Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mr_F
Contributor

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Mr_F »

Hi everybody!

I'm a long-time lurker hoping to improve upon my 0.01 posts per day. I'm a Canadian and self-proclaimed food court connoisseur. My trivia habit partially funds my beer habit, as Mister Mr_F and I sometimes win games in our local pub trivia league.

Nice to meet you all, and I look forward to chatting with you from time to time!
mirandacoffin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by mirandacoffin »

Good Afternoon,

I am Miranda from New Jersey I am a self called Jeopardy! nerd who is 41 years old and is excited to interact with Jeopardy! fans across the country.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

Hello everybody,
I'm Bob from Columbus, OH. I have auditioned in Columbus, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Detroit. The first in 2004 had a screening with the 10 question test, a 50 question test the next day, and then the mock games. The others were from the online tests. I wasn't picked for the Cleveland audition. Three of my friends have made the show; Dave is my teammate on our pub trivia team. We're getting ready for the national finals on Saturday. We have one more slot open on the team for a pop culture/fashion/liquor/cars expert, if you know anyone in the area. :D
I found this board after the Sony board was pulled, but never got around to signing up. I've always admired the civility of this board in the midst of the wilds of the internet. The recent spate of boardies who have appeared on the show inspired me to join. I hope to follow them and my friends onto the show.
Thanks for all the erudite posts,
RoJo
electronic.mayhem

Post by electronic.mayhem »

I guess it's finally time to stop lurking and reach out to a community I'd like to join.

I'm Brent, a 33 year old pathology resident with aspirations of becoming the world's leading expert in neuropathology. I have just recently decided to get serious about an appearance on Jeopardy!. I did undergrad and medical school in Colorado with dual BA/BS from University of Colorado. I am currently living in (contractually trapped in) San Antonio, TX and if anyone out there needs a Pub Trivia teammate with decent knowledge of science (particularly biology type), history (Asian, Russian, and American), philosophy, automotives, mountaineering, and geography I am looking for a regular team. My pop culture knowledge is lacking though. I look forward to expanding my not-so-trivial knowledge base with you guys!
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

Oh, hi. I was johnnysama on the old Sony J! boards. I'm a Seattle native, just turned 28 on 4/13, and I love a lot of things, like sports, game shows, anime/manga, comedy...... a lot of things.

It's great to be back. I'm wondering what happened on the show aired on my birthday (Show #611, OAD 4/13/1987)? I've missed many of you, so hello again. I'm back. I had merely lurked here for a few years before today. :D
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

Wow, my birthday is 4/13, too. I've wanted to be on Jeopardy as long as I can remember. I've only seriously been trying to get on for the past 6 years or so. I've been invited to audition twice and attended once. I went to one of the old auditions and passed the written test and played the mock game (when they used to have 200 people in a room and have 7 of them stay after the test).

I'm a lawyer with a BS in history and an MA from a UK school. Hopefully, I can contribute something here and learn something, too!
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Hi everyone! I don't think I introduced myself here. I'm a newbie you may have seen all over the internet a couple of weeks ago. ("uhhhh...In Life for $400"). Otherwise, I'm a mild-mannered Chicagoan (originally from upstate NY).

I really like this place. Thanks for letting me stick around. I'm mystified by the fact I didn't discover it years ago.

(edited for etiquette)
dragonscale333
Contributor

Post by dragonscale333 »

Hey everyone! I'm Thomas, a life-long SF Bay Area resident. I've been an avid fan of Jeopardy! since middle school, and having "passed" the test for the first time ever this year, I'm hoping that my luck will be good =)

Among my trivia interests are: beverages (beer for the most part, but also whiskey, tequila and cocktails), entomology/arachnology, geography, classical music, anything food related (but especially vegetables!), and assorted minutiae. I have an open love for competitive reality shows (Survivor, Big Brother, Top Chef, and in the past, American Idol and The Voice). My weaknesses are having incredibly little capacity for remembering names and numbers (gah), not caring about things that I don't think are interesting (having tried to memorize presidential trivia...), pre-2000s pop culture (since I was born in 1991), and understanding British accents.

Please see my full dating profile at...oh wait, wrong site!
SouJeo
Contributor

Post by SouJeo »

For all the newcomers, this post got buried in the thread back when I introduced myself here. So just wanted to let you all know about an mobile app I built for Jeopardy fans. Check it out!

Thanks to my husband I have grown interest and respect for Jeopardy and its contestants. I have seen the passion and love my husband had for Jeopardy and how he would go over old episodes whatever he can get his hands on from Youtube and try to answer the questions.

I have also seen his go all over the internet looking for trivia on his phone and anywhere on the go.

I thought it would be neat to have J-Archive as a Flashcard app. I was also surprised that there is none till now.

I published a first flash card format app with J-Archive questions to the Android and Amazon App Store. Check it out here
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ity.JFlash
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UW5AOHC

For non-Android users or if you do not want to download the app try the web version which looks and feels like the app.
http://jflashwebcloud.azurewebsites.net ... ries/Top10

Hope you like it!
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Hey everyone!

I've got several posts in already but I haven't introduced myself here yet so here I go!

My name's Tom and I'm a student at Georgia Tech (although currently on summer break, hallelujah). I've loved Jeopardy! and all things trivia for as long as I can remember. I play trivia regularly every Friday night at a local Starbucks with my family and we do pretty well :D . I also did some quiz bowl stuff in high school.

I'm excited to become a part of an active Jeopardy! community!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hey folks!

I just graduated from college and am anxiously awaiting the start of real life. I've watched Jeopardy! for as long as I can remember, but when I qualified to try out 2 years ago I got hooked. I unfortunately didn't get the call, but I haven't missed an episode since. A few months ago my team failed to place in the Tournament of Champions for bar trivia, the worst blow thus far in my life.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

<Bump> Any newbies here are welcome to jump aboard ...
adamnvillani
Contributor

Post by adamnvillani »

Oh hey, I didn't realize there was an intro thread. I'm Adam Villani. I appeared on Jeopardy! in 2004 and had the misfortune of facing Ken Jennings in his 61st episode. I did well against him, scoring the highest Coryat of any of his opponents during his initial run, but alas, not good enough to win. I also appeared on Win Ben Stein's Money in 2000 and 500 Questions in 2015.
adamnvillani
Contributor

Post by adamnvillani »

To add a little bit more, my hometown is Long Beach, California, but I currently live in Simi Valley, in adjacent Ventura County, and work for the City of Los Angeles as a city planner. I have a Bachelor's in Geology from Caltech and a Master of Urban and Regional Planning degree from Cal Poly Pomona. I also worked for a while as an engineer making universal remote controls. I consider myself a quizzing generalist, with my strongest category generally being geography, but of course, that's a lot of people's strongest category. I more or less learned to read from reading street maps and enjoy traveling around the country and studying different cities, transit systems, National Parks, etc. I also like movies, comic books, tabletop games, roller coasters, electoral politics, etc.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I kept forgetting to post here the 2 (I think) times this got bumped since I registered, so thanks, alietr.

I'm a shiftless layabout from somewhere in the tick- and mosquito-infested swampy Northeast.

I've been watching Jeopardy! as long as I can remember, apart from a gap of a few years in the late '00s. I was watching again by '08, because Larissa Kelly is my favorite contestant of all time. When Alex eventually retires, my ideal replacement would be Billy Eichner. He seems like the only person who would get properly exasperated at the more ridiculous answers people sometimes give. (This is mostly a joke. Mostly.)

My other favorite game show is the British show Pointless, which I discovered a few years ago. There's a Pointless app that I've done quite well in using "seaborgium" whenever possible. I should probably participate in a TD at some point, because there's a little similarity there. When I look at the answers I would have given, sometimes I wouldn't have been dead last!

I used to look at this board occasionally while mainly reading a certain other website -- usually when the feral population there got to be too much. I've been reading here (and The Final Wager) regularly since shortly after the Battle of the Decades, and I've almost entirely kicked the habit of looking at The Other Place.

As for the username -- no relation.
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

adamnvillani wrote:Oh hey, I didn't realize there was an intro thread. I'm Adam Villani. I appeared on Jeopardy! in 2004 and had the misfortune of facing Ken Jennings in his 61st episode. I did well against him, scoring the highest Coryat of any of his opponents during his initial run, but alas, not good enough to win. I also appeared on Win Ben Stein's Money in 2000 and 500 Questions in 2015.
Were you at tcona last year? We may have played quiz bowl against eaxh other iirc.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Hey folks,
Brooklyn resident, New Hampshire born. Avid reader of the J-archive since I don't get home from work in time to catch the actual episodes. Just stumbled across the boards recently and looking forward to exploring more.
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

I'm Jessica, from Rhode Island, found on a bunch of other game show related sites. 23, been a fan since I was 3, and rather obviously love trivia, traveling, learning new things of any topic save pop culture, sports, good eats, acting, following politics, modern news, stock markets, and doing media advocacy work, including a documentary that comes out about my life next year. Also the owner of JBoard's sister show forum, the Buy a Vowel Boards. I'm also currently a recent graduate (undergrad) in Finance and French, and hope to be a hedge fund manager someday.

For some reason, on the whole, this show keeps getting easier to me, going by my Coryats. Whether that's because I'm learning more, in where one Wikipedia page leads to 20 others, or the show truly is simply getting easier, I am glad to see it happen. Still too afraid to try out though, because my psyche didn't take it too well when even Wheel didn't want me. Probably should give it a go though, since they do want the best and brightest, and that's fully on me to prove it. Still a dream to make it on a trivia based game show. Millionaire is probably my best bet, due to proximity. Looking forward to being in a community of like-minded individuals.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Prizes wrote:I'm Jessica, from Rhode Island, found on a bunch of other game show related sites. 23, been a fan since I was 3, and rather obviously love trivia, traveling, learning new things of any topic save pop culture, sports, good eats, acting, following politics, modern news, stock markets, and doing media advocacy work, including a documentary that comes out about my life next year. Also the owner of JBoard's sister show forum, the Buy a Vowel Boards. I'm also currently a recent graduate (undergrad) in Finance and French, and hope to be a hedge fund manager someday.

For some reason, on the whole, this show keeps getting easier to me, going by my Coryats. Whether that's because I'm learning more, in where one Wikipedia page leads to 20 others, or the show truly is simply getting easier, I am glad to see it happen. Still too afraid to try out though, because my psyche didn't take it too well when even Wheel didn't want me. Probably should give it a go though, since they do want the best and brightest, and that's fully on me to prove it. Still a dream to make it on a trivia based game show. Millionaire is probably my best bet, due to proximity. Looking forward to being in a community of like-minded individuals.
Welcome, Jessica, and please do start taking the tests if you haven't already. There's no risk involved and it'll give you immediate (or near-immediate) feedback as to how you stack up vis-a-vis the show's expectations. Also, those tests provide tremendous motivation for getting better. When I started taking them, I got 32-34 out of 50. After a year or two lurking on the predecessor board, my scores had improved to 39-41 out of 50. It also helps to regularly watch the show, too.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently reside in the Bay Area (Dublin for those of you who know the Bay Area well). Excited to start lurking with an account from now on!