Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BGSUAlex
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by BGSUAlex »

Miss Mellie wrote:Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm Melanie, a caterer from Chicago, and I recently crossed an item off my bucket list by being a Jeopardy! contestant. Tune in March 20th! (Hi BGSUAlex, CGeditor, and thejeopardyfan! Did I miss anyone from our contestant pool?)

I'm happy to have joined a message board with such a delightfully nerdy population!
Hi Melanie! I'll be sure to tune in
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I'm Bobby "TenPoundHammer" everywhere else, and I wanna know who already used the moniker TenPoundHammer here. (Wasn't me, since the password didn't match.)
So where did you get Tehshigelisok? Since TenPoundHammer is taken, maybe you could just use something similar like 10PoundHammer or TheRealTenPoundHammer , or just TPH.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I'm Bobby "TenPoundHammer" everywhere else, and I wanna know who already used the moniker TenPoundHammer here. (Wasn't me, since the password didn't match.)
You needed the password not matching to tell you it wasn't you?
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Vanya wrote:
You needed the password not matching to tell you it wasn't you?
Ambien?
In and out of the pool four times
Pope Innocent XIV
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Pope Innocent XIV »

I'm Jim. I've been trying to get on Jeopardy! since 1993. Back then you needed to send in a bunch of postcards and hope to get invited to take the test. I took the Teen test in 1993, the College test in 1994 and 1995, the adult test in 1997. Then Jeopardy! ignored me for 10 years until the online test, which I took in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2011. I passed in 2009 and 2011, got invited to their roving audition, and am currently waiting for the phone to ring. (That's why I didn't take the online test in 2010. FYI the two times I passed the January test, I was notified in late April or early May.) I would videotape myself as I took the test so I could look up the answers and estimate my score later on. Every time I was between 36 and 40 out of 50. I've heard apocryphally that 35 is passing or that 40 is passing; I tend to believe the latter.

I've been keeping my Coryat score since March 2007 in a series of spiral notebooks (currently on Volume 8). I haven't really done anything with the data other than compile it in a spreadsheet, and see that over that time my average score has increased by about $2,000.

I don't have too many cool stories. Since 1999 I've been on a quest to visit all 50 state capitols, and with very few excuses to go traipsing around the country I've done 43. I was also a balloon handler in the 2011 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I guess I didn't introduce myself before.

I'm Corey. 20 years old and a journalism student in college. I have been a Jeopardy watcher ever since Ken and some of my favorite contestants include Ken, Eddie Timanus, Roger Craig, Tom Kunzen, Tom Nissley, Jay Rhee, Mark Runsvold, David Madden and Jason Keller.

I hope to learn more about the game and am in total admiration on how well some people do on here. I got 20 today and that is really good by my standards.

It's great to have people to talk the game with. I absolutely love it.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Welcome, JFan! :)
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Welcome, newbies! I'm happy not to be the new kid on the block anymore!

Pope Innocent XIV, what was the balloon??
Pope Innocent XIV

Post by Pope Innocent XIV »

I was under the Sailor Mickey Mouse balloon, and never actually got to touch it! That balloon had 50 lines on it, but they assigned 90 handlers. The surplus is in case some people don't show up, or if halfway through the parade a handler tires and needs to be relieved. It was kind of a free-for-all once they gave us the OK to go under the net as far as which lines the handlers got; I was gunning for somewhere up front and on the left side, right where Al Roker interviewed one of the handlers on live TV. So naturally I ended up in the rear on the right side. Since I didn't have a line, my job was to help relay the commands from the captains to the handlers in the back who couldn't see or hear them. Commands were things like slow down, speed up, raise or lower the balloon, left or right, or how to negotiate the turns. We wouldn't always march in a straight line down the middle of the street, but would actually zigzag a little bit to compensate for wind conditions. Some other surplus handlers were tasked with keeping people in line: each handling line has two ends, and so they were making sure those on the inside lines and those on the outside lines were somewhat parallel. It was still a blast and I'm keen to do it again this year.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

I had no idea balloon wrangling was so involved! Thanks for sharing!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Okay, I guess since my (first?) episode is tomorrow, I should introduce myself... (Many of you recognize me from the old board but there's a lot of newbies lately here.)
My name is Debra McGuire, I'm 48, grew up in Dallas and lived in various parts of Texas for my whole life except 1 year in Germany in 86-87. I am a "homemaker and microfarmer" (at least that's what Johnny Gilbert says), which basically means I have a humongous garden and some egg-laying chickens and someday I hope to have enough excess to sell at the Farmer's Market. (For now I do get enough most years to can & freeze enough until the next year. Of certain crops, not my entire diet. And I've only had to buy about 4 dozen eggs since the first hens started laying about 2.5 years ago.) I have worked outside the home most of my life though, and might do so again if I ever figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I have a BS in math and seriously worked at getting to be an actuary for about 10 years. I liked the math side, didn't like the business side so much, so ultimately it didn't work out. I've also worked as a secretary (fun when I wes temping and changed assignments frequently, not so much when it was permanent), pottery studio assistant (very fun but dusty and hot), and finally settled on veterinary technician. If I'd figured out I liked animals so much when I was much younger I'd have gone to vet school, but at this point it would be too much (I know, older people have done it, but not me). And even now when I'm not working for a vet, I do lots of on-the-farm animal care (there are not many chicken vets.)
Anyway, I love to read and do both crossword puzzles and all kinds of math/logic puzzles, and have always been good at retaining weird facts. I first tried out for Jeopardy in 2001 after some friends goaded me into it in a year when they auditioned in Dallas. This was before the online test, so they had a larger group of people & the first thing they did was give the test. About 18 of us passed & went on to the interviews & mock games. I was very nervous and didn't do so well. Didn't get the call that time, and shortly after that did a lot of moving and career-changing and was generally too distracted to even watch Jeopardy much. I got back into viewing regularly sometime in Ken Jennings's run. I tried to do the online test in 2007, I think, but I only had dial-up internet and when I asked I was told it probably wouldn't work well enough to be worth the effort. Finally did the online test in 2009, got an audition, did ok but still nervous, waited... then took the test again in 2011, got the audition, was much more comfortable, and then got a call from Maggie in October. The rest is soon to be history...
Anyway, when I'm not being a Jeopardy geek or doing my gardening/chicken tending, I love to cook, knit and go bird-watching. I love snorkeling and have done so in Hawaii and Florida. A few years ago I got scuba certified but haven't had the appropriate combination of time and money yet to do any exciting trips, but there's a few on the wish list.
That's about it! See y'all around!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Thanks for posting your intro, Debra, and best of retro luck to you in your upcoming episode(s) - I am looking forward to watching it/them :D !

~ Julie
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Third Degree

Post by Third Degree »

I am glad to be back! Wondered where it had gone.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Welcome, Burns!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Third Degree wrote:I am glad to be back! Wondered where it had gone.
I guess no introduction is needed. :mrgreen:

Good to see you back.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:

Good to see you back.
Indeed. His tag should read "Jeopardy Royalty". :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Good to see you back.
Indeed. His tag should read "Jeopardy Royalty". :)
I'll say!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Timmo

Post by Timmo »

Hello... I'm Tim, I was on the old Jeopardy board for a little while (screen name tinydr or tiny I think?)... enjoyed a number of rounds of Think Different, but then life got busy or something.

Anyway, glad to see there's an active looking community going.
FallenAnjel

Post by FallenAnjel »

Hello, my name is Kristina, I'm a 41 yr old mom to a 9 yr old boy. My "resume" doesn't sound NEARLY as fascinating as everyone else here (even the 13 yr old who was on Kids Jeopardy)

I have worked in retail Hardware for 20 years. My part time jobs included a bowling alley, deli, discount store and Locksmith.

I'm starting online college at Herkimer County Community next week for Cybersecurity.

I have been a Jeopardy fan since shortly after alex Trebek started hosting. I suppose I didn't know about Jeopardy before because it was on during the day. As a person who loves trivia, I was instantly drawn to the show. I used to keep a notebook and keep score of all the shows I watched.

So I just found this board thru a Jeopardy Blog that had Twitter updates in the left hand column.

Anyway, I've been taking the online test since it started... 5 or 6 years ? I read the email on my iPhone last month. Was going to register then decided to do it on the computer.

Well you guessed it... I DIDN'T REGISTER!!!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BUMMED I didn't get to take the test. I am looking for the questions/answers to take it off the record to see hwo I would do. I fail it miserably every year, but I love taking it anyway. Last year was my best year, I got 15 right, LOL.

I also recorded the test using Hypercam, it's on my youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/anjelfallen Tests from 2011 and 2010 I believe are on there.
(Edit: 2010 is on my other Youtube Account XFallenAnjelx)

Oh, and how come the Jeopardy message boards are down? Have they been down for a while?
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Hi all!

New here. I'm Adam, I'm 32, from Erie, PA. Environmental engineer by day / starving musician by night...

Been watching the show more or less as long as I can remember. Been pursuing the audition process since they began online testing - managed to score live auditions in 2008 (Cleveland) and 2010 (DC). Just coming off my second dip in the 'pool', and hoping that last night's ~38/50 is enough for another shot.

Cheers,
Adam