Friday, March 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, March 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Nobody told me this was Argyle Week. I approve.

Protip: Don't try to play along to J! if you have a stomachache. Oh, Buffalo Wild Wings, you are an evil seductress…

====

TV Title Pairs: Too slow on Will & Grace, got Beavis & Butt-Head. I precalled Mike & Molly but apparently I don't watch it enough, because I didn't know their occupations. Starsky & Hutch was an "oh yeah, duh" moment, but Franklin & Bash was waaaaaay obscure IMO.

Unusually poor performance in the Animals category:

1. What was supposed to lead to zebra at $400? "Stripes" is a pretty weak TOM since, ya know, tigers have stripes too and that was almost my guess.
2. What was the TOM for Bison at $800?
3. Wow, "civet" has been off my radar forever. I don't think I'd have gotten that without that nasty coffee bean thing as a TOM.

Stupid clam on 7/4/1776. What was I afraid of screwing up there?! Especially since I did get unalienable?

I said "Yoda, who is?" on Sand for $400. Judges? [lol]

Oh, those kind of footprints (Footprints for $600). Got a little too literal minded to notice the blatant outlines of the towers, so I was looking for actual literall footprints in the picture and getting confused on why I was seeing none.

Ran TNT with a Lach Trash on "taint".

====

Oh, tonic water. Quinine. Duh. I knew that.

Conservative Reading List for $400: See? THIS is why I don't always "go with the most obvious choice", because every time I do, it's the second most obvious that they want! What led to Yale over Harvard there anyway?!

"Searching feverishly" is a thing?!

Lach trash: "Half heartedly".

"Mistral"?!?

====

No guess. NHO "Reds".

+1 to the champ though.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Paucle wrote:My guess: the idiot in the audience was furthering his idiocy by laughing, thinking her goal was to visit all 50 Capitals, when it's actually her intent to visit all 50 Capitols (which most certainly can be closed).
This was my interpretation too, because I also assumed that she was visiting cities rather than buildings and puzzled about them being closed. He may have been laughing at himself more than at her.
BADuBois wrote:The champ was impressive, but boy, a shout-out to one's ex-dental hygienist? Must be one heck of a back story there.
My former dentist and I used to save up interesting trivia for each other, and when I saw Amy's shout-out to her ex-dental hygienist, I thought, "I hope Dr. Schindler isn't watching, because now I feel bad for not giving her a shout-out." Aren't we specifically told NOT to do shout-outs in Final Jeopardy! though? Amy's a rebel.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

sarah0114 wrote:
Paucle wrote:My guess: the idiot in the audience was furthering his idiocy by laughing, thinking her goal was to visit all 50 Capitals, when it's actually her intent to visit all 50 Capitols (which most certainly can be closed).
This was my interpretation too, because I also assumed that she was visiting cities rather than buildings and puzzled about them being closed. He may have been laughing at himself more than at her.
That's a fairly safe first assumption, but it doesn't take (or at least it didn't take me) more than a millisecond to make the jump ("Oh! She means capitols, not capitals")
sarah0114 wrote:
BADuBois wrote:The champ was impressive, but boy, a shout-out to one's ex-dental hygienist? Must be one heck of a back story there.
My former dentist and I used to save up interesting trivia for each other, and when I saw Amy's shout-out to her ex-dental hygienist, I thought, "I hope Dr. Schindler isn't watching, because now I feel bad for not giving her a shout-out." Aren't we specifically told NOT to do shout-outs in Final Jeopardy! though? Amy's a rebel.
So, if you had done that, and Alex asked who that was, you'd have answered "my ex-dentist". Now, ex-dental hygenist doesn't sound so weird.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

That particular bit of trivia on Reds was pretty well disseminated around the time when SLP got nominated, but unless you were really following Oscar nominees at that time, it was a tough grab.

The new champ is pretty darned good. Some real deep knowledge there, solid buzzer skills, could run for a while.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sarah0114 wrote:Aren't we specifically told NOT to do shout-outs in Final Jeopardy! though? Amy's a rebel.
It's also specifically mentioned to run the categories top to bottom too, what's yer point? :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

dhkendall wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:Aren't we specifically told NOT to do shout-outs in Final Jeopardy! though? Amy's a rebel.
It's also specifically mentioned to run the categories top to bottom too, what's yer point? :)
Yeah, but that's given more as a guideline. Maggie talks about the Forrest Bounce and how that works for some contestants but confuses others. The shout-out thing seemed to me to be more of a rule than a guideline.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

I thought of Reds right away, but spent some time trying to think if there'd been any others between that and SLP. I knew Silence of the Lambs was one of the few with 5 big nominations, but I figured that included picture and director, two acting, and one other (couldn't remember what, maybe screenplay), so that wouldn't include 4 acting categories (plus, I was pretty sure no actors had been nominated besides Foster and Hopkins).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

periwinkle wrote:I thought of Reds right away, but spent some time trying to think if there'd been any others between that and SLP. I knew Silence of the Lambs was one of the few with 5 big nominations, but I figured that included picture and director, two acting, and one other (couldn't remember what, maybe screenplay), so that wouldn't include 4 acting categories (plus, I was pretty sure no actors had been nominated besides Foster and Hopkins).
Yeah, the "big five" that It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and The Silence of the Lambs won are picture / director / actor / actress / screenplay. (Interestingly, all three were adapted screenplays. Also, It Happened One Night was only nominated for those five awards, making the accomplishment that much more impressive.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sarah0114 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Yeah, but that's given more as a guideline. Maggie talks about the Forrest Bounce and how that works for some contestants but confuses others. The shout-out thing seemed to me to be more of a rule than a guideline.
If it's a *rule*, heck, they could easily fix no shoutouts, if nothing else, TPTB (well, not quite but you know what I mean) can digitally erase the shoutout from their board before reveal if it's that verboten. I'm sure if someone put something offensive, precautions would be taken; similar precautions could be taken for shoutouts, but aren't, so that says something.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Nobody told me this was Argyle Week. I approve....
There were a couple of shots where I thought the champ was wearing a sash.

Amy and her ex-dental hygienist are still on good terms apparently. At least they're not avoiding each other like the plaque.
OCSam
Sage on the Hudson

It was just a Rus to get them out of the country

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Vanya wrote: Dr. Zhivago was set entirely in Russia, and it didn't win any acting Oscars.
Maybe yes, maybe no: the scene in which Pasha (Tom Courtenay, the only actor whose performance in Zhivago was nominated for an Oscar, by the way) is wounded during an infantry charge, and the mutiny of the Russian troops, could have taken place anywhere along the war's Eastern Front and so, technically, may be outside Russia, proper.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

StevenH wrote:I also guessed "specific heat" on the $2000 Chemistry clue. "Latent" was my second guess, but I was just throwing out types of heat that I knew!
I said "heat of fusion", which I'm counting as correct.

I like Amy. If I'm counting taping sessions correctly, this was the last game of a two-day taping session, so she has to/gets to take a break before her next game(s). I wonder when the holiday break fell in the taping schedule.

I'm really looking forward to this week's games.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

I needed the mistrial hint to pull mistral, but did anyone else get it in part from the Heart song "Mistral Wind"?

Got a bit of a Cecily Strong vibe from Julia, though if I started talking with her at a party, I might feel compelled to poke at the uptalk.

Bill Buckley went to Yale. I'm wondering how anyone knew to pick nicotine over, say, opium, without knowing its chemical structure.

Precalled but did not get Cagney & Lacey in TV Title Pairs. Got in/unalienable with help from a Doonesbury collection.

Probably this belongs in the weekly FJ poll thread, but while I haven't seen Reds, we now own it. Next time I have 3.25 hours to burn on a historical epic... Another Zhivago guess here, though I had no idea who might have been nominated (neither Omar Sharif nor Julie Christie was).
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:Bill Buckley went to Yale. I'm wondering how anyone knew to pick nicotine over, say, opium, without knowing its chemical structure.
That's part of it: opium doesn't have a specific chemical structure, unlike nicotine.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
reddpen wrote:Bill Buckley went to Yale. I'm wondering how anyone knew to pick nicotine over, say, opium, without knowing its chemical structure.
That's part of it: opium doesn't have a specific chemical structure, unlike nicotine.
How does it not have a specific chemical structure? I'm confused. Please explain chemistry to me until I understand.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
How does it not have a specific chemical structure? I'm confused. Please explain chemistry to me until I understand.
Opium's not a single chemical; it's a mixture of different chemicals called opium alkaloids (morphine, codeine, etc.).
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

I went with 'Doctor Zhivago' as well just to have something. 'Reds' just completely eluded me as it seemed more situated outside of Russia -- many scenes were in Paris and the U.S. as I recall. I do remember now that it scored the top acting honors. Yes, Julia seemed scared and nervous, but was quite the contender, imo. She could have easily won if not for a couple of incorrect answers.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

They thought the "Sorry Cory, no Jag" thing was so funny", they invited Jill back for the Decades Tourney over many (subjectively) more deserving players. Given that, it's hard to think you should really take their warning about shout-outs seriously.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:1. What was supposed to lead to zebra at $400? "Stripes" is a pretty weak TOM since, ya know, tigers have stripes too and that was almost my guess.
Anyone?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:1. What was supposed to lead to zebra at $400? "Stripes" is a pretty weak TOM since, ya know, tigers have stripes too and that was almost my guess.
Anyone?
Tiger species are all geographical. Equine species not so much (Thompson's Gazelle)
Large 5-letter US animal: moose or bison. Well, Europe doesn't have moose, so that leaves bison.

I precalled tapir for that one. My precall ability sucks.

Couldn't get Reds in 30 seconds...probably would've in a couple minutes though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)