Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Miss Mellie »

Retro good luck, Julie!!

You were close on the mic guy's name. It's Mitch. And, yes, he does a very good job of making his potentially awkward task relatively comfortable!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Miss Mellie wrote:Retro good luck, Julie!!

You were close on the mic guy's name. It's Mitch. And, yes, he does a very good job of making his potentially awkward task relatively comfortable!
Oh, thank you! -- it was bothering me that I couldn't remember his name!! (Yes, memory -- not my strong suit :lol: !!)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Best of luck tomorrow Julie! :) I was rooting for you even before I knew that you were a boardie because I saw your name on the Hometown Howdies page and noticed that it ties the record for the most number of unique letters in a contestant's name (well, unless you count General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, but if titles are allowed all you would have to do is add a "Mrs." to beat him :lol:).
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Hi, I just heard about this board at my taping. Nice to "meet" you! My episode airs this Friday, July 27.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Miss Mellie wrote:Retro good luck, Julie!!

Yes, Mitch is awesome! As are all the tech folks on the show. I was surprised at how nice and professional everyone was.
gwmd

Post by gwmd »

Edit
Last edited by gwmd on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Hi, I'm Jason. I used to captain the quiz bowl team at Mizzou. I'm doing the SHC but have not auditioned for the show yet.
-Jason
nfogarty
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by nfogarty »

Hi everyone! My name's Neville, and though I've lurked around on occasion (you know, when something crazy happens on the show!), I only just joined to take part in the SHC. It looked like too much fun. I was a Kids Week contestant 12 years ago, so everything I remember about being on the show is a little dated. I look forward to dropping by more often when the new season starts up!
Neville Fogarty
Back to School Week 2000
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Hi. I'm ahirbhairav (not disclosing my real name). I love Jeopardy!, even if I'm young. I am 12 years old.
Last edited by ahirbhairav on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Well, reading through this thread surely has been interesting.

Hi, my name is Pasha, I'm from Virginia, and I'm a Jeopardiholic. Ever since the Trebek-era show premiered, it has been my ambition to stand at a lectern and buzz my way to geektastic glory. I got as close as I've ever been this past April, when I was called to the DC audition, and promptly kind-of blew it because I was running on only 3 hours' sleep and was absolutely addled with excitement.

I've previously appeared on the locally-produced high school quiz bowl show Battle of the Brains for two seasons, in which my school's team finished in third place overall both times (1995-1996 and 1996-1997). Most memorably, I was called out for wearing shorts behind the lectern (because it was bloody hot that day), got five correct responses in a row in our penultimate game, and almost derailed the taping of my last episode by asking the host if my team could "take the physical challenge" instead of answering the question. That last little gag had been four years in the making and the editors even kept it in the episode, which I still have on tape.

Meanwhile, I'm an avid player of the Wii version of Jeopardy! and spend most of my other gaming time on Final Fantasy XI -- an activity severely curtailed by the birth of my first child last year.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Hey all, had heard about this a while ago, but only just registered. I was fortunate enough to recently tape. Such an amazing experience! Really maybe the most fun thing I have ever done, mostly thanks to Maggie, Glenn, Robert, Corina and Mitch, John, and many others that aren't popping into my head right now. I hope everyone has the same opportunity at some point. My air date is December 7. So now what to do for the next three months to not go insane waiting...

Update: And of course, left out any actual info... My name is Josh and I live in the DC area. Also, proud to be the 4th person from my college band (GW) to appear on the show in just the last two years!
Twitter: @jfrumkin
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Welcome to the board, jfrumkin!

Retro good luck! :) Even if your fate turns out bad........which hopefully it'll NOT!!!

Ahir
Peat Ski
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Peat Ski »

Hi everyone, my name's Pete and I'm going to the September 10th audition in Philadelphia. I've been a huge Jeopardy! fan since I was a kid (I don't recall getting a Final Jeopardy correct before I was 15 or so, so that was a real watershed moment in my household) and this will be my first audition coming up. I started checking out the boards recently since I never really thought deeply about "should I wear interesting shoes to the audition?" or "do they teach you how to work the buzzer before they throw you out there for the practice game?" I'm still debating the shoes question - I read advice elsewhere from someone who said he wore colored Converse in order to stand out, but I don't want anyone to think I'm not taking it seriously.

Anyway, hello to all!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Peat Ski wrote:Hi everyone, my name's Pete and I'm going to the September 10th audition in Philadelphia. I've been a huge Jeopardy! fan since I was a kid (I don't recall getting a Final Jeopardy correct before I was 15 or so, so that was a real watershed moment in my household) and this will be my first audition coming up. I started checking out the boards recently since I never really thought deeply about "should I wear interesting shoes to the audition?" or "do they teach you how to work the buzzer before they throw you out there for the practice game?" I'm still debating the shoes question - I read advice elsewhere from someone who said he wore colored Converse in order to stand out, but I don't want anyone to think I'm not taking it seriously.

Anyway, hello to all!
Good luck, Pete! My take on the shoe thing is that the auditions is where they will look for people that will look good on the show (the parts that isn't the trivia knowledge since you already aced that part). So wear what they expect to see on the show (I would guess stand-out sneakers don't qualify), act like you would on the show, and give stories that you'd likely hear on the show.

(Caveat: I have yet to audition, so take this as you will.)

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Peat Ski wrote:Hi everyone, my name's Pete and I'm going to the September 10th audition in Philadelphia. I've been a huge Jeopardy! fan since I was a kid (I don't recall getting a Final Jeopardy correct before I was 15 or so, so that was a real watershed moment in my household) and this will be my first audition coming up. I started checking out the boards recently since I never really thought deeply about "should I wear interesting shoes to the audition?" or "do they teach you how to work the buzzer before they throw you out there for the practice game?" I'm still debating the shoes question - I read advice elsewhere from someone who said he wore colored Converse in order to stand out, but I don't want anyone to think I'm not taking it seriously.

Anyway, hello to all!
Dress as you would if you were going to be on the show and be friendly.

Yes, they teach you how to work the buzzer, but you can also practice at home if you like.

Have a good time!
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Every time I'm able to catch J!, I take a pen in hand, or even better: if you have a J! Plug & Play/DVD game, then use that. Or, use a pen to buzz in. I also have a stylus/tablet for an Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? handheld game, which I use for FJ! responses and for writing my name.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ahirbhairav wrote:I also have a stylus/tablet for an Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? handheld game, which I use for FJ! responses and for writing my name.
OK, that's a bit excessive. If you need to practice writing your name, you're either very obsessive, or you're a lot younger than I thought you were ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Are You Younger Than a 5th Grader?
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

dhkendall wrote:Good luck, Pete! My take on the shoe thing is that the auditions is where they will look for people that will look good on the show (the parts that isn't the trivia knowledge since you already aced that part). So wear what they expect to see on the show (I would guess stand-out sneakers don't qualify), act like you would on the show, and give stories that you'd likely hear on the show. .
The week I was on this guy forgot his dress shoes. Luckily, he had running shoes that matched his lime green shirt perfectly. Maggie was amused, so maybe stand-out sneakers do work.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I practice writing my name on the credit card signature screen every time I buy groceries, but I don't seem to be getting much better at it. If I ever get on the show, I sure hope that Jeopardy! has a better type of electronic writing screen than the average retail outlet.