Tuesday, March 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Laying it on with a vowel

Post by El Jefe »

Sage on the Hudson wrote: Byeh-lo-RUSS is one of the correct pronunciations.
Fixed it for ya.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Can we get Arthur Chu back yet? Egad! Between the pacing, the depth of knowledge displayed and the wagering, this has to rank as one of the poorest-played games it's been my misfortune to watch. Too much Lach trash to count, and multiple examples of me literally screaming at the TV in frustration. Not good. FJ was an instaget for me despite my having to suss out the Latin for island. The BoTD can't come fast enough, I'm telling you...
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

Good answer, silverscreentest, RE: difference between Chagall and Rothko. I suppose Rothko = colored rectangles would be a good Pavlov. I admit I struggle sometimes with my art appreciation, and the colored rectangles I don't quite appreciate yet. Maybe someone with a little more art aptitude can help me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:I suppose Rothko = colored rectangles would be a good Pavlov.
No, that would be Mondrian.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I've heard "Color Field" as the term associated with Rothko.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Field
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
jeopardyhopeful wrote:I suppose Rothko = colored rectangles would be a good Pavlov.
If there's a lot of white space, it's Mondrian. Mondrian's paintings also look like they were measured and drawn with a T-square. Rothko's were more "Let's do red to here-ish ... and blue to here-ish ... and the rest is green."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
If there's a lot of white space, it's Mondrian. Mondrian's paintings also look like they were measured and drawn with a T-square. Rothko's were more "Let's do red to here-ish ... and blue to here-ish ... and the rest is green."
Right. Big swaths of color = Rothko. Small, precise squares/rectangles of color = Mondrian.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

aeq5006 wrote:
debramc wrote:
John Boy wrote:What was the wording of the clue asking for "phaser?" I probably misread it or misremember it to think it had something to do with Star Wars, which wouldn't fit "phaser" at all.
Logically, one of these weapons from "Star Trek"
I thought there was more than that in the clue as well, but I just reviewed it. "Logically" is the subtle TOM, "Star Trek" is the one that hits you on the head.
"Logically" because of Spock? I was thinking that they wanted to know what, logically, it "should" be called, which made me think "stun gun" was a reasonable guess. ISTM that parts of the clue that are included for TOM should work both as TOM and as actual clue. There's nothing particularly "logical" about calling it a "phaser".
Yes, because of Spock. In case someone didn't know "Star Trek=phaser", but did know "logically=Spock=phaser".
Sure, it would be nice if TOMs fit the whole clue and weren't just thrown in as hints, but that's how they're usually written. I'm under the impression (can't give you any examples, besides this very clue) that it's often precisely the bits that seem out of place or extraneous that are in there as TOM.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sign for $400 was tough. What made that clearly Japanese and not Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.? That was my only miss there.
Because it says "chika testu" in kanji. Duh!

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Repent, BADuBois!

Post by Rex Kramer »

BADuBois wrote:Fj was an Instaget for me, as I recalled the Islets of Langerhans, from a Harlan Ellison SF short story of many, many years ago. How's that for obscure trivia?
Not *that* obscure, and (ahem) not *that* many years ago. (Okay, I was 10.)

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

If only Amy Farrah Fowler from last Thursday's episode had been the one to offer the "What is a light saber?" response. That would have been sublime.

Rex