below the line, and the response above the line (the part not relevant is darkened and deactivated). I tend to write small anyway, so I had to make sure I wrote larger than "normal." Then again, I didn't have any long responses (two words, not counting the "what is" lead in). My only problem was the line as it appeared on the writing panel was very narrow, though I'm sure when it's blown up it looks normal, so I wasn't sure if it going to be legible to the judges.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TreehugginCowgirl wrote:My Final Jeopardy wager was initially deemed not legible enough, and I had to redo it twice . . . Knew I should have paid more attention in preschool :)
So they do know what your wager was, then? We had wondered about this.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:
TreehugginCowgirl wrote:My Final Jeopardy wager was initially deemed not legible enough, and I had to redo it twice . . . Knew I should have paid more attention in preschool :)
We have? Must've missed that debate. I thought it'd be common sense the judges know what your wager is. Be pretty silly when your wager is revealed to be $80085 (or some other ludicrous number you clearly aren't going into FJ with...) or you bet a negative value so when you get it wrong your score increases...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Volante wrote:
Magna wrote:
We have? Must've missed that debate. I thought it'd be common sense the judges know what your wager is. Be pretty silly when your wager is revealed to be $80085 (or some other ludicrous number you clearly aren't going into FJ with...) or you bet a negative value so when you get it wrong your score increases...
I think someone already did that (the 80085):

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpops ... o1_400.gif
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

Magna wrote:
Yep, they put dividers up between us and we do our wagers. Maggie and Glen are hanging about peeking over your shoulder, rushing you if necessary. For me, after I locked in my wager, Maggie and another woman came over and looked at it, wrote down what they thought it was and had me nod, and then told to me to rewrite it more carefully.

They're also very clear about the no negative numbers thing :) That part of "the speech" went on for a bit.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Don't they actually write down everyone's wagers on a piece of paper, in the unlikely event the equipment malfunctions?
And it seems to me the screen was quite a bit bigger than 4x6 - more like 8x10. But I only played one game and Spiff played a few more, if I recall correctly... I could be misremembering that part.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

debramc wrote:Don't they actually write down everyone's wagers on a piece of paper, in the unlikely event the equipment malfunctions?
And it seems to me the screen was quite a bit bigger than 4x6 - more like 8x10. But I only played one game and Spiff played a few more, if I recall correctly... I could be misremembering that part.
And I stand corrected. Guess I was thinking backwards Metric measurements!!! :mrgreen:

I tried to find a picture from behind the podiums, and found this very cool webpage; I'm not sure if it says it's a 10" telestrator or some other number, but that sounds about right.

http://crk-art.com/past-projects/jeopar ... ry/5977474

http://crk-art.com/past-projects/jeopar ... ry/5977475
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

debramc wrote:Don't they actually write down everyone's wagers on a piece of paper, in the unlikely event the equipment malfunctions?
I assumed the producers wanted to know so they could easily have the math ready to adjust the scores however it turns out. I think the screen was much longer than it was tall. Like you had to write it relatively short but stretch it out. Those diagrams show that a bit.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
And I stand corrected. Guess I was thinking backwards Metric measurements!!! :mrgreen:

I tried to find a picture from behind the podiums, and found this very cool webpage; I'm not sure if it says it's a 10" telestrator or some other number, but that sounds about right.

http://crk-art.com/past-projects/jeopar ... ry/5977474

http://crk-art.com/past-projects/jeopar ... ry/5977475
Huh, I guess it is a podium after all.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

My first post on these boards. Total shameless self-promotion: I'm on the October 3rd episode, so going through the thread that recaps that day should be interesting.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Retro good luck, erak!

Also, I noticed that Alex still introduces FJ from his seat.