Thursday, March 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, March 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

El Jefe wrote:Heck, there's still a raging debate on how to pronounce the author's name properly ( \ tol-keen \ is my vote).
Is there? I mean, does the author have a say? He answers that question in his letters. More than once, I believe.

Your vote may be right, depending on how you pronounce it. The second syllable is definitely correct. TOHL-keen, if I recall, is the author's preference.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

lisa0012 wrote:I didn't realize the Prohibition Party still exists.
http://www.prohibitionparty.org/
For the most trivial among us, I found the silhouette of a bactrian camel on the above website.

So while they may be the world's ultimate party poopers, they at least think that two humps are better than one.
OCSam
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

skullturf wrote:I'm not sure if the boards are easier this week or if I'm just getting better, but this might be my best week ever as far as Coryat scores are concerned.
I've been keeping track for three years and barring a complete disaster of a game, this week will be my best week ever by a wide margin (not counting teens, and celebs). I'm on pace for about 45 correct answers more than normal, and 20 correct answers beyond my best week ever. My coryat is about 8,000 above my average. Tueday was the only board that was typical, the other three boards were the kind of score I get once every three weeks or so.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

BobF wrote:My first thought on FJ was "pink elephant", my second was "camel" which sounded a bit more reasonable. Not sure which I would have written if I was on the show.

Heck, if I was on the show, I might have written Madagascar hissing cockroach if I couldn't handle the pressure. :-)
Or at least included it as a crossed out marktiple choice with the correct response below it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:I was worried I wouldn't see the show due to basketball, but my local station ran it this morning and my DVR picked it up.
In my area J! WAS preempted by basketball. Now that IS madness.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Diane looked like Mayim Bialik, but she also sounded a lot like her. I think the two combined is what really made it weird.

I was a little concerned about FJ when I saw my wife write down an answer immediately. I was stumped for about 15 seconds until I thought "what animal is known for not drinking?" Then it was obviousl
kristianzoerhoff
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kristianzoerhoff »

I blanked on FJ entirely. My wife, OTOH, instagot it.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Megachurches' gospel of greed moves one comma, adds another: "So, help me, G

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
zakharov wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
I know it isn't part of the official oath, but I was really hoping they'd work in "So help me, God" into that category.
Why don't you just get fitted for your hood and robes, you raging bigot???
While I don't share the original poster's sentiments, and wish all the pious would keep their zealotry to themselves -- as Jesus, himself counseled in Matthew 6:6 ("But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you") -- I fail to see how his statement makes him a bigot, raging or otherwise.
It's a joke based on recent board drama.
Aww, why did you tell him? We could have had fun with it.
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

On Final J, I wavered between fish - who live in water but don't drink it, and camels - who don't need to drink (often). Considered that camels drink a lot when they do drink, so went with fish. I couldn't imagine it making a good logo, but camel has an anachronistic association with smoking that made it look even worse in my imagination.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thanks to the mystery man who provided me with this episode. CBC, y u no longer show J! and Wheel for backup during March Madness?

====

Afghanistan has a president. Noted.

I kinda sorta had a vague idea on the words to the Presidential oath, but not clearly enough to get anything more than "solemnly". Cute category though.

Why is it "ominous" that Blackberry is HQ'd in Waterloo? Pretty sure Napoleon has nothing to do with phones. Also, I don't think I've heard of anyone using a Blackberry in several years. Doesn't everyone use iPhones now (except me, because touch screens hate my tiny little raccoon hands)?

Lulu Lemon was also a total doozy that I'm surprised wasn't a TS. Who practices yoga anymore, anyway?

I've never watched Breaking Bad, and I have no clue who Heisenberg is other than the uncertainty guy, so I was in neither circle of the "science geek"/"Breaking Bad fan" Venn diagram.

The Acropolis is just a hill? Not what I heard.

Scud was my only miss in Danger.

4/5 on Knocks, with $800 being a frustrating miss. I've seen Todd in the Shadows review Glitter, but I got it mashed up in my head with his review of Burlesque, and couldn't get Aguilera out of my head in time. I was going "Not Aguilera, the other one" and my mind was just screaming "AGUILERA AGUILERA AGUILERA AGUILERA" through a megaphone. My mind does that a lot.

====

"Cap" from $800 down seemed upside-down, and I say that because my missing "Capricorn" was just a brain fart. I have NHO "caplet" (surprised that wasn't a TS!) or "capitulate", but "capitalize" and "capacitor" were far easier IMO.

Another stupid miss: "Our Gang". Totally slipped out of my head. Akron = Rubber was also a "oh yeah, duh, I knew that" moment.

KotH and Clerks were my only gets in Movie and TV, although I clammed on Spider-Man (not a superhero fan — I just don't get the genre's draw). I couldn't get into Clerks at all. 45 minutes in and it felt like NOTHING had happened.

Imagine Dragons was miles over my head all the way down.

====

Not a single animal seemed "appropriate" to prohibition for me. ("What animal would be a stereotypical drunk?" was my über-b0rked logic.) I could've stared at this for months and never gotten to camel.
John Boy wrote:In my area J! WAS preempted by basketball. Now that IS madness.
Madness…

THIS! IS!… …screw it, you knew where that was going.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lulu Lemon was also a total doozy that I'm surprised wasn't a TS. Who practices yoga anymore, anyway?
I knew that from Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Why is it "ominous" that Blackberry is HQ'd in Waterloo?
Also, I don't think I've heard of anyone using a Blackberry in several years.
Asked and answered.

Lululemon had a bit of a news flurry last year as some of their yoga pants became transparent when you wore them, and things went very downhill from a PR standpoint: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... s/2025041/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:Asked and answered.
It was?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why is it "ominous" that Blackberry is HQ'd in Waterloo? Napoleon
Exactly!
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still don't see what Napoleon has to do with phones...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:Asked and answered.
It was?
Yes. TPH asked the question and then answered it on his own.

To "meet one's Waterloo" is where a champion is finally defeated. (As demonstrated where TPH points out that, where once ubiquitous, especially in the business world, no one uses Blackberries anymore.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I still don't see what Napoleon has to do with phones...
If he had had one at Waterloo, we'd all be speaking French.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lulu Lemon was also a total doozy that I'm surprised wasn't a TS. Who practices yoga anymore, anyway?
Where I live I would guess yoga is more popular than it's ever been, not to mention yoga clothing is very popular. And, as someone already pointed out, Lululemon has been in the news recently due to their CEOs repeatedly putting his foot in his mouth (is that some kind of yoga asana? :D ).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Thanks to the mystery man who provided me with this episode. CBC, y u no longer show J! and Wheel for backup during March Madness?
Obviously you weren't spending enough on the advertisers to have them consider keeping it. Y u no buy 50 million bottles of Aleve?
TenPoundHammer wrote:Afghanistan has a president. Noted.
And what did you think it had? The only other choices I could think that are alternatives are kings (monarchy, which Afghanistan hasn't been since 1973 and I'm sure even you know it isn't one) and prime ministers (for constitutional monarchies, but there's the pesky royalty thing again - sure places like Russia and Brazil have prime ministers, but they are subordinate to the president.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:I have no clue who Heisenberg is other than the uncertainty guy
I got a chuckle out of that statement.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

dhkendall wrote: And what did you think it had? The only other choices I could think that are alternatives are kings (monarchy, which Afghanistan hasn't been since 1973 and I'm sure even you know it isn't one) and prime ministers (for constitutional monarchies, but there's the pesky royalty thing again - sure places like Russia and Brazil have prime ministers, but they are subordinate to the president.)
Israel's president is nominally head of state, but the president's power is pretty much ceremonial; the prime minister is the most powerful political figure in Israel and pretty much runs the government.