Jeopardy!'s returning to GSN

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Re: Jeopardy!'s returning to GSN

Post by thejeopardyfan »

chuck5982 wrote:Her second episode aired today, her third and fourth games air Labor Day Weekend, and her fifth game and the first game of that season's College Championship the next weekend.
Did you see that on an on-screen guide or something? Do they show tournaments on GSN? Rex's episodes can't be far behind then, right?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:Her second episode aired today, her third and fourth games air Labor Day Weekend, and her fifth game and the first game of that season's College Championship the next weekend.
Did you see that on an on-screen guide or something? Do they show tournaments on GSN? Rex's episodes can't be far behind then, right?
By my calculations, the rest of the College Championship and Maria's last game take up the following five weekends (Sept. 17 through Oct. 16), then my episodes should air Oct. 22 through Nov. 5. Like ripping a Band-Aid off verrrrry slowly.

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Ken Jennings shouldn't have won his first game either.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:It's pretty crazy how things work out sometimes. Maria went on to win over $120,000, and just missed out on making the Tournament of Champions final, but she shouldn't have even made it past her first show. Joey Bland made a very poor wager, going all-in from second place, and allowing Maria to win her first game with just $6,000
Mark Dawson, Jeopardy's biggest immediate beneficiary* of any one bad wager, not only won the ToC on Brian Weikle's math error, but also survived his first regular game when the returning champ underwagered from first place on FJ.

* (I say "immediate" because bad wagers kept Brad Rutter alive in earlier rounds of M$M and the UToC.)

Tom Walsh would have lost his second game if second place had wagered properly on FJ. Sean Ryan as well (although Sean underwagered by $400, so about an eighth of all "proper" wagers available to second place wouldn't have worked). Justin Bernbach would have lost his fourth game if third place had wagered properly. The slenderest threads...
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:Ken Jennings shouldn't have won his first game either.
Is that because he only gave a last name in Final Jeopardy?

For those who have been around long enough to know, was that a common topic of discussion on the Jeopardy! board back in 2004?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:

For those who have been around long enough to know, was that a common topic of discussion on the Jeopardy! board back in 2004?
(I wasn't around then, but I liked delving into old threads now and again.) I believe Ken posted in his own defense about it, so I would guess other people had mentioned it. (He's also mentioned it on his website and in Brainiac.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

One thing I miss about the old board is the old game threads, particularly ones from before I joined the board. I liked to look at a random game on the archive and then read the thread from that game, especially if it involved some stupid wagering. Even watching the rerun game I'd go back sometimes and read a year old thread.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:One thing I miss about the old board is the old game threads, particularly ones from before I joined the board. I liked to look at a random game on the archive and then read the thread from that game, especially if it involved some stupid wagering. Even watching the rerun game I'd go back sometimes and read a year old thread.
Amen to that. I spent many hours reading old threads on the Sony board. I would love it when someone would make a reference to something notable from the show's past, such as stupid or unusual wagering, tie games, controversial question/answer rulings, player's being invited back after such rulings, etc. and I could go seek out the thread about the game in question and see people's reactions to it in "real time". The various threads on wagering strategy that emerged over the years also provided a lot of interesting reading.

I remember one particular thread where some posters were just going on and on and on about how horrible it was that this Ken Jennings guy just wouldn't lose and how he was killing the show and why would anyone want to watch anymore if they know he is going to win every night? The really crazy part was that if I remember correctly, the thread was from early June, 2004, and Ken was only like a 6 or 8 time champion at that point. Although it did appear that there were plenty of rumors swirling that he wasn't going anywhere for a long, long while.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:I remember one particular thread where some posters were just going on and on and on about how horrible it was that this Ken Jennings guy just wouldn't lose and how he was killing the show and why would anyone want to watch anymore if they know he is going to win every night? The really crazy part was that if I remember correctly, the thread was from early June, 2004, and Ken was only like a 6 or 8 time champion at that point. Although it did appear that there were plenty of rumors swirling that he wasn't going anywhere for a long, long while.
Yet others, including myself, started watching more because "he's going to lose eventually; I want to be there when he does!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't a regular watcher at the time she first aired, so today I saw Maria's fourth win, the first time I'd ever seen her. She was quite an impressive player. Looking forward to seeing Rex for the first time in a few weeks, sooner if GSN doesn't show the college tournament.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

jeff6286 wrote:

Probably because there was only one "Smith" on the 2000 US Olympic team, they let it pass.

Then again, I was surprised that "What is McKinzie?" let side for the MacKenzie River from April 2010. So what do I know?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Probably because there was only one "Smith" on the 2000 US Olympic team, they let it pass.
(Marion) Jones, actually.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

econgator wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Probably because there was only one "Smith" on the 2000 US Olympic team, they let it pass.
(Marion) Jones, actually.
Smith was her alias.
In and out of the pool four times
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Jeopardy!'s going to be on GSN every day starting Tuesday, January 3rd, but at 1 a.m. Central time.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Jeopardy!'s going to be on GSN every day starting Tuesday, January 3rd, but at 1 a.m. Central time.
Since I don't have GSN, and can't justify $75/month for one show (even if it is Jeopardy!), is there anybody recording these that would share with me, please, please, pretty please? I will gladly pay to install whatever recording equipment is necessary to ensure the highest possible quality (knowing, of course, that anything coming over cable is quite a bit lower quality than what I am used to watching these days).

Thanks

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Jeopardy!'s going to be on GSN every day starting Tuesday, January 3rd, but at 1 a.m. Central time.
The advent of DVRs has made the 'but' in your statement utterly, and thankfully, irrelevant.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

alietr wrote:The advent of DVRs has made the 'but' in your statement utterly, and thankfully, irrelevant.
Gotta love the DVR!
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

alietr wrote:
The advent of DVRs has made the 'but' in your statement utterly, and thankfully, irrelevant.
I don't know how I lived without it. It's hard for me to believe I ever set my VCR every single day for Jeopardy!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I suspect it's going to the be the 2005-06 season as they're re-rerunning on weekends at at 9AM EST, but we'll see.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That was the same season they had run at least once all the way through before they ceased their daily airings.