Jeopardy!'s returning to GSN

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy!'s returning to GSN

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:That was the same season they had run at least once all the way through before they ceased their daily airings.
My games have been on GSN twice, so I agree, show another season.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Jeopardy!'s going to be on GSN every day starting Tuesday, January 3rd, but at 1 a.m. Central time.
That makes it bedtime viewing on the West Coast!
OCSam
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Robert K S wrote:That was the same season they had run at least once all the way through before they ceased their daily airings.
My games have been on GSN twice, so I agree, show another season.
I'm hoping for Season 23. ;)
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

As an illustration of how tough the games were in season 26, I was struck by this morning's GSN rerun of one of the classic Lach Trash opportunity games of all time, and a fascinating one to analyze:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=666

I can't remember how the board responded to that game when it first aired, but I'll bet there were a lot of people wishing they had played this one. There was an amazing total of $14,800 in triple stumpers, not including the Daily Doubles -- all of which were missed. Final J! had only two participants. From the invisible fourth podium, assuming I didn't beat any of the actual contestants at the buzzer at any time, I would have finished Double J! with a modest $4000 (after adjusting for a couple of foolish wrong guesses) and won the game getting the FJ! clue that the actual contestants missed. And I can well imagine a lot of folks here would have done better.

Yet it really wasn't all that simple. All the contestants showed some flashes of expertise. Maria, the returning champ, held a lock lead for a while in the DJ! round, and nailed some pretty impressive facts. She just made a couple of bad guesses at the end and was vulnerable in FJ!. And to be truthful, this game had a lot of puzzlers, neg-bait and head-scratchers.

Goes to show the crucial roles in Jeopardy! played by luck and a judicious willingness to stay clam, especially in sustaining a win streak.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

It's David Madden's 15th episode!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm so excited I'm trying to tell him right now. (I see him on Google Chat.) I practiced his episodes from the archive when I was getting ready for the show. Maybe I'll recognize some of the clues and my Coryat will be higher. I guess I played this one before but with my Challenger: http://www.thejeopardyfan.com/2010/03/m ... mpers.html
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

So it looks like, as predicted, they're starting at the beginning of Season 22, with #4826.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

bpmod wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Jeopardy!'s going to be on GSN every day starting Tuesday, January 3rd, but at 1 a.m. Central time.
Since I don't have GSN, and can't justify $75/month for one show (even if it is Jeopardy!), is there anybody recording these that would share with me, please, please, pretty please?.
Did you get any takers on this? I am in the same situation. If you've figured out an arrangement to have these shared with you, I'd love to get in on it. If you're sharing costs, I'd be happy to do so as well.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
bpmod wrote:Since I don't have GSN, and can't justify $75/month for one show (even if it is Jeopardy!), is there anybody recording these that would share with me, please, please, pretty please?.
Did you get any takers on this? I am in the same situation. If you've figured out an arrangement to have these shared with you, I'd love to get in on it. If you're sharing costs, I'd be happy to do so as well.
No. Never did. But I coincidentally found some of my saved PM's from the old board today, and contained within was an offer from a very current boardie. I will check with her to see if the offer still stands.

Edit: I also have just about everything from this era; it is the earlier stuff I am more concerned about.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

alietr, did you know your episode aired this morning? Congratulations! :)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=694
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

And last SUnday they aired the 1/2/2006 episode. Take a look at the first round categories in that one.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=690
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

thejeopardyfan wrote:alietr, did you know your episode aired this morning? Congratulations! :)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=694
Argh. Given the season they're showing, I knew it would be on, but I hadn't started checking yet thinking it would be a while. We haven't gotten married yet, but she's got her ring and she's happy and we'll get around to it eventually. We're still finishing up redoing the house, and that's the priority at this point. Damn crustaceans! When we had the viewing party, my boss brought over a bottle of Crustacean Beer for me. Grrrr.
legendneverdies wrote:And last SUnday they aired the 1/2/2006 episode. Take a look at the first round categories in that one.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=690
And that was the game that set me on my path to face Kavanaugh. He got an amazing sequence of luck to win that one that was just astonishing to watch from the stands. With time running out, Joan has a lock with $13,200, Tom has $6,000, and Jamie has $5,600. Jamie hits the DD, wagers $3,000, gets it right, and time runs out. Joan's lock is broken, and her shutout bet (which she nonetheless overwagered on) is enough for Tom to win on his single get. And I did not want to face Tom. Sigh.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I normally FF through interviews, but this morning happened to watch "live" and saw the proposal. Had no idea that was you! How sweet was that?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I used to have a link to a site that had GSN's schedule, but it was detailed enough to tell you which episode was going to be shown (which I could then cross reference with the archive to see who would be on). Another item lost with the Sony board. Could someone post the link, please?
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

alietr wrote:I used to have a link to a site that had GSN's schedule, but it was detailed enough to tell you which episode was going to be shown (which I could then cross reference with the archive to see who would be on). Another item lost with the Sony board. Could someone post the link, please?
Here's the GSN Schedule Page, but it seems that the show links only point to the main GSN Jeopardy! page. (Though it could be due to all the Javascript I'm blocking).

No original air dates or show numbers on TitanTV either.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Down at the bottom right-hand side of the page on http://buzzerblog.com.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote:Down at the bottom right-hand side of the page on http://buzzerblog.com.
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I thought Buzzerblog sounded familiar, but I wasn't seeing it way down there and was concerned I was going to get spoiled given their content. Interestingly enough, the weekdays are following one sequence, and the weekends are following a different one. So maybe it will come up again in the weekday order, but who knows?
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Bob Mesko's "original" fourth game was repeated this morning. Of course it inspired a mix of nostalgia, melancholy and serenity, for reasons I have mentioned many times over the past few years.

To de-mystify: This is one of those vagaries that make the game of Jeopardy! as rich as it is. The final Daily Double clue, on which Bob negged, was later revealed to be so badly researched that it had no correct response. Because this mistake by the writers directly impacted his chance to win the game, Bob was justly invited to compete a few months later, and won his "second" fourth game. The fascinating thing is, the wording of Final J! in this game was also debatable enough that both of Bob's opponents were later invited to compete again. At any rate, by virtue of this second-chance win, Bob went on to compete in the Tournament of Champions. I have never seen it mentioned by any of our diligent archivists that anyone else ever competed in the ToC after participating in not just one, but two disputed games.

The effect on me? Bob's fourth win was one of about a dozen factors I have identified that were crucial in preventing me from competing in that same tournament. (A few of those factors were under my control; most were not.) Had Bob not been invited back (or had he not subsequently won in connection with another flawed clue), I would have been the lowest-qualifying ToC contestant ever. So I would have been in the middle of a unique bit of Jeopardy! history either way. I may not have got into the tournament, but I sure have the story to tell. :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Thanks for the history lesson Budphrey, interesting stuff there. What exactly was the issue with the FJ clue in the Bob Mesko 4-B game? (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913) I'm guessing it was that the category was "Leading Men", but some of the acting nominations over the 5 decades were for Best Supporting Actor. Had the category just been "The Oscars" or "Actors", that wouldn't have been an issue, but it still seems like a poorly written clue with some awkward wording. Inserting the words "each of" before "the last 5 decades" would have made it a bit clearer what they were asking, but I assume that the Supporting Actor issue was the reason for inviting both losing players back.

In the old days on the official Sony board did the show ever make announcements about players being invited back over issues like this? I know they posted messages at least occasionally, such as after Jeff Kirby's second appearance, and also after the Mali/Malawi FJ clue, where there were actually 3 correct answers but they only named 2 on the show. Did they do this pretty frequently, or would a previous player just pop up on the show from time to time with little or no explanation?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:In the old days on the official Sony board did the show ever make announcements about players being invited back over issues like this? I know they posted messages at least occasionally, such as after Jeff Kirby's second appearance, and also after the Mali/Malawi FJ clue, where there were actually 3 correct answers but they only named 2 on the show. Did they do this pretty frequently, or would a previous player just pop up on the show from time to time with little or no explanation?
No, when a previous player came back, there was always an explanation on the show (the only player that didn't appear without any comment whatsoever a second time is, of course, Jeff Kirby), but it's usually Alex saying that "there was an issue with a clue that cost him the game" or something vague, never specific. I don't think TPTB ever went into specifics on the board when a player was brought back but, as you point out, it happens so rarely ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

jeff6286 wrote:What exactly was the issue with the FJ clue in the Bob Mesko 4-B game? (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=913) I'm guessing it was that the category was "Leading Men", but some of the acting nominations over the 5 decades were for Best Supporting Actor.
dhkendall is right -- as I remember, no specific reason was ever officially given. The chatter on the Board at the time centered on the definition of "last five consecutive decades"; did it mean 1960s, 1970s, etc., or (considering this show aired a few months after the 2006 Academy Awards show) did it mean 1957-1966, 1967-1976, etc.? Jack Nicholson and Michael Caine would have been the only correct responses according to the former interpretation, but Paul Newman would have been allowable under the latter one.

I don't think the "supporting actor" variable entered into the controversy, as Nicholson and Caine were the intended correct responses — but Nicholson's only nomination in the 1960s was as supporting actor; ditto for Caine in the 1990s.

Less clear is why both Brian Lamb and Holly Owens were invited back; they both gave Newman as a response, but Holly was in first place at the end of Double J! and, with her wager, would clearly have won if Newman were allowed as a correct response. Perhaps they just decided the whole thing was a mess and it would be cleanest to let everyone play another game. If I were in Brian's shoes, I sure wouldn't have turned it down.