FJs for the 3/17/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 3/17/14 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm

More than 1/5 of all the world's people live in countries bordering this, the world's biggest bay
90%
The author of more than 50 books, he won 6 Hugo awards & was nominated for a 1968 Oscar
71%
She beat out newcomers like Bieber & Gaga to top Forbes' list of the highest-paid people in music for 2013
40%
In 1908 this animal appropriately became the mascot of the Prohibition Party
43%
On learning what his series would be called, the star of this reality show said, "That sounds like a Chinese food place!"
25%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
3%
THE FRENCH $800: In 1858 Bernadette Soubirous claimed the virgin Mary appeared to her 18 times in this town
67%
STATE SONGS $2000: One of Colorado's state songs mentions this official state flower in its title & lyrics
58%
20TH CENTURY AMERICANS $2000: At the time of his death, Charlie Chaplin was married to this playwright's daughter, Oona
62%
Yes, I went 5/5 in the category EARS, NOSE OR THROAT on Monday.
75%
One of the 2 sons of George H.W. Bush who were never a state governor: I had both Neil and Marvin.
10%
Ashley Jones served up some bon temps at Merlotte's as Daphne on this HBO drama - My incorrect guess was "Treme."
18%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Isaac Asimov.
5%
My incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue was a one-named singer, but I had Rihanna, Beyonce or Cher.
24%
I have never seen an episode of "Duck Dynasty."
83%

Total votes: 126

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 3/17/14 week

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

First losing week in quite some time. Wednesday: considered Madonna, picked Beyonce, wondering where all the Madonna money would have come from. I was not shocked to be wrong. I also feel I have had enough musical list questions for a while.

Thursday, well, I knew camel was right as soon as someone else guessed it, but it didn't come to me. I said "fox", thinking of the sour grapes comment from Aesop's fox. I dislike FJ 's with leading words like "appropriately"; it's like placing "you're going to love this!" right in the clue.

Friday, would never have got it. At least it wasn't "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo".
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was going to say something about the Duck Dynasty FJ not having enough TOM, but since it went 2/3 on the show, I held my tongue. Now that I'm seeing the way the poll is coming in, I feel like I can say it. The Duck Dynasty FJ didn't have enough TOM.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I have never seen Duck Dynasty. I haven't seen Jeopardy in 3 or 4 weeks either. It's amazing how stupid TV becomes if you don't watch it for a while.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No poll question on the pledge of allegiance?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:No poll question on the pledge of allegiance?
Or on whether trolls should be banned?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ironically, I double clutched with Clarke because the category was "British Authors," and I kept thinking of him a Sri Lankan (where he wrote his post 2001 novels in the series).

Sadly, columbine is forever etched in my memory (and likely others) as the Colorado state flower for tragic reasons.

Strangely enough, I precalled "Duck Dynasty," but when the clue came up, I went with "Honey Boo Boo" (hey, I've seen some interesting Chinese restaurant names over the years!)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Fri - Iron Chef...got stuck on the cooking aspect.
alietr wrote:I was going to say something about the Duck Dynasty FJ not having enough TOM, but since it went 2/3 on the show, I held my tongue. Now that I'm seeing the way the poll is coming in, I feel like I can say it. The Duck Dynasty FJ didn't have enough TOM.
I dunno...if Duck Dynasty crossed my mind, I'm certain I would have switched to it. It's more a personally enforced lack of familiarity with the show that even prevented the gray matter from coming up with it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

W: Lots of good precalls off THE MUSIC INDUSTRY category: Decca, Motown, Chess, A & M, Paisley Palace (whoops, it's Park), RIAA. But wait, it's yet another name-a-singer-from-an-arbitrary-list clue. Whenever it's been Babs in the past, I've always missed it, so my new rule was "When in doubt, guess Babs". Now I need to come up with another new rule. :roll:

Camel and "Duck Dynasty" make sense in hindsight, but I wasn't even in the neighborhood with placeholder guesses of bear and "American Chopper".

I don't think I've seen an entire episode of "Duck Dynasty", but I've seen multiple extensive clips of the show on imdb -- enough to qualify as having watched it, I think.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not that I know or care about pop music, but Wed.'s correct response surprises me...never underestimate nostalgia acts, I guess. My response was Beyonce.
Camel was a lucky last-second stab, Duck Dynasty I got from Alex's hick accent and its recent "newsworthiness."
Not so aware of Marvin Bush, familiar with True Blood but jumped the gun with Treme, thinking of Janette and her restaurant. Daphne was a minor character on True Blood who didn't roll out a good time for Sam, as I recall...
Last edited by davey on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I was going to say something about the Duck Dynasty FJ not having enough TOM, but since it went 2/3 on the show, I held my tongue. Now that I'm seeing the way the poll is coming in, I feel like I can say it. The Duck Dynasty FJ didn't have enough TOM.
I'd agree.

Let's just say that if it were WWTBAM, and Duck Dynasty was one of the 4 choices, there's a good chance I still wouldn't have picked it.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Since we were out of town, I didn't see Monday's game, and missed chunks of Tuesday's. I'm guessing the HBO show was
Spoiler
True Blood?
Dh and I watched about 10 minutes of Duck Dynasty while we were out of town (no cable at home), but couldn't stand to see any more.

Oh, and I guessed Beyonce for the one-named singer FJ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
I'd agree.

Let's just say that if it were WWTBAM, and Duck Dynasty was one of the 4 choices, there's a good chance I still wouldn't have picked it.
And that comes from someone in the 17% who have actually seen it.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

On Wednesday, I didn't get the hint that they were looking for a one-named singer, but I said one anyway.
And for the Duck Dynasty one, I may have gotten it in a multiple-choice setting, but the clue had me thinking of cooking shows and I never would've thought of it.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Sorry to interrupt, but I can't figure out what TOM stands for. I usually use it to mean Time of Month, but obviously that's wrong. I googled it and when I saw Tumbling Older Man, I decided it was time to give up and ask.

Thanks for any responses.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

clprez wrote:Sorry to interrupt, but I can't figure out what TOM stands for. I usually use it to mean Time of Month, but obviously that's wrong. I googled it and when I saw Tumbling Old Man, I decided it was time to give up and ask.

Thanks for any responses.
Here's a link to the explanation at the J! Archive. That's not to blow you off, but to hook you up with a page that will answer many such questions.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never eaten it, but Peking duck is a popular dish. And dynasty is a word often associated with Chinese ruling families. I guess Alex's Uncle Si impression was supposed to be another hint.

That said, I was thinking of competition shows during the break and never got there. If I had the show in my mind, it would have made sense to me.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Here's a link to the explanation at the J! Archive. That's not to blow you off, but to hook you up with a page that will answer many such questions.
Having just looked up the archive's definition, let me say that although the term "TOM" was coined in honor of Tom Kelso, who enunciated the concept, I am pretty sure he did not in fact name it for himself. Schvatal, if memory serves, named it for him.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: And dynasty is a word often associated with Chinese ruling families.
Probably more to the point, "Dynasty" is in the name of a lot of Chinese restaurants. Google "Hunan Dynasty," for example...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I get the feeling that I chose the right time to click the "never seen an episode of Duck Dynasty" button - at work, there is a lounge for the drivers with comfortable leather sofas and a big screen TV with satellite; I'm not a driver, but I like to take my breaks there as it's nice and cozy (and can relax while I check the board on my iPhone). Anyways, the drivers seem to really like reality TV, especially the types on Discovery, HGTV (or whatever the American equivalent is), A&E, etc. I've seen many reality shows featuring rough and tumble outdoorsmen (I can see why this would appeal to a bunch of truck drivers), but I've yet to catch Duck Dynasty, I'm thinking it's only because it must be on when I don't usually take my breaks. But, my luck will run out sometime, and I'll have to catch 15 minutes of it sometime.

(ETA: Aargh! The distant recesses of my brain reminded me I caught part of an episode at work where one of their daughters was getting married or something, and the Dynasty guys tagged along with her to the city and made fun of all the sophisticated people there. Damn it, I had to uncheck that button!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:I get the feeling that I chose the right time to click the "never seen an episode of Duck Dynasty" button - at work, there is a lounge for the drivers with comfortable leather sofas and a big screen TV with satellite; I'm not a driver, but I like to take my breaks there as it's nice and cozy (and can relax while I check the board on my iPhone). Anyways, the drivers seem to really like reality TV, especially the types on Discovery, HGTV (or whatever the American equivalent is), A&E, etc. I've seen many reality shows featuring rough and tumble outdoorsmen (I can see why this would appeal to a bunch of truck drivers), but I've yet to catch Duck Dynasty, I'm thinking it's only because it must be on when I don't usually take my breaks. But, my luck will run out sometime, and I'll have to catch 15 minutes of it sometime.

(ETA: Aargh! The distant recesses of my brain reminded me I caught part of an episode at work where one of their daughters was getting married or something, and the Dynasty guys tagged along with her to the city and made fun of all the sophisticated people there. Damn it, I had to uncheck that button!)
I would say that there's a distinct difference between "I've never seen an episode of Duck Dynasty" and "I've never seen a single minute of Duck Dynasty". I don't think having seen 5 or 10 minutes of the show necessarily means that you can't check that box.