Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by This Is Kirk! »

red_chucks wrote:The late politician Paul Tsongas was a competitive masters swimmer. He turned 50 while running for the Democratic Presidential nomination in 1991. When reporters asked him if he felt bad hitting the big 5-0, he said no, at least he was the youngest in his age range at swimming. He then reflected a bit and said no matter how well you think you'll do when you reach a new age group, there is always someone who is really good who eats your lunch.
I knew Tsongas was a swimmer and he's spot-on. These rankings are a little like Jeopardy!--some luck is involved. It's all about who swam or didn't that year and who had the time to commit to the training. All I need to do to realize I'm not the second coming of Michael Phelps is look at the times real swimmers (i.e., not masters) are putting up. But a number two ranking in the world is a number two ranking in the world, and I'll take it!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:17:47.
That doesn't seem all that tough. I'm 34, and I can run 1500 meters way faster than that.

Oh wait, you said swimming? Okay, that's not too bad.
That was my first reaction, too. Except, while I don't actually think I can run 1500 metres that fast, I can most certainly walk it much faster than that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:17:47.
That doesn't seem all that tough. I'm 34, and I can run 1500 meters way faster than that.

Oh wait, you said swimming? Okay, that's not too bad.
That was my first reaction, too. Except, while I don't actually think I can run 1500 metres that fast, I can most certainly walk it much faster than that.

Brian
Now that I think about it, walking would probably be the better bet if I was in a race against This is Kirk. We all now that it's a bad idea to run along the side of the pool.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ooh, that's something I should use next time I get to audition: I am currently ranked as the 7,142nd best pinball player in the world. I know, it doesn't sound that impressive, but at least I'm ranked. (There are no age or even gender brackets in competitive pinball.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote:Ooh, that's something I should use next time I get to audition: I am currently ranked as the 7,142nd best pinball player in the world.
I love pinball. What are your favorites?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Firepower!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
trainman wrote:Ooh, that's something I should use next time I get to audition: I am currently ranked as the 7,142nd best pinball player in the world.
Me too. Ever since I was a young boy.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

When I was in college, before many of you were born, there was a hole in the wall place downtown in my small college town called Rooter Russell's Rendezvous that consisted of one pool table and four walls full of pinball machines. I spent many a night into the wee hours playing those machines, and often at a cost of 25 cents for the evening. A few of those machines would spin the free game dial to 99, and I left 99 games on those machines more than a few times. In those days, most machines were Gottlieb or Williams, and Bally was just getting into the market. Gottliebs were the best machines in my opinion; their solid mechanics and that immensely satisfying thwock of the free game reward that vibrated all the way to your fingertips on the flipper buttons made them far more appealing than the cheesy flash of the later machines, especially the Ballys. Pinball began to lose its appeal for me when they changed the game from 5 balls to 3. My all time favorite was an old Gottlieb called Kings and Queens. Anybody know it?

The Santa Cruz boardwalk used to have a game machine museum that had functional machines all the way back into the 20s and 30s, way before the invention of the flipper buttons that pumped life into the hobby. It was a phantasmagorium where you could lose yourself for hours (days?), much like a Powell's Books...

Aah, good old days.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bomtr wrote: My all time favorite was an old Gottlieb called Kings and Queens. Anybody know it?
Yes, I've played it. There's an annual pinball show here in Seattle and many people bring old electro-mechanical pins such as this one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote: My all time favorite was an old Gottlieb called Kings and Queens. Anybody know it?
Absolutely, although I must admit two of my favorites were the Playboy and Kiss machines.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I love pinball. What are your favorites?
Favorite all-time machine is Twilight Zone.

Favorites that I get to play regularly -- since they're among the collection at the location where my pinball league meets -- are FunHouse (same designer as Twilight Zone), Jack*Bot, Embryon, and Scorpion.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

trainman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I love pinball. What are your favorites?
Favorite all-time machine is Twilight Zone.

Favorites that I get to play regularly -- since they're among the collection at the location where my pinball league meets -- are FunHouse (same designer as Twilight Zone), Jack*Bot, Embryon, and Scorpion.
I haven't been around any pinball machines for decades, but I remember a brand-new Bally game called Paragon as an undergraduate in the late '70's (about the same time as Space Invaders).

Speaking of Space Invaders, I remember an electromechanical precursor called Invaders from Outer Space by Midway.
jmenjes
Figment of Imagination

Post by jmenjes »

Pinball is one of my interests as well. I've been playing a lot of the Pinball Arcade on my Kindle Fire. It's not the same as playing on an actual machine, but it's pretty good for when I want a pinball fix.

My favorite tables are Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Funhouse, and The Getaway: High Speed 2.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

No Tommy / Pinball Wizard references yet? For shame.

I got a Monday Night Football pinball machine [not my pictures] for my 8th birthday. Great fun, and we still have it. I think my favorite pinball game to play in the arcades was Attack from Mars, though.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Jasoni22 wrote:No Tommy / Pinball Wizard references yet? For shame.
Look again.

Brian

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bpmod wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:No Tommy / Pinball Wizard references yet? For shame.
Look again.

Brian
I knew there had to be a twist.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

jmenjes wrote:The Getaway: High Speed 2.
Yes, me too! With "La Grange" by ZZ Top.
meatball
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by meatball »

Hey, my name is Justin. I'm 26 and finishing my Masters of Accounting and taking the CPA exam. I have "big fish, small pond" syndrome so I think I'm excellent at Jeopardy but I'm really not. I'm the worst at history, especially European and monarchs. I would like to eventually take the Jeopardy test, but I'm a bit of a chicken to be on national TV, even though I'm pretty gregarious in general. Another big problem is that I start my job in July, and will be working upwards of 80 hours a week, so I don't see much studying in my near future. I think I'm going to make the leap and take Jeopardy seriously in my early 30s.

Anyway, I admire anyone here who has tried out; you have a lot of guts and you should be proud just for that. The thought of getting on TV and getting decimated is such a scary thought. Some days I feel like I have what it takes knowledge-wise, and other times I'm completely humbled. In the mean time I'll probably just continue what I'm doing, which is study bits and pieces as they pique my interest. For instance, I just learned the basics of classical music last month and I listen to it while I study for the CPA.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Clever.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I know I used to love pinball (which, for some reason, wasn't around much in my native northwest Alabama; I think the state viewed them as "gambling devices" because of the free game potential, go figure -- especially if you follow the local news regarding electronic bingo; but I digress). They did have them at the game room at 'Bama when I was there, and I sometimes spent too much at those machines! (Laundry or pinball.... hmmmmm....)

However, in my mind, with the advent of the Bally Fireball (the first electronic vs. electromechanical machine), the games just went south for a player after that. It seemed the machines always had the ability to adapt to the player, or tweeked the "free game" scores, or such. Then, as mentioned elsewhere, it went from 5 balls per play to 3 (for the same price, of course; kind of like ice cream is today!), and I stopped playing. Of course, that was about the time the video games came on the scene, and the number of pinball machines dwindled -- smaller footprint, less maintenence, etc. for the arcade owners.