Wednesday, April 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by El Jefe »

John Boy wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Invigilator???? What the hell???? (I got it but by inference in the clue, as I'm sure the contestant did)
I not only didn't get it from context, but IIRC couldn't figure out what the hell it was talking about even after the reveal. Sounds like an electronic watchdog marketed by Ron Popiel
C'mon, VIGIL didn't tip you off who else stands vigil except maybe a hall monitor (which is not very Canadian, to my knowledge)? Completely decipherable.

A military sentry. A watchdog. A doorman. Just to name a few. Pardon me for being so dense.
Jeopardy wrote:To Canadians, this person present at an exam is called an "invigilator"
Do military sentries, watchdogs, or doormen attend your exams? In that case turn your head and cough please...
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

dhkendall wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Yeah, if you disdain learning about things and politics you will *definitely* want to avoid any questions about geography, sports, current events, music, literature....aw heck, you might as well just stop watching and reading- you might learn something by mistake.
Well, *that* explains our current bunch of politicians quite ably!
Listen, we were reelecting *our* crackhead mayors *way* before it was cool.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

El Jefe wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Yeah, if you disdain learning about things and politics you will *definitely* want to avoid any questions about geography, sports, current events, music, literature....aw heck, you might as well just stop watching and reading- you might learn something by mistake.
Who's this "we" you speak of; my mayor may have bad priorities for spending, concocting secret back room deals to buy land for fire halls, and may or may not be using favouritism in appointments, but he has *never* not once even been accused of smoking crack (other than the hyperbolic "what is he, on crack?" emitted by Winnipeggers when they hear what comes out of city hall lately), he's way too much of a square to do that.)

If it was up to the rest of Canada, Rob Ford wouldn't get enough votes for dogcatcher.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Wait you're saying Canada has more than one city now?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

dhkendall wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Who's this "we" you speak of; my mayor may have bad priorities for spending, concocting secret back room deals to buy land for fire halls, and may or may not be using favouritism in appointments, but he has *never* not once even been accused of smoking crack (other than the hyperbolic "what is he, on crack?" emitted by Winnipeggers when they hear what comes out of city hall lately), he's way too much of a square to do that.)

If it was up to the rest of Canada, Rob Ford wouldn't get enough votes for dogcatcher.
Wait a minute! You mean there's no title called Mayor of Canada! Dagnabbit!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Choosing not to get involved in several of the sub-discussions in this thread...

A little late to the party, but both Catholic (or catholic) and zeppelin are three syllables.

I had never heard of either a proctor (in that sense) or an invigilator. Actually, I also missed another one in the Canadian category (I don't remember offhand what it was), but my response for double-double might have been negged. I said "hot beverage", even though I don't know of more than two hot beverages that are generally ordered double-double.

(And yes, it was a smartass response. While I always order my tea double-double, I have to specify both tea and milk because simply saying double-double you will get a coffee with two creams (no milk) and two sugars, as the clue stated.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:Choosing not to get involved in several of the sub-discussions in this thread...

A little late to the party, but both Catholic (or catholic) and zeppelin are three syllables.
Brian
I'm guilty of saying both with two syllables. One of those San Francisco speak things. Like not writing complete sentences.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
bpmod wrote:Choosing not to get involved in several of the sub-discussions in this thread...

Brian
I'm guilty of saying both with two syllables. One of those San Francisco speak things. Like not writing complete sentences.
Two for me on both as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Two for me on both as well.
Ditto
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:A little late to the party, but both Catholic (or catholic) and zeppelin are three syllables.
I go with 2.5 for Catholic, 3 for zeppelin, and 3.5 for pentathlon.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:

Brian
Same here. (Except substitute "Winnipeg" for "San Francisco". (And substitute "using an inordinate amount of parentheses and inevitably forgetting to close one" with "not writing complete sentences.")

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

davey

Post by davey »

Onairb wrote:
skullturf wrote:For me, the adjective "catholic" with a lower case C can mean "broad in scope", but "broad-minded" seems like a slightly imprecise paraphrase.
The definition of "Small 'c' catholic" I've always seen is 'universal'...and 'broad in scope' falls in there. Not 'broad-minded'. Is the show written by a bunch of people who are constantly blurting out, "Oh, YOU know what I meant!"?
Or perhaps they are fans of Stephen Sondheim, who gives it a spin in this direction in his lyric for "I Never Do Anything Twice" (a song written for the Sherlock Holmes movie "The Seven Percent Solution"), sung by a worldly woman recounting her amorous adventures (definitely three syllables in this lyric)-

And then there was the abbot
Who worshipped at my feet
Who dressed me in a wimple and in veils
He made a proposition which
I found rather sweet
And handed me a hammer and some nails

In time we lay contented
And he began again
By fingering the beads around our waists
I whispered to him then
We'll have to say amen
For I had developed more catholic tastes

Here's Petula Clark (!) doing a very effective version-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcHm-1ZpyY

Since I can quote Sondheim quicker than Zeppelin, it won't surprise anybody that I got nowhere with this FJ. I mean, the Hindenburg didn't crash because it was heavy, did it?...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:Since I can quote Sondheim quicker than Zeppelin, it won't surprise anybody that I got nowhere with this FJ. I mean, the Hindenburg didn't crash because it was heavy, did it?...
Can I assume from that that you don't know the origin of the band's name? I case you don't (and for anybody that doesn't, although I am sure that number isn't very high), the story I heard was something like this: The Yardbirds had had a significant change in personnel and figured a new name was in order. When somebody suggested The New Yardbirds, somebody else retorted "That would fly like a lead zeppelin". Why they dropped the 'a', I don't know. It was probably to piss off TPH.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

bpmod wrote:
davey wrote:Since I can quote Sondheim quicker than Zeppelin, it won't surprise anybody that I got nowhere with this FJ. I mean, the Hindenburg didn't crash because it was heavy, did it?...
Can I assume from that that you don't know the origin of the band's name? I case you don't (and for anybody that doesn't, although I am sure that number isn't very high), the story I heard was something like this: The Yardbirds had had a significant change in personnel and figured a new name was in order. When somebody suggested The New Yardbirds, somebody else retorted "That would fly like a lead zeppelin". Why they dropped the 'a', I don't know. It was probably to piss off TPH.

Brian
We may also safely assume our readers still don't (necessarily) know the origin of the band's name...
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Nope, didn't know that, thanks, good story. But the invigilator in me is not sure how it answers my question... ;)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:Can I assume from that that you don't know the origin of the band's name? I case you don't (and for anybody that doesn't, although I am sure that number isn't very high), the story I heard was something like this: The Yardbirds had had a significant change in personnel and figured a new name was in order. When somebody suggested The New Yardbirds, somebody else retorted "That would fly like a lead zeppelin". Why they dropped the 'a', I don't know. It was probably to piss off TPH.
They did it so as not to confuse Americans. In Britain, the band is indeed Lead Zeppelin.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:Can I assume from that that you don't know the origin of the band's name? I case you don't (and for anybody that doesn't, although I am sure that number isn't very high), the story I heard was something like this: The Yardbirds had had a significant change in personnel and figured a new name was in order. When somebody suggested The New Yardbirds, somebody else retorted "That would fly like a lead zeppelin". Why they dropped the 'a', I don't know. It was probably to piss off TPH.
They did it so as not to confuse Americans. In Britain, the band is indeed Lead Zeppelin.
And in Canada, the southern rock band with the two long-bearded members (except the guy *named* Beard) is called Zed Zed Top.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:They did it so as not to confuse Americans. In Britain, the band is indeed Lead Zeppelin.
And in Canada, the southern rock band with the two long-bearded members (except the guy *named* Beard) is called Zed Zed Top.
Meanwhile, over in Britain, the movie Boyz n the Hood was released as Boyz n the Bonnet. And in Canada, the movie 8 Mile came out as 13 Km. It also, for some reason, had a slightly longer running time.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:They did it so as not to confuse Americans. In Britain, the band is indeed Lead Zeppelin.
Meanwhile, over in Britain, the movie Boyz n the Hood was released as Boyz n the Bonnet. And in Canada, the movie 8 Mile came out as 13 Km. It also, for some reason, had a slightly longer running time.
Actually 12.8780487804 km, and it repeated infinitely.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vanya wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Actually 12.8780487804 km, and it repeated infinitely.
Nice! Maybe we can work up a "Charlie on the MTA" sort of song about the unfortunate Canadians who went to see that movie.
  • Did the story get told?
    No it never got told,
    And the credits never rolled.
    They may stare forever
    At that screen in Bramptom
    They're the watchers who grow so old.
Maybe we can work in a line about how "They were infinitely close to the end."

This only works in Canada, of course. An American audience would just leave after a while. ;)