Tuesday, April 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bxle
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bxle »

Can anyone explain why Nick finished in third place and got $1,000 even though he and Mary each ended with $1? Shouldn't they have tied for second place and each won $2,000? I've done some web searching and there are lots of explanations about three-way ties and two-way ties for first, but I found nothing that addresses this situation.
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

bxle wrote:Can anyone explain why Nick finished in third place and got $1,000 even though he and Mary each ended with $1? Shouldn't they have tied for second place and each won $2,000? I've done some web searching and there are lots of explanations about three-way ties and two-way ties for first, but I found nothing that addresses this situation.
She was ahead of him at the end of DJ!. I have never thought that made sense, but that's the tiebreaker. I think they should split 3,000 like the do in golf with ties.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
bxle
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bxle »

Thanks for the answer! I'd be interested in seeing that rule (and any others that are official), just for my own amusement. Is it somewhere on the official jeopardy site? I haven't been able to find it so far.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's one of those things that isn't written down publicly and officially, but is explained during the contestant briefing.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:It's one of those things that isn't written down publicly and officially, but is explained during the contestant briefing.
I wonder if there's some obscure rule from Standards & Practices that says they have to provide an official copy of the rules to anyone who submits that request in writing. Somebody should write in and find out for me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler for after this show:
Spoiler
Crap on a stick. I'm away since this show, and I just got spoiled by the front page of The Washington Post's web site. Why does the show have to be so damn popular lately?