Jeopardy!'s returning to GSN

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Jeopardy!'s returning to GSN

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:Thanks for the history lesson Budphrey, interesting stuff there. What exactly was the issue with the FJ clue in the Bob Mesko 4-B game? (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913) I'm guessing it was that the category was "Leading Men", but some of the acting nominations over the 5 decades were for Best Supporting Actor. Had the category just been "The Oscars" or "Actors", that wouldn't have been an issue, but it still seems like a poorly written clue with some awkward wording. Inserting the words "each of" before "the last 5 decades" would have made it a bit clearer what they were asking, but I assume that the Supporting Actor issue was the reason for inviting both losing players back.
It wasn't supporting/best, it was the use of decade. While decade traditionally means the ten years starting with a zero and ending with 9, it can also refer to any 10 year period. So if you work back from 2006, Paul Newman was nominated in each of the past 5 consecutive 10 year spans.

Paul Newman:

2003 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Supporting Role for: Road to Perdition (2002).

1995 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: Nobody's Fool (1994).
1987 Won Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: The Color of Money (1986).

1983 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: The Verdict (1982).
1982 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: Absence of Malice (1981).

(No nominations during 1970-1979!)
1968 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: Cool Hand Luke (1967).

1964 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: Hud (1963).
1962 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: The Hustler (1961).
1959 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role for: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woody Allen would be a correct response to this if asked now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Budphrey wrote: I don't think the "supporting actor" variable entered into the controversy, as Nicholson and Caine were the intended correct responses — but Nicholson's only nomination in the 1960s was as supporting actor; ditto for Caine in the 1990s.
I realized that, which is why I was thinking that all 3 players were allowed back. With the category being "Leading Men", I could see someone incorrectly assuming that only Lead Actor nominations should be considered. If you go down that road, then there is no correct response to the clue, as like you mentioned, both Nicholson and Caine had a decade with no Lead Actor nominations. I guess that you guys are probably right about the decade argument, but when considering this issue already knowing that there was a controversy, it never even crossed my mind that people would consider an alternate understanding of what a decade was.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Jeff, It took me a little while for it to sink in what you were getting at regarding the "Leading men" category. I can see that might have had a slight misleading effect. I really hadn't thought of that. Interesting observation.

I don't think that by itself would have negated the clue; all the possible responses were generally known in Hollywood parlance as leading men. Still, maybe when that was heaped on top of the "decade" factor, it might very well have made the difference between the producers re-inviting just Holly and re-inviting Brian as well.

Gator -- not exactly. Woody has had Academy Award nominations spread over the decades, but only one was for acting.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Budphrey wrote:Gator -- not exactly. Woody has had Academy Award nominations spread over the decades, but only one was for acting.
Whoops. Don't know how I missed the word "acting" in there.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Sorry to be a little late, but Liz Murphy began her regular-season run today on GSN if anyone wants to follow it. (Weekdays at 10:30 a.m. Central).
oaklandfan2kx

Post by oaklandfan2kx »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Sorry to be a little late, but Liz Murphy began her regular-season run today on GSN if anyone wants to follow it. (Weekdays at 10:30 a.m. Central).
Well I Can't Wait For It
Coming Soon from JBoard.TV: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN KNOW?
Hosted by Jay Jianoran
Announced by Johnny Gilbert
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Anybody know why Jeopardy!'s not appearing on GSN this week? (Not that I can find anyway. And in the middle of Justin Bernbach's run!) :x