Wednesday, April 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6818, 2014-04-16

CONTESTANTS
Kathryn Schoenberger, a communications associate from Washington, D.C.
Matt Farr, an associate director of annual giving from Lookout Mountain, Tennessee
Sandie Baker, a translation coordinator from Eastpointe, Michigan (whose 5-day cash winnings total $115,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. If you've been watching our program for the past week or so, then you've been impressed by Sandie's performance --averaging over $20,000 per win, just cruising along very nicely. But Kathryn and Matt have some opinions as to when her reign should end. Maybe today? Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. Categories, please, for the first round of play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WE HAVE LAWS (4/5)
PUP CULTURE (5/5)
THAT'S PAINFUL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IOWA (4/5)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
THE "END" IS JUST THE BEGINNING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sandie: 15 R, 1 W
Kathryn: 6 R (including 3 rebounds), 0 W
Matt: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sandie: $4,400
Kathryn: $2,600
Matt: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kathryn Schoenberger is from Washington, D.C. She's a communications associate who spent some time studying abroad.

Kathryn: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Where?

Kathryn: During undergrad, I studied in Italy, and in grad school, I did an internship in Brussels over the summer.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex: Matt Farr is from Lookout Mountain, Tennessee. Man is afraid of sharks, as are most people, but you perhaps carry it to an extreme?

Matt: My friends and family think it's an extreme. I won't even wade past my ankles in the ocean.

Alex: In the ocean?

Matt: In the ocean.

Alex: Not even past your ankles? Even though the odds of being attacked by a shark are less than being struck by lightning?

Matt: But they're still odds, so I'll remove myself from the equation.

Alex: [laughing] Okay.

Alex: All right, Sandie Baker is our champion. Her husband was in the Navy, and you did some work for the Air Force, right?

Sandie: Yes I did. For most of the time that I was in, I was working in the radar shop; we worked on the C-141 cargo planes, and that was quite a job.

Alex: Is that the Hercules?

Sandie: No, that would be C-130. The C-141 was the Starlifter.

Alex: Ah, okay.

Sandie: And they actually don't even have them anymore. They have since been replaced by the C-17.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Sandie had $5,600, Matt had $1,000, and Kathryn was at $3,400. Matt made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

THAT'S PAINFUL $800: This autoimmune disease in which certain cells attack the joint cartilage is called R.A. for short

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WE HAVE LAWS $400: Rhode Island warns that biting off someone's leg will get you 1 to 20 as this offense, a variation of the word "maim"

IOWA $1000: Buddy Holly & friends perished near this Iowa city named for a beautiful body of water

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sandie: $7,800
Kathryn: $4,600
Matt: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A FARSI LEXICON (5/5)
AL PACINO MOVIES BY ROLE (4/5)
AMERICAN AUTHORS (3/5)
FORMER U.N. MEMBERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BREAD (5/5)
THE STAFF OF LIFE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Talking about the magazine.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sandie: 14 R (including 4 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Matt: 6 R, 2 W
Kathryn: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sandie snagged the next Daily Double on the 24th clue. Sandie had $16,600, Matt had $5,800, and Kathryn was at $6,200. Sandie wagered $3,000.

FORMER U.N. MEMBERS $1200: In 1971 this island nation was expelled from the U.N. & replaced by its mainland adversary

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sandie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Sandie had $22,400, Matt had $4,600, and Kathryn was at $5,800. Sandie wagered $2,000.

THE STAFF OF LIFE $1200: Alfred Eisenstaedt photographed the Cuban fishing village that inspired this 1952 novel first published in "Life"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN AUTHORS $1200: Research for his novel "Sophie's Choice" included a reading of the memoirs of the commandant of Auschwitz

AMERICAN AUTHORS $2000: This Texan won the 2006 Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for "Brokeback Mountain"

AL PACINO MOVIES BY ROLE $2000: Det. Frank Keller, tracking a serial killer placing personal ads
(Sandie: What is Cruising?)
(Kathryn: What is Heat?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sandie: $26,000 (lock game)
Kathryn: $5,800
Matt: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Sandie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $14,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kathryn: Wager $3,401 to cover Matt.
Matt: Risk between $1,201 and $2,200, covering Kathryn's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Crystal Blue Persuasion" by Tommy James & the Shondells was heard in this drama's "Gliding Over All" episode

FINAL SCORES
Matt: $4,600 - $4,600 = $0 (What is The Sopranos? Sopranos?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kathryn: $5,800 - $3,400 = $2,400 (What is Touched by an Angel?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sandie: $26,000 - $1,000 = $25,000 (What is) (6-day champion: $140,200)
(Alex: [revealing Sandie's response] Unable to come up with the highly acclaimed series [*], in which they made crystal meth. The blue crystal meth.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sandie: $23,400, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Kathryn: $5,800, 13 R, 4 W
Matt: $4,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sandie: 29/60 = .483
Kathryn: 13/58 = .224
Matt: 13/59 = .220
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PUP CULTURE $800: This John Grogan bestseller is subtitled "Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog"
(Sandie: What is Marley?)

WE HAVE LAWS $800: Louisiana law bans cursing these people, volunteer or not, in the performance of their duties
(Matt: Who are policemen?)

POTPOURRI $800: This fish with a directional name is found in the Great Lakes

THE "END" IS JUST THE BEGINNING $400: (Back of the) check, please! It also means to approve
(Sandie: What is [*]ment...or [*]--what is [*]?)
(Alex: [*], that's it.)

THAT'S PAINFUL $1000: A chronic inflammatory disease of the digestive tract, it's also known as regional enteritis
(Matt: What is colitis?)

A FARSI LEXICON $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew displays two Farsi words on the monitor.) Both ending in the equivalent of "M" are the words "Islam" & this, one of the religious titles of Ayatollah Khomeini

AL PACINO MOVIES BY ROLE $1200: Mobster Big Boy Caprice
(Kathryn: What is Scarface?)

BREAD $400: Broke bread? In 2012 Hostess stopped making this iconic squishy white loaf
(Matt: What is the Twinkie?)

FORMER U.N. MEMBERS $2000: This country at the southern tip of the Arabian peninsula was once 2 member nations, North & South
Kathryn: What is Oman?)

FORMER U.N. MEMBERS $1600: Known together as the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Montenegro & this country became separate members
(Matt: What is Albania?)

THE STAFF OF LIFE $400: Hank Walker captured these two men sharing a reflective moment in a Los Angeles hotel suite in 1960

THE STAFF OF LIFE $2000: Robert Capa's classic war photographs include "Falling Soldier", taken in 1936 during this conflict
(Kathryn: What is...World War II?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
rheumatoid arthritis
mayhem
Clear Lake
Taiwan
The Old Man and the Sea
William Styron
Larry McMurtry
Sea of Love
Breaking Bad
Marley & Me
firemen
northern pike
endorse
Crohn's disease
imam
Dick Tracy
Wonder Bread
Yemen
Serbia
RFK & JFK
the Spanish Civil War
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TV Music
"Crystal Blue Persuasion" by Tommy James & the Shondells was heard in this drama's "Gliding Over All" episode.

Spoiler
What is Breaking Bad? Matt said The Sopranos; Kathryn said Touched by an Angel; Sandie had no guess.

Sandie Baker: $26,000-$1,000=$25,000...now a 6-day champion with $140,200
Kathryn Schoenberger: $5,800-$3,400=$2,400
Matt Farr: $4,600-$4,600=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benzylic
Contributor

Post by benzylic »

Almost an insta-get FJ! My first thought were shows that had water as a major theme like Lost, then I read the crystal blue part again and went "Oh, duh! Breaking Bad."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Saw no way to figure out doorknobs on Law for $600. "Lever" had me thinking "light switch" and the big rocker-style light switches in my house.

Wegman cost me the run in Pup. NHOI.

Also saw no way to figure out "seven" on Iowa for $400.

Friday = mosque? Huh?

NHO any of those five Pacino movies.

DJ! went almost entirely over my head. Got only $400 in Authors and Bread, and $800 in Life.

"You know, that would be incredibly clever on a meta level if the FJ! were about the Think! music."

No guess on FJ! Crystal meth comes in blue? The TOM, if you can even call it that, meant nothing to me, and I actually know that Breaking Bad is about meth.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

My husband's precall was that they would say, "This is the theme song from THIS popular television game show" then just start the Think Music. Surprise, surprise, that was not the clue.

EDIT: Apparently my husband is TPH.
Last edited by sarah0114 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Kathryn had some game, but her silly guesses on high dollar clues and continuing to go to the tops of categories were her undoing. At least Matt kept going towards the bottom of the board, but then in FJ casually threw away $1k. No big deal, it's only money.

Isn't it absolutely hilarious when there's one category and a DD left, and a contestant goes to the top?

The champ continues to show solid knowledge. Not too keen on the level of competition she's facing, but all you can do is crush who they put in front of you.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Instaget FJ, but actually got it more off the episode name. I might have had a knee jerk reaction and said Mad Men otherwise, as a show that used period music.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Sandie just keeps rolling along. What a great player!

Picked up Lach trash: "Clear Lake", "William Styron"

Didn't get FJ. I'm familiar with the song "Crystal Blue Persuasion" but I've never watched "Breaking Bad."
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Anyone else neg with E. Annie Proulx for the Larry McMurtry clue? I checked and she did write the short story, just not the screenplay. Surprised that Styron was a TS.

Instaget FJ, without ever having seen Breaking Bad (or done meth).
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Got FJ... but after the time ran out. "Let's see... 'crystal blue', 60s song, probably talking about drugs, OH IT'S BREAKING BAD :("
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

esrever wrote:
Didn't get FJ. I'm familiar with the song "Crystal Blue Persuasion" but I've never watched "Breaking Bad."
highly recommend it
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a pretty enjoyable board.

I also picked up the Lach trash on William Styron, but I said Annie Proulx for the bottom clue in that category.

Remembering the FJ from Claudia Perry's quarterfinal ToC game helped on the "Taiwan" DD.

FJ was an instant get. Breaking Bad is one of the few television shows that I have actually watched. I was surprised that this FJ was a triple stumper; I wouldn't have necessarily expected a triple get, but I would have predicted 2/3.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Haven't seen the show live in a while, so I'm glad I was able to watch. Sandie's a great champion, and it showed tonight.

Instaget FJ. Almost went with Mad Men, but the "crystal blue persuasion" line changed my answer.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Re Clear Lake, There's an annual 4 day weekend of memorial concerts and associated events hosted at the fabulous Surf Ballroom in that lovely Iowan town held in early February to commemorate the the 1958 performance there by Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper (J.P.Richardson) and the plane crash early the next morning that took their lives. If you get the chance, its a great time, especially for those of us of a certain age, of which I guess there aren't too many here. (Bring your woolies; it can get chilly out there.)
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I think if you've ever seen Breaking Bad, the FJ would be an instaget. If you've seen the show and have read interviews with the creator when he was asked how long he had "Crystal Blue Persuasion" ready to go before he finally had the episode he wanted to use it for, it would be an insta-instaget...

This is the second game in less than a month with three contestants who had clearly never seen the show. I guess it goes to show that as popular as the show is certain circles and demographics -- I don't think I have a single friend who doesn't watch it -- even the viewership of the most popular cable shows pales in comparison to mediocre network shows.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I went for the episode title and didn't look too into the song, fatal mistake. Good question but didn't get there
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

eboettch wrote:Anyone else neg with E. Annie Proulx for the Larry McMurtry clue? I checked and she did write the short story, just not the screenplay. Surprised that Styron was a TS.

Instaget FJ, without ever having seen Breaking Bad (or done meth).
I said Proulx. Oops. Also got FJ without having seen Breaking Bad.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

At last, Jeopardy is cool.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

sarah0114 wrote:EDIT: Apparently my husband is TPH.
The penny drops.

Picked up "mayhem," which is one of my favorite "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." (See also: burglary.) Ran Farsi! "Friday" was the equivalent of asking when Jews/Seventh Day Adventists congregate.