Tuesday, April 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6817, 2014-04-15

CONTESTANTS
J.D. Lape, a digital marketer from Corona, California
Jennie Crabbe, a copy editor from Ballwin, Missouri
Sandie Baker, a translation coordinator from Eastpointe, Michigan (whose 4-day cash winnings total $95,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Wow, indeed. That's what Sandie just mouthed a few moments ago. But she's been excellent as a contestant on our program, snd that's bad news for Jennie and for J.D. It depends primarily on the categories. So let's find out what they are in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? We hope these will help all of you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SEA WORTHY MOVIES (5/5)
MEDALS & DECORATIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHARLES DICKENS (3/5)
FACTS ABOUT FIGURES (5/5)
BIG CITY MAYORS (5/5) (We want you to name the city for us.)
"ITS" AT THE END (5/5) (Those three letters at the end of each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sandie: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jennie: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
J.D.: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sandie: $3,200
Jennie: $2,800
J.D.: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm sure you've all noticed that the first player we introduced on the program today, J.D. Lape, is wearing suspenders not as a fashion statement, but for another excellent reason. Tell us.

J.D.: Right. To honor my late father. He passed away about two years ago, and I wore it to the audition site, ended up making it, so got a little piece of him here with me today.

Alex: Okay. It's good luck for you, too.

J.D.: Thank you.

Alex: All right, Jennie Crabbe from Ballwin, Missouri. A copy editor who got into the newspaper business on a lark. How did it happen?

Jennie: [ Chuckles ] Well, when I went to college, I wanted to be the next Stephen King, a rich, famous novelist. But I found out that you could get paid to know how to spell by working at newspapers, so I decided to go that route instead.

Alex: And you've been at it now for about 20 years.

Jennie: 20 years, yes.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex: Sandie Baker is our champion, coordinates quarterly blood drives. How's it going with that? Are people still as generous when it comes to donating blood as they --we don't hear about it so much these days.

Sandie: Yeah, not quite. We used to have a much better turnout, but, you know, I just keep plugging away because what the Red Cross people keep telling me is that as long as I can get somebody, anybody, to come in and donate, that's better than nobody, and they --especially, like, around holiday times and times like that, when they run really low because people are just so busy, and they don't get in to donate. That's when we really need to do that.

Alex: You still give cookies and juice after it?

Sandie: Yes, they do.

Alex:Uh-huh. Okay, good. Well, put me down.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sandie found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Sandie had $5,000, Jennie had $3,400, and J.D. was at $1,000. Sandie wagered $1,500.

MEDALS & DECORATIONS $1000: In 1964 Egypt instituted a special friendship medal for those who helped in the construction of this project

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHARLES DICKENS $600: Profession of Ellen Ternan, with whom Dickens became infatuated in 1857 when he was 45 & she, 18

CHARLES DICKENS $1000: Charles met this "Moonstone" author & writing partner through a man named Augustus Egg

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sandie: $8,700
Jennie: $5,600
J.D.: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ORGANIZATIONS (4/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
TRUE "NORTH" (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SONG OF THE SOUTH (4/5)
THE FAR EAST (3/5)
THE OLD WEST (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sandie: 12 R, 0 W
J.D.: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jennie: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennie snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sandie had $10,700, Jennie had $8,400, and J.D. was at $2,000. Jennie wagered $3,000.

TRUE "NORTH" $2000: This landmark took its place in American history on April 18, 1775
(Jennie: [long pause] What is, North America I don't know?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was J.D. who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Sandie had $19,500, Jennie had $7,000, and J.D. was at $3,200. J.D. wagered $3,000.

THE OLD WEST $1600: The Wild Bunch's Harry Longabaugh took this nickname from the name of the town where he was imprisoned for horse theft

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE FAR EAST $1600: The lowest point for North & South Korea is at this "national" body of water

THE FAR EAST $2000: In the Lao language the name of this Laotian capital means "city of sandalwood"

SONG OF THE SOUTH $2000: In "Boondocks" Little Big Town sings, "You get a line, I'll get a pole, we'll go 'fishin' in" this type of hole

THE OLD WEST $400: More common name for the Central Overland Calif. & Pikes Peak Express Co., which used a steamer to go from Sacramento to S.F.
(J.D.: What is Union Pacific?)

THE OLD WEST $2000: No Doolin around, it's the last name of outlaws Bob, Grat & Emmett, whose 1892 dual-bank heist left Bob & Grat breathless

ORGANIZATIONS $800: This club that uses the slogan "We Serve" is "feline" good about fighting blindness
(Jennie: What is the Sierra Club?)
(Alex: Important word in the clue - the writers got cutesy, putting in feline - [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sandie: $21,100 (lock game)
Jennie: $9,400
J.D.: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ANCIENT WONDERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Sandie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,299 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jennie: Wager $3,801 to cover J.D..
J.D.: Risk between $0 and $1,000, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Far apart alphabetically, they're the 2 deities in the names of the 7 ancient wonders

FINAL SCORES
J.D.: $6,600 - $6,600 = $0 (Who are Zeus and Apollo?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jennie: $9,400 - $3,805 = $5,595 (Who are Appolo and Zeus) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sandie: $21,100 - $1,100 = $20,000 (Who are Apollo & [Zoroaster scribbled out thoroughly] Zeus?) (5-day champion: $115,200)
(Alex [after J.D.'s reveal]: Zeus, of course is the easy one, but the Apollo is incorrect.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sandie: $20,600, 23 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jennie: $12,400, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
J.D.: $5,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Sandie: 23/59 = .390
Jennie: 15/59 = .254
J.D.: 13/59 = .220
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SEA WORTHY MOVIES $400: The pirates in this 2013 film based on true events are not the jolly yo-ho-ho kind.

BIG CITY MAYORS $800: Overseas - Boris Johnson, who has been promoting one mode of transport

FACTS ABOUT FIGURES $400: As seen here, red figure pottery flourished in this country from the 6th to the 4th century B.C.

FACTS ABOUT FIGURES $1000: The official figures for the USA's gross domestic product come from this cabinet department
(J.D.: What is Treasury?)

TRUE "NORTH" $1200: This 1994 pact called for gradual tariff reduction for its 3 members--sorry, you can't use the short form of it!
(J.D.: What is the North American Free Trade Act?)

10-LETTER WORDS $2000: This type of decorative glass gets its name from Italian for "thousand flowers"
[Sandie's pronunciation is something like mill-yay-fee-or-ay]
(Alex: [*], yes, you got close enough.)[audience laughs]

SONG OF THE SOUTH $800: A No. 1 pop hit in 1960, it became an official state song in 1979

ORGANIZATIONS $400: This couple has a foundation that works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives

ORGANIZATIONS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands near a sign labeled "Delancey Street Christmas Trees" in San Francisco, California.) Delancey Street, the country's leading residential self-help organization, empowers the poor, substance abusers, and former felons. It's been helped by politicians like this former San Francisco mayor, now a US senator

ORGANIZATIONS $2000: Seen here is the logo of this fraternal organization's hospitals for children

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Aswan Dam
actress
Wilkie Collins
the Old North Church
the Sundance Kid
the Sea of Japan
Vientiane
in the crawfish hole
the Pony Express
Dalton
the Lions Club
Zeus and Artemis
Captain Phillips
London
Greece
Commerce
the North American Free Trade Agreement
millefiori
"Georgia On My Mind"
Bill and Melinda Gates
Dianne Feinstein
Shriners
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Ancient Wonders
Far apart alphabetically, they're the 2 deities in the names of the 7 Ancient Wonders.

Spoiler
What are Artemis and Zeus? All 3 players said Zeus and Apollo.

Sandie Baker: $21,100-$1,100=$20,000...now a 5-day champion with $115,200
Jennie Crabbe: $9,400-$3,805
J.D. Lape: $6,600-$6,600=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got excited when he kept negging Apollo during FJ, but then my joy was crushed when Aphrodite wasn't right, either.

Congrats on the fifth win and a ticket to the TOC, Sandie!!!!!

Enjoyed seeing three people close to my age on the show along with two Alabama references.

Another useless all in bet from third costs someone $1,000.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Welllllllp... I've heard about it happening to others, and now it's finally happening to me. WTVD is airing last night's show right now. :lol:

EDIT: They fixed it after the first commercial break... but still, now my score is incomplete until I can see the first segment. :(
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Mayors. Still don't see why you need to know them.

What led to Greece on Figures for $400?

Precalled Alabama/Song of the South. "Ramblin' Man" was my only miss since I was still stuck on "south" themed song titles and the only Allman Brothers song I could think of was "Whipping Post". Admittedly, I had to quickly sing through the coda of "Boondocks" to get to "crawfish hole" since I haven't heard the song in a long time. (That part goes on forever on the album version. Mercifully, they cut it down on the radio edit.)

What led to Pony Express on West for $400?

"Hmm. Are there any deities beginning with Z? … … … … … … … … Ah, can't think of any. Y? X? W? V? U? T? Nope, still nothing."
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Athena and Zeus on FJ for me.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "Sea of Japan", "Vientiane", "crawfish", "Pony Express"

Didn't get FJ. I got Zeus but not Artemis.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I was amused by Admiral Byrd coming up. There was recently a conversation on these boards about keeping polar explorers straight, and the mnemonic that the guy who flew over the pole was Byrd.

I'm betting that I was one of many, many people who got Zeus but not Artemis. For the "A", I wrote down Apollo, being worried that the correct answer might actually be Athena.

I suppose if I'm going to be wrong, I'd prefer the correct answer *not* to be my second choice that I almost went with.

During the commercial break, I tried to recall as many of the seven Ancient Wonders as I could, and I came up with four of them.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Mayors. Still don't see why you need to know them.
Because they sometimes come up on Jeopardy!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I knew Artemis, since my cat is named that. (She's actually named after Art Fleming, but names evolve.) Was sure enough of Zeus to guess, but not 100% certain. Glad I was right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

skullturf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Mayors. Still don't see why you need to know them.
Because they sometimes come up on Jeopardy!
As I've said before, though, even the stuff I don't know, I get some sense of "gain" from it — even if I can't remember it after the 15th time it comes up. I just don't get any "gain" from mayors, since they just seem far lower down on the totem pole to me than, say, US presidents, governors, secretaries of state, etc.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Sandie's win tonight knocks Mike Lewis out of TofC contention, leaving Mark Japinga as the only four time winner still in the running. The alternate last night, she's now in the seventh spot among non-College or Teacher tourney qualifiers.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I loved this FJ clue. I got it in 15-20 seconds, but if I had been playing the game for real then I might have blanked.

Speaking of blanking, "Old North Church" was on the tip of my tongue on the DD but I couldn't pull it. The closest that I was able to get was "Church of the North."
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

skullturf wrote:I was amused by Admiral Byrd coming up. There was recently a conversation on these boards about keeping polar explorers straight, and the mnemonic that the guy who flew over the pole was Byrd.
I was the one who mentioned that mnemonic and I legit bounced up and down in my seat when I saw the clue!

Couldn't remember what came before "Drood" in the Dickens title. Apparently, I'm more familiar with the musical than with the novel.

Also went Apollo & Zeus.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Was the song category easy? I normally get 0 and I did get 0

another Apollo here.

Where is the toc standing thread?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

doihavetoreally wrote:Was the song category easy? I normally get 0 and I did get 0
I thought the first four were, at least.

$400: Old standard whose title is a synonym for the South
$800: Ray Charles song that's someone's state song
$1200: Band named for a state. Only two I can think of are Kansas and Alabama, and the former is not a Southern state.
$1600: Blah blah blah Allman brothers. "Ramblin' Man" is famous enough to get name-dropped in other songs, and it's by far their most famous hit.

$2000 is the only one I thought that was tough. Little Big Town was still a fairly obscure act on a small indie label when they had a hit with that song, and it was only recently that they got any form of buzz (notably the Grammy win for "Pontoon" in 2012).
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Granted, 'crawdad' and 'crawfish/crayfish' are usually interchangeable, but the Woody Guthrie classic from 1944 (which I gather had been and continued to be in loose oral tradition/repository without a specific author) says crawdad. Even though dozens of different artists have recorded it over the years, I have never heard the song sung with anything but 'crawdad.' It's called THE CRAWDAD SONG, for cryin' out loud!

ETA: why oh why reference a 2005 issuance of that line? Just to get in a for-sure-Southern reference? Tsk tsk...
Last edited by El Jefe on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: $1200: Band named for a state. Only two I can think of are Kansas and Alabama, and the former is not a Southern state.
First one that came to mind to me was Florida-Georgia Line, but that's two states. (I thought of it mainly because they were mentioned in the commercial break before the game started.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Was the song category easy? I normally get 0 and I did get 0
I thought the first four were, at least.

$400: Old standard whose title is a synonym for the South
$800: Ray Charles song that's someone's state song
$1200: Band named for a state. Only two I can think of are Kansas and Alabama, and the former is not a Southern state.
$1600: Blah blah blah Allman brothers. "Ramblin' Man" is famous enough to get name-dropped in other songs, and it's by far their most famous hit.

$2000 is the only one I thought that was tough. Little Big Town was still a fairly obscure act on a small indie label when they had a hit with that song, and it was only recently that they got any form of buzz (notably the Grammy win for "Pontoon" in 2012).
thanks tph...sure have a long way to go on songs
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!