Tuesday, April 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:I'm thinking about a new JBoard feature -- the TPHSotD (TPH Sucker of the Day). It will be awarded in one of two categories: The first person to reply to an inane "How was I supposed to know that?" that was actually quite obvious (legitimate inquiries are excepted) or the first person to try to convince him he should make a guess on FJ instead of leaving it blank.
I wanna win the TPHSotD so bad, but every time I think I have the definitive answer for him, I'm afraid it's not right, so I clam. I just don't want to be wrong!
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Dr. J wrote:
Then again, one creepy emailer left a message for me today that said, with a subject line of "blech": "I see on Jeopardy you lost weight, but too bad you added ugly glasses." Isn't it fun to be a gal and have men believe that they have the right to comment on your appearance unsolicited? Fun stuff.
I'm sure he meant to say more, Dr. J., but then his mom called him up from the basement to come help set the table for dinner.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

BADuBois wrote:I'm sure he meant to say more, Dr. J., but then his mom called him up from the basement to come help set the table for dinner.
<pressing imaginary "LIKE" button>
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dr. J wrote:I'm at that delicate age where one's eyes are starting to do stupid things like not see very well.
Some of us were like that at five.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the Monday thread, but better to be place here:
opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Don't worry, folks -- we're all winners here! (And we all got our fancy J! picture frames, so no one went home empty handed.)
But no ceramic pig?

(And I'm with several others that today (Tuesday) more than any other day in the 5 or so years I've been a boardie and watching regularly will be the toughest to root for. I think I settled on a rooting interest, but I'll be over the moon no matter the winner.)
Geez, you're upbeat. I'm going to be UNHAPPY, no matter the winner.

My rooting interest is for Stephanie. Roger's just a drive-by as far as the JBoard is concerned. Stephanie is a homegirl. Plus, she's an underdog--maybe not so much to Vijay, but definitely to Roger. I like rooting for the underdog.

But I also like Roger a lot.

You're welcome, Vijay. I probably just secured you the win.
Not to argue about Stephanie being a homegirl here, but...

Our old pal Schvatal reminded me today of a clue he had posted on the old J! Board back in 2003 …

Category — Art Terms

Clue — This Latin word — taken from Ecclesiastes — designates an object in a painting, such as an extinguished lamp, which serves as a reminder of the brevity of life and the futility of human achievement

There can be message board rooting interests that go much deeper than 2011 around here.

On the triple miss for Anne Baxter the scores were:

10800 - 15600 - 9800
10800 - 13600 - 9800 (Joan Crawford)
10800 - 13600 - 7800 (Anne Bancroft)
8800 - 13600 - 7800 ([Eve] Arden)

While Golf and others may have seen guessing happy, Vijay was not trying to ring in the first two times. He was watching the score tote and saw an opportunity to take a calculated risk (didn't work out) to close the gap knowing that even on a miss Roger could not lock the match by sweeping the final three clues.

And don't for a second think that just because Vijay was born in India that he does not know about movies. Some don't need reminder about that. Anyway, rewatching the final three clues it could be noticed that Roger was not the only one trying to get in on Sleuth, Marx Bros., or Contessa.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

MarkBarrett wrote:And don't for a second think that just because Vijay was born in India that he does not know about movies.
I can assure you that there isn't much that Vijay doesn't know about. He's also one of the best come from behind players we've seen.

This was a great contest between three very strong players. What a pleasure. My thanks, and congratulations to all three.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
"Susan… nah, they won't go THAT easy on BotD. There's just gotta be a trick to this. Oh, Alex said it's tricky, I think I did the right thing by clamming an FJ! for once." Derp.
It is never right to clam on FJ.
Well, it's never right to deliberately clam. It can be right to write nothing down because you'd rather spend the last 5 seconds thinking and, maybe, hopefully, scribbling than write something you know for sure is wrong.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BADuBois wrote:Was rooting for Dr. J all the way through... love the glasses, and I'd love you referring once again to the famed "Devil" remark.
I was disappointed Roger didn't run with that. For his second TDD, he said "You know how I roll, Alex." If only he'd thought to say, "Let's make it a true daily double, master." :twisted:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Dr. J wrote:I totally forgot about the stoppage of play! We were turned around, and I wanted to jaw with a Roger, hoping it might throw off his game. Roger is one of those guys like Colby who comes off to certain watchers as smug or arrogant, and I was fully prepared not to like him. Well, what a delight to discover that he is a total teddy bear -- just THE nicest guy. I said to him during rehearsal, "you know, Roger, I was really expecting you to be kind of an a**hole." He laughed and said, "yeah, I get that a lot!" I was terrified to play him, so having any kind of lead on him for as long as I did (not to mention Vijay!) allowed me to hold my head high. It was nice to walk away feeling like I showed just why I was there, and being blonde, funny, and able to charm the pants off of Alex weren't the only reasons.

I'll be posting more stories and pics from the taping at my Facebook fan page, so check that out if you're interested:
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieJassJeopardyChampion
Roger would make an excellent Canadian! :). (FYI, Roger, if you wanted to make that a reality, the family who lives across the street from us will be moving next month ...)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ElendilPickle wrote:
patrickd314 wrote:Vijay answered three Double Jeopardy questions (answers: Pravda, Cairo and La Prensa) in a row without "what is," and didn't get dinged!
He corrected himself quickly on the first one, and phrased the other two correctly.

Great game tonight! Dr. J, I'm sorry you couldn't hear me yelling "Vanity, Stephanie! What is vanity!" at the screen. :)
I was yelling it too, but a day late. Thanks, OBAMA!!!!! :roll:

Given the easy FJ, it wouldn't have made a difference. I guess that's a bit of a comfort. So, so, so sorry to lose Stephanie this early. But if that wasn't to be, I'm glad Roger advanced. In truth, I expected that outcome and was surprised and delighted when the match turned out to be quite a horse race, leaving the outcome in doubt right up to the end.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

lieph82 wrote:Choosing not to guess is still a guess.
[computer voice]STRANGE GAME. THE ONLY LOSING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY.[/computer voice]
JackWolfgang

Post by JackWolfgang »

lisa0012 wrote:Dr. J, awesome glasses.
UiscePreston wrote:
periwinkle wrote:Boy, would I enjoy Jeopardy! hosted by Dr. J. Yes, please!
This gets my vote. She has a fantastic Kirsten Vangsness vibe. Very geek chic.
Dr. J wrote:This comparison was popping up on Twitter last night, and as I don't watch Criminal Minds, I wasn't familiar with her. But once you wear oversized glasses, apparently the comparisons begin! For the record, I had not planned on wearing glasses, and I had only very recently acquired that pair. I brought them along as I was having trouble with my contacts scrip -- I'm at that delicate age where one's eyes are starting to do stupid things like not see very well. So I let Maggie and Robert know that I'd like to rehearse with contacts AND glasses, because my contacts didn't seem to be cutting it. The glasses were definitely better, so I went with them, despite having very lovely eye makeup obscured (sorry, Barbie!). They're fun looking, but heavy and too big, so when I do wear them, I'm constantly shoving them up my nose, in true nerd fashion! But due to their popularity last night, I may have to reach for them more often. (If I can see them on my nightstand without contacts, that is. I'm getting BLIND. Total pterodactyl bait.)
Dr. J.--

I too was thinking that the glasses made you look like Garcia from Criminal Minds, but not because they were big. It was the turquoise/aqua frames that were giving me that impression.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:I'm thinking about a new JBoard feature -- the TPHSotD (TPH Sucker of the Day). It will be awarded in one of two categories: The first person to reply to an inane "How was I supposed to know that?" that was actually quite obvious (legitimate inquiries are excepted) or the first person to try to convince him he should make a guess on FJ instead of leaving it blank. You Boardies were getting better for a while, but now seem to be backsliding. Self-restraint is the key.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
"Susan… nah, they won't go THAT easy on BotD. There's just gotta be a trick to this. Oh, Alex said it's tricky, I think I did the right thing by clamming an FJ! for once." Derp.
It is never right to clam on FJ.
Well, it's never right to deliberately clam. It can be right to write nothing down because you'd rather spend the last 5 seconds thinking and, maybe, hopefully, scribbling than write something you know for sure is wrong.
Deliberate. That one word could've saved me 3 posts and others a few more. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

GO Dr. J for getting a clue about a Cyrus! Absolutely love it when that happens and was disappointed last time no one got Cyrus the Great!

I apologize for my complete random rant! :D
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

fun game. congrats to roger, but stephanie and vijay were also outstanding. i had a good feeling about roger's chances when the CERN category showed up. (and yes, stephanie, i remember colby running the LHC category against you in the ToC. burned twice by the same accelerator! why does the higgs boson hate you?)
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

jpahk wrote:fun game. congrats to roger, but stephanie and vijay were also outstanding. i had a good feeling about roger's chances when the CERN category showed up. (and yes, stephanie, i remember colby running the LHC category against you in the ToC. burned twice by the same accelerator! why does the higgs boson hate you?)
I DON'T KNOW!!! The feeling is definitely mutual at this point :) Maybe it's because I'm such a massively quarky gal?
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

CyrusChan wrote:GO Dr. J for getting a clue about a Cyrus! Absolutely love it when that happens and was disappointed last time no one got Cyrus the Great!

I apologize for my complete random rant! :D
As I was born and raised in Chicagoland, I had better know my Cyrus McCormick!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Dr. J wrote:
jpahk wrote:fun game. congrats to roger, but stephanie and vijay were also outstanding. i had a good feeling about roger's chances when the CERN category showed up. (and yes, stephanie, i remember colby running the LHC category against you in the ToC. burned twice by the same accelerator! why does the higgs boson hate you?)
I DON'T KNOW!!! The feeling is definitely mutual at this point :) Maybe it's because I'm such a massively quarky gal?
You.. In the corner! Now! No dryers for a week! These kids and their puns, I tell ya...

Funny thing about McCormick -- before moving to Chicago, I had thought of him as a Baltimore guy, due to the spice warehouse being in the Inner Harbor, and the story that the Old Bay blend is a secret as closely held as KFC or Coca-Cola. Turns out that some of the family decided to fiddle about in media, as well. Whoda thunk it?
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

I have a kitchen full of McCormick spices, but never connected them to Cyrus! That family was busy.