Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by bpmod »

jepjunkie wrote:I actually live about 30 minutes southwest of Toronto, Canada in a city called Burlington.
OK. Look out across the bay and wave. See me waving back?

Welcome to the forum.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jepjunkie wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Well, you've proved you're authentically a Canadian by citing your proximity to Toronto in terms of time rather than distance. :)

Glad to see another Canuck here, welcome aboard.
Well Toronto is the centre of Canada, or at least that's what some people think. I see you're from the Peg, that's where the feds are sending me off to next :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of ... ion#Canada
In Canada, a 1986 study placed the point of minimum aggregate travel just north of Toronto in the city of Richmond Hill, and moving westward at a rate of approximately 2 metres per day.
Of course I can't find anything cited more recent than 1986...but at the previously stated rate, that'd put it 20km west of Toronto. Close enough to still count, IMO. :mrgreen:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jepjunkie wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Well, you've proved you're authentically a Canadian by citing your proximity to Toronto in terms of time rather than distance. :)

Well Toronto is the centre of Canada, or at least that's what some people think. I see you're from the Peg, that's where the feds are sending me off to next :)
Even better, as Winnipeg representation anywhere I frequent is sparse. (I'm thinking it might have to do with the fact that I frequent places geared to those of an intellectual bent) There was another Winnipeg boardie once for a brief time back in the Sony board days (he even came over to my house once and we did nerdly things and played Trivial Pursuit and our wives were just socializing among themselves and humouring us ;) - we've lost contact since) Drop me a line once you're here!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
jepjunkie wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of ... ion#Canada
In Canada, a 1986 study placed the point of minimum aggregate travel just north of Toronto in the city of Richmond Hill, and moving westward at a rate of approximately 2 metres per day.
Of course I can't find anything cited more recent than 1986...but at the previously stated rate, that'd put it 20km west of Toronto. Close enough to still count, IMO. :mrgreen:
Actually, this sign is about 20 minutes east of my house, so ... :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jepjunkie

Post by jepjunkie »

I doubt this qualifies as a spoiler but there was a technical difficulty for the show airing April 12th. All I know was that they stopped taping for 30 minutes and there was a few techs with wiring behind the contestant podiums. Alex talked to the audience the entire time. Since the majority of the audience stayed for all 5 shows everybody had asked him whatever they wanted to but I'm inquisitive so I had loads to ask him.

Why doesn't Alex walk out of the glass doors when introduced?
Well he used to, but after he injured himself the step killed him so he walked out from behind the game board. After he recovered he asked the producers if they wanted him to resume walking back out the doors and they said it wasn't necessary.

Why does Alex no longer stand at the game board to reveal Final Jeopardy?
The big screen TV that's now part of the set makes it irrelevant for him to stand at the game board

Has Alex ever been to Burlington, Ontario?
He once drove through it. He was with Kelly recording clues in Niagara Falls. The highway that connects from Niagara Falls to Toronto (Queen Elizabeth Way or QEW) was gridlocked so their driver decided to detour through Hamilton & Burlington and eventually made their way back to Toronto without using the highway.

Does Alex want to become the next Governor General of Canada?
A few years ago Alex was quoted in The Globe & Mail about becoming the next GG of Canada. That was before our current one was chosen. Alex said that while he said that he said it jokingly and the media blew it out of proportion. He said once the article was published the media went nuts and took him seriously. He said Jeopardy will be the last job he has and while GG is a cool gig its not something that he would actually do.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Actually, this sign is about 20 minutes east of my house, so ... :)
Well, if we want to play geographic center, you'll have to go to Nunavut...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

jepjunkie wrote:Hi everybody. My name is Artay, I'm a longtime observer of these boards, first time user.
Welcome Artay!
jepjunkie wrote:I've been in the audience 3 times. Most recently I was in the audience at the end of November for shows airing the week of April 8th.
Cool! That was my taping. :)

-a.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Linear Gnome wrote:So it appears that the weeks of April 1 and 8 were taped after Thanksgiving, which means the weeks of March 18 and 25 were taped the first or second week in November (assuming they took Thanksgiving week off). I wonder if the Teen Tournament was taped in November?
Yes, weeks of April 1 & 8 was my taping week; they taped Nov. 27/28? Whatever the Tue/Wed after Thanksgiving were. And I seem to recall Johnny in his warmup spiel mentioning having just finished taping the Teen Tournament. So, I believe you're correct, if memory serves.

-a.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

kickerofelves wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:So it appears that the weeks of April 1 and 8 were taped after Thanksgiving, which means the weeks of March 18 and 25 were taped the first or second week in November (assuming they took Thanksgiving week off). I wonder if the Teen Tournament was taped in November?
Yes, weeks of April 1 & 8 was my taping week; they taped Nov. 27/28? Whatever the Tue/Wed after Thanksgiving were. And I seem to recall Johnny in his warmup spiel mentioning having just finished taping the Teen Tournament. So, I believe you're correct, if memory serves.

-a.
Cool, thanks for confirming. Retroactive good luck to the giant eye!
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Linear Gnome wrote:Cool, thanks for confirming. Retroactive good luck to the giant eye!
Thanks! :D

-a.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

Been hanging around for a little while.

Strengths: Literature, movies, presidents, current events, languages, capitals, biology, astronomy, smiling :geek:

Weaknesses: Sports, television, anagrams, rivers/lakes, finger-speed :oops:

I've held back a bit because I don't speak message-boardese very well. It's definitely a skill that some possess to a greater degree than others! I find I communicate best face-to-face. But here goes nothing!

Edited to include important note: My show(s) will air in June. Seems like an eternity away!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

someday wrote:Been hanging around for a little while.

Strengths: Literature, movies, presidents, current events, languages, capitals, biology, astronomy, smiling :geek:

Weaknesses: Sports, television, anagrams, rivers/lakes, finger-speed :oops:

I've held back a bit because I don't speak message-boardese very well. It's definitely a skill that some possess to a greater degree than others! I find I communicate best face-to-face. But here goes nothing!

Edited to include important note: My show(s) will air in June. Seems like an eternity away!
Retroactive good luck! Please remind us when the time gets closer.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jeff6286 wrote:My main question was why would they have used "Marble Machine" in the title, rather than something more obviously pinball-related?
My guess is that the idea was to have an ear-catching-yet-ridiculous alliterative title to match their eye-catching-yet-ridiculous gigantic pinball machine.
Could pinball have been a copyrighted term that they would have had to pay for? I know that various companies made pinball machines, as mentioned in the discussion in this thread, but did they actually use the word pinball itself to market them?
No, the term "pinball" is not trademarked. Yes, every company that's ever built a pinball machine[*] has used the term "pinball" to market it.

[*]Okay, okay, there was probably some company at the dawn of pinball that used the term "coin-operated tabletop bagatelle device" or something like that.
BaltimoreBoy
Valued Contributor

Post by BaltimoreBoy »

Hi, although I made my first post earlier today on another thread (topic, something like: When the heck do I get the photo with Alex?!), figured I better put in an appearance here. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong here, because I'm an old(er) guy who's not the most "socially-media-y" savvy person... I taped in mid-November and had a four month wait, finally to make my debut this coming Monday the 25th. (I would REALLY like to have my photo by then! Was hoping to have "baseball cards" made of them to sign and hand out to the 40-50 people who will be at the "viewing party"!) Also, before that show airs, I would like to make a disclaimer (Chat-with-Alex spoiler alert!) that I made three (yes, count 'em, THREE!) blunders on my chat with Alex! (PLEASE don't chastise me on the game thread for the last one of the blunders! I know ABSOLUTELY that they're NOT made out of oak!) I started off by telling the wrong story -- for which Alex gave me a dirty look/evil eye (which is kind of a badge of honor/courage, I suppose) -- then, I mentioned a brand name! And, lastly, was that "made out of oak" blunder... Oh, well, the absolute best thing about my whole Jeopardy experience was that, as I was leaving, I told Maggie that I didn't care about anything else that had happened but that I was going to miss her! With that, she gave me a big hug. THAT was the best parting gift! LOVE those Contestant Coordinators/Wranglers! (And, yes, even this middle-aged guy had a crush on Corinna!)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

BaltimoreBoy wrote:I taped in mid-November and had a four month wait, finally to make my debut this coming Monday the 25th. (I would REALLY like to have my photo by then! Was hoping to have "baseball cards" made of them to sign and hand out to the 40-50 people who will be at the "viewing party"!)
Welcome, Tom! And retro-good luck. That's a fun idea. If you haven't got it yet, you could try emailing/calling Glenn; I think he's the one who deals with that? Though you may be out of luck as far as getting it enough ahead of time to pull that off...
BaltimoreBoy wrote:I made three (yes, count 'em, THREE!) blunders on my chat with Alex! (PLEASE don't chastise me on the game thread for the last one of the blunders! I know ABSOLUTELY that they're NOT made out of oak!)
50 proactive lashes with a wet noodle for you!
BaltimoreBoy wrote:LOVE those Contestant Coordinators/Wranglers! (And, yes, even this middle-aged guy had a crush on Corinna!)
Mrrrowl! ;) :mrgreen:

-a.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Hi, BaltimoreBoy! You and me and interrobang were all part of the same cadre, then. I was the one popping breath mints like popcorn because I didn't want to have halitosis for Alex.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Welcome, Plactus!
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

Been lurking around here for a little bit. Nice little corner of the internet you have carved out here. I love to play games and enjoy competition. I'm a longtime fan of J!, but definitely am not contestant material. I could probably challenge for lowest coryat scores of people on this board. :oops: I'll bring down the weekly poll percentages a bit too! I will most likely continue to lurk and stay out of the way, but I have a question to ask about yesterday's game, so I figured I better introduce myself here too :)
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

Wow, another BaltimoreBoy named Tom (welcome to the board, and retroactive good luck to you)!

I was afraid for a minute that Mr. Kelso was pulling a Jeff Kirby.
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

Paucle wrote:Welcome, Plactus!
Thank you :) Hi, everybody, my name's Rick. I'm 32 years old and live in Texas.

I was on my schools' trivia teams in high school; I appeared on It's Academic in Washington D.C., where I embarrassed myself by getting Birmingham and Montgomery mixed up and saying that I was a sophomore when I was a junior.

I've been a Jeopardy! fan on and off for about 25 years. Nowadays I watch at work; we finally got a DVR so I can pause when I have to be away from the TV and I'm not reliant on the Archivists to fill in the half the clues I miss. (Many thanks to everyone involved in maintaining the Archive!) My Coryat score, when I bother to keep it, runs around $24,000, which I consider respectable but would need work if I were to get serious aspirations to appear on the show.

I've been lurking around here for a while now, figured I should make an account.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?