Do you think that Arthur Chu is going to change how the game is played?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Do you think that Arthur Chu is going to change how the game is played?

Post by BigDaddyJ »

El Jefe wrote:Another entertaining recent piece by Arthur:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -park.html
Nuh-uh. Did he really just call Sulu campy and boring?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyJ wrote:

Nuh-uh. Did he really just call Sulu campy and boring?
Must be conflating the character and actor. Sulu is pretty boring (compared to the other characters and his actor), Takei is the definition of campy (in a hella good kind of way)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Kid Charlemagne wrote:At what point do we see contestants who would have had the chance to have seen some of Arthur Chu's episodes?
See above; this week's contestants would have had the chance to see Arthur's first four games.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Pretty interesting piece except for the gratuitous bit about peptic ulcers.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

The thing is, even if you knew all the strategies like DD-hunting, wouldn't it be tough to execute under pressure on stage? Even after seeing Arthur's games, I would think to myself on the way out, "I better DD-hunt." However, under the intense pressure of the stage, I would be WAY too nervous and probably take the easy way out like conventional players.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

TPTB have put up a new video on YouTube that is strange both in timing and content.

Why pick now to revisit the Arthur Chu run?

And why harp on three clues in which Arthur either supplied weird pronunciations (one acceptable, one not) or overemphasized the pronunciation (apparently having learned from the earlier clue)?

If I had to pick three Chu "moments" as "memorable" it wouldn't be these three, so I'm kind of mystified.

rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Well, unless TPTB decides to make a last-minute switch, Arthur's games get another run beginning tomorrow on "Daytime Jeopardy!"
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rmfromfla wrote:Well, unless TPTB decides to make a last-minute switch, Arthur's games get another run beginning tomorrow on "Daytime Jeopardy!"
You haven't been watching Daytime J! then. I haven't watched Friday's tape yet, but today was Day 1 of the Teen Tourney, which makes sense - other than skipping over the game immediately after what (I assume) aired Friday, the Teens follow Chus start and a BotD week (80s), both of which were aired recently in Daytime J! (Chu in Sept. and the BotD last summer). I assume 6761 was skipped because it was a Monday game - Arthur's first appearance was a Tuesday and since they started this season's Daytime J! with his runs they skipped to the next useable Monday, the Teens.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:TPTB have put up a new video on YouTube that is strange both in timing and content.

And why harp on three clues in which Arthur either supplied weird pronunciations (one acceptable, one not) or overemphasized the pronunciation (apparently having learned from the earlier clue)?

If I had to pick three Chu "moments" as "memorable" it wouldn't be these three, so I'm kind of mystified.
Remember, you and I aren't the typical J! viewer, the Facebook crowd is - and TPTB knows this. This is probably the stuff that they think plays in Peoria.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
Robert K S wrote:TPTB have put up a new video on YouTube that is strange both in timing and content.

Remember, you and I aren't the typical J! viewer, the Facebook crowd is - and TPTB knows this. This is probably the stuff that they think plays in Peoria.
I think Peorians would be as bored by these clips as the rest of us. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Maybe they're trying to get people to stop posting about the Emanciptation Proclamation game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

hbomb1947 wrote:I think Peorians would be as bored by these clips as the rest of us. :)
Speaking as an official representative of flyover country: Yep.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Ok, maybe I haven't watched Daytime J! yet today -- BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AIR HERE UNTIL 6PM! :roll:

And of course, it was nice of my CBS affiliate to rerun #6760 at 2AM on Friday night/Saturday morning (due to to basketball tournament), that being Chip Bell's win #2. ($29,300)
Arthur's first appearance was on a Tuesday? Geez, I have to watch the show more (maybe re-watch some of those Season 6 tapes stashed under the TV set....)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rmfromfla wrote:Ok, maybe I haven't watched Daytime J! yet today -- BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AIR HERE UNTIL 6PM! :roll:
I kind of figured they wouldn't do Arthur Chu in late March for the simple reason that they started the season with him, then Julia (then Sandie Baker), showing him twice (once in September, once in March) would have 12 "regular" (non-Arthur, "ordinary") games unaired. There was 230 games in Season 30, and 230 days in this season of Daytime J!, if you start with Arthur and Julia and Sandie, you'll be skipping over them later.

My question is what are they going to do since they just skipped over the BotD as well? Perhaps end this season of Daytime J! with the BotD (since they're not airing it now since it's too close to last summer when they last showed it, showing it this summer, a whole year after they last showed it, makes good sense.)

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Spoiler for 3/23 game
Spoiler
With the repeat of the pronunciation of Gerry on today's show, perhaps that's why they pulled out the Chu clips
Still pretty silly to publish this now though.
davey

Post by davey »

The clips show him, in one game, being corrected, acting a little peevish about it two clues later, and shortly after being (sort of) reprimanded by Alex for disputing another correction...
Maybe chosen for (by?) the Arthur haters...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote: The clips show him, in one game, being corrected, acting a little peevish about it two clues later, and shortly after being (sort of) reprimanded by Alex for disputing another correction...
Nope, it looks like it was made by SPE and it was posted on Jeopardy!'s official YouTube account, so TPTB wouldn't feed "haters" of any player.

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
davey wrote: The clips show him, in one game, being corrected, acting a little peevish about it two clues later, and shortly after being (sort of) reprimanded by Alex for disputing another correction...
Nope, it looks like it was made by SPE and it was posted on Jeopardy!'s official YouTube account, so TPTB wouldn't feed "haters" of any player.
OK, so what's your theory?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Oh I don't have a theory, I'm as puzzled as Robert KS is.

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Oh I don't have a theory, I'm as puzzled as Robert KS is.
I'm not entirely convinced of mine, but also not so sure J! is incapable of exploiting negative reaction...
Remember this promotion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtGyY0cqPA