Wednesday, April 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

I googled "explorers named Perry" and there is a Dillon Perry who is a member of the Boy Scouts.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Easy Final Jeopardy
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

sarah0114 wrote:Boy, Jeopardy! likes Minneapolis all of a sudden.
'Cept that neither item in the clue is in Minneapolis :D
Sage on the Hudson

The buck stopped there

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

naurae29 wrote:Fun facts: Chief Justice Roberts clerked for then-Associate Justice Rehnquist, who in turn clerked for Justice Jackson.
Roberts apparently learned everything from Rehnquist, who learned nothing from Jackson.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I liked Ed's play throughout, but missing FJ was fatal. Instaget for me -- Homerdome never occurred to me as an option. And plenty of Lach trash, too: Peary, lycanthropy, Wimsey, kerosene and UNM. And, yes, that Penelope Cruz clue was confusing and juvenile.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

IMHO, I think Salma Hayek when I think "Spanish chest". Oh, wait, she's Mexican. That's the kind of distraction that cost me that clue!
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Derrick is the third "Compliance" professional to win Jeopardy! in the past 4 weeks. Arthur was the first and Nick Durazo was the second.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I can never keep Peary, Perry, and Byrd straight (same thing for Aztecs, Mayans, Incas).
Is there a Perry? Don't forget Amundsen and Scott!
There were apparently two different commodores named Perry but neither one has anything to do with the poles, so maybe that will help (or not). I'll try to remember the "Byrd flew" clue for future reference.
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

Eventually got FJ from Minnesota connection, since I didn't narrow it down to a city. But since I've spent a lot of time in hospitals recently since my mother was very sick, and for breaks I would walk the halls of the hospital, I first thought of the Clinic itself. I figured that the Mayo Clinic was probably much larger than the hospital my mom was in, so one could possibly walk pretty far there. That's the type of thing I normally get very stuck on, but fortunately having the Clinic name in the clue meant that the answer could not be the Clinic, so I had to get un-stuck.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

aeq5006 wrote:Does anyone else object to "idiom" being used as a synonym for "slang"?
I guess not, since it completely went over my head. However, I do object to spelling "thou" "though."
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Linear Gnome wrote:One of the members of my party ended up with lycanthropy after our very first campaign (I guess this would have been in about 1985 or 1986), so I got that Lach trash quickly (also got Wimsey, Nuremberg and kerosene). Added later: I lived in Albuquerque for four years so UNM was an instaget.
I got all that trash as well.

My second daughter graduated from UNM last year; we were both yelling at the screen. :)

Instaget FJ since I couldn't think of another large structure in Minnesota that fit the clue.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

aeq5006 wrote:Does anyone else object to "idiom" being used as a synonym for "slang"?
Thank you! This is exactly the sort of measured query that reeks of reasonability and encourages community members to engage!

I think some slang is indeed idiomatic; some isn't. Therefore it would depend on the context to determine whether something is correctly described as one or both. The relevant M-W def. for

IDIOM: an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its separate words but that has a separate meaning of its own

SLANG: words that are not considered part of the standard vocabulary of a language and that are used very informally in speech especially by a particular group of people

It sounds like since most of the words are standard vocab then they wouldn't necessarily be slang.

SPORTS LINGO would have been a better title, but IDIOM works.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

El Jefe wrote:
IDIOM: an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its separate words but that has a separate meaning of its own
SPORTS LINGO would have been a better title, but IDIOM works.
"Monday morning quarterback" and "throw in the towel" are straight-up idioms, no?
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

naurae29 wrote:"Monday morning quarterback" and "throw in the towel" are straight-up idioms, no?
Monday morning quarterback doesn't strike me as idiomatic. Yes, it's figurative. But the parts still inform on the meaning. And that meaning is related to the original one.
It is more of a metaphorical extension - like calling someone "the X police". Obviously the person in question (if not an actual cop) is behaving with attributes similar to the profession, but distinguished from it by criterion X. A Monday morning quarterback is behaving like said profession by making play calls with, in this case, the criterion hindsight.

And throw in the towel is idiomatic only if there is surrender/forfeiture but no towel involved. In Boxing, Lou Duva at 91 could literally throw in the towel to stop a match. So there are still instances of literal usage with the same meaning.

The rest of the category wasn't particularly idiom-related either. My vote is for "bad category name" here.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

UiscePreston wrote:
naurae29 wrote:"Monday morning quarterback" and "throw in the towel" are straight-up idioms, no?
Monday morning quarterback doesn't strike me as idiomatic. Yes, it's figurative. But the parts still inform on the meaning. And that meaning is related to the original one.
It is more of a metaphorical extension - like calling someone "the X police". Obviously the person in question (if not an actual cop) is behaving with attributes similar to the profession, but distinguished from it by criterion X. A Monday morning quarterback is behaving like said profession by making play calls with, in this case, the criterion hindsight.

And throw in the towel is idiomatic only if there is surrender/forfeiture but no towel involved. In Boxing, Lou Duva at 91 could literally throw in the towel to stop a match. So there are still instances of literal usage with the same meaning.
I agree with naurae29 that they're both idioms. They're set phrases, and the meaning isn't deducible from the individual words (except in rare cases where we are literally referring to someone who is a quarterback on Monday mornings, or to the act of tossing a towel into something else). The fact that the etymology is fairly clear doesn't make them any less idiomatic than phrases whose origins are more fanciful or have been obscured by time.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Lach trash: Wimsey, lycanthropy, Nuremburg trials.

Got Mall of America pretty quickly, thought about whether it was right since Mall of America isn't in Rochester (not that I knew what city it was in), decided it was close enough and went with it.

I liked Sandie's cheery positivity and doggedness (and her accent) and was rooting for her. Glad she won. (haven't watched the rest of the week yet to see how she did afterwards.)
Alex's comment to her that "You go to the movies a lot" kind of annoyed me -- she may have studied Oscar winners, or she may go a lot, or she may have a good memory for pop culture she's read about. It sounded like a criticism. But it was probably just meant as chat.
EdHagar
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by EdHagar »

I came in 2nd that day, and I can tell you that I knew the Mayo Clinic is in Minnesota, but the 10k made me think of sports, like maybe the Vikings having a charity run inside the stadium. We taped it in December, so I'm not sure it had been torn down by then.

I think I had faster buzzer speed but Sandie knows more than I do, so I was consistently surprised at the breaks to still be in the lead. It was awesome just being on the show, being part of a 30-year tradition with Alex hosting. I posted a "I Lost on Jeopardy" video on my Facebook page--thanks Weird Al!