Friday, May 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Friday, May 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rex Kramer »

Caboom wrote:I said Marcus Antonius, as I couldn't remember it's Mark Antony in English. Surely that would be accepted?
Paucle wrote:Rex, you got this one?
But of course.

Yes, that would be accepted. But don't call me Shirley.

Rex
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We had a set of 1974 World Book Encyclopedias growing up and remember reading about Staten Island being called Richmond when reading an article about NYC. But for some reason I always call the place Long Island when it comes up on the show.

I got Brooklyn having the biggest population from the opening credits if Welcome Back, Kotter.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:I got Brooklyn having the biggest population from the opening credits if Welcome Back, Kotter.
Your TV must have been better than mine. I always saw the sign, but other than the word 'Brooklyn', I couldn't read anything on it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

Did they let everyone change their wagers in light of the the judges' decision? It didn't make a difference here, but I'd think some people would be upset about making a wager that refects an unlocked game, and then suddenly have it turn to locked - or vice versa.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Alex often specifies that the players have wagered based on the updated scores. When he doesn't, nevertheless the scoring change is not news to the contestants by the time Alex tells the audience.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got Brooklyn having the biggest population from the opening credits if Welcome Back, Kotter.
Your TV must have been better than mine. I always saw the sign, but other than the word 'Brooklyn', I couldn't read anything on it.

Brian
The sign said "Fourth largest city in America (or something like that)" underneath Welcome to Brooklyn.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Mathew5000 wrote: First time I'd ever heard that Staten Island had a different official name until 1975. Who decided to rename it?
Probably had something to do with Staten Island feeling as though it was getting short shrift from NYC, which annexed it 1898--along with Brooklyn, which up until then was a city. In fact, Staten Islanders were so fed up that in 1993, they voted to secede from the city: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/05/nyreg ... ssion.html

As for "Richmond," Staten Island is Richmond County, one of five counties that make up NYC. (Manahattan is New York County, and Brooklyn is Kings County, which further adds to the confusion--at least if you're not a New Yorker.)

Full disclosure: I had my first legal drink on Staten Island, back in the days when the drinking age in 18 in New York and 21 in New Jersey. No one from my high school class would ever miss a question about Staten Island or the Goethals Bridge.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote: I was wondering, since there are only five boroughs, if a clue had had to be tossed, what would have been the correct response to the sixth substitute clue? A repeat of one of the other correct responses? Or something relating to the boroughs but not specifically calling for one?
I would think if it had an answer of, say, "what is Brooklyn" and had to throw it out, they might replace it with a clue that has Brooklyn in the clue text,
Personally, I wouldn't mind a clue on this Brooklyn, but I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon. :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Mathew5000 wrote: I was wondering, since there are only five boroughs, if a clue had had to be tossed, what would have been the correct response to the sixth substitute clue? A repeat of one of the other correct responses? Or something relating to the boroughs but not specifically calling for one?
I would think if it had an answer of, say, "what is Brooklyn" and had to throw it out, they might replace it with a clue that has Brooklyn in the clue text,
Personally, I wouldn't mind a clue on this Brooklyn, but I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon. :lol:
I'd rather have one on Brooklyn Decker.
Sage on the Hudson

Not in the lest bit a Cohen-cidence

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a skater named Sasha Cohen? News to me.
Yes; she and the guy who played Borat are one and the same.
zakharov

Re: Not in the lest bit a Cohen-cidence

Post by zakharov »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Messing with TPH isn't very nice!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Not in the lest bit a Cohen-cidence

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
He really knows how to disappear into a role!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

(Amazing how I remember stuff I want to comment on only when I'm watching the episode for a second time as I'm entering it in the Archive):

Surprised that Jeopardy trotted out the myth that Manhattan was bought "for about $24". What's next, "he's the president who chopped down a cherry tree"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Did LaWanda also forget to say "what is" before her
"Gagnam" response?
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

StevenH wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Surprised/disappointed that Goebbels was a TS.
I can never keep those Nazi guys straight (Goebbels, Goring, Himmler, Bormann, etc.). Someday I will learn to keep them straight.
I still have trouble with some of the others, but came up with a good way to get Goebbels at least -- I kind of rhyme it with garbles, which is what a propagandist does to the truth.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
yclept

Post by yclept »

Julia is such a consistent, unflappable player. One of those players that as you are watching, you don't get the feeling she is running away with the game...only to have her at $20,000+ heading into Final Jeopardy.

As for strategy, one thing is apparent based on success: Che's style worked for him. Julia's works for her. What else needs to be said?

Opponent quality? We have no idea how good her opponents are. All we are finding out is that they simply aren't as good as she is. There may have been a legitimate multiple day champion amongst her victims. We will never know.

I do wonder what she would do if she is behind by a decent margin in DJ and hit a Daily Double. So far, her wagers have maxed at $3500' I believe. So that shows she is willing to get a decent amount.....but what if her back was against the wall? I am intrigued to see that if it ever did come to fruition.

Bottom line is that she is one of 4 to get to double digit victories. She has destroyed most of her opponents, and has displayed wide knowledge on many topics with excellent buzzer speed. She is a steamroller and a legit threat in her next TOC.

I wish the special tourney was next year..who wouldn't want to see Chu and Julia go up against the best to see how they would do? Of course, the next TOC field is going to be quite strong and will be tough enough for the two of them to get through.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

yclept wrote:As for strategy, one thing is apparent based on success: Che's style worked for him.
I totally agree!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well done, El Jefe.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why couldn't Elissa say "Are They Speaking Martian?" in her interview?
This was kind of awkward in the interview.

The contestant release states: "I will not make any unauthorized mention or "plug" of any commercial product, service, venture or thing on the air, including the name of my employer." (When practicing stories in the green room with Robert and trying to dance around naming names, he said that it was okay to name my employer since universities are non-profit.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

yclept wrote:Julia is such a consistent, unflappable player. One of those players that as you are watching, you don't get the feeling she is running away with the game...only to have her at $20,000+ heading into Final Jeopardy.

As for strategy, one thing is apparent based on success: Che's style worked for him. Julia's works for her. What else needs to be said?

Opponent quality? We have no idea how good her opponents are. All we are finding out is that they simply aren't as good as she is. There may have been a legitimate multiple day champion amongst her victims. We will never know.
I think we have some clue from the number of triple stumpers.

In a TOC, I'd be surprised to see all three contestants fail to scoop up the following:
  • Wolfpack when spotted North Carolina State and canine sports crew AND two of them are given extra time to think while one guesses Huskies [Edited. I accidentally listed Huskies as the correct response]
  • rigging when asked for the name of a ship's ropes, tackle, chains, and supporting mast
  • Blackbeard when spotted Queen Anne's Revenge
  • Little Big Horn when spotted a pic of Custer's headstone AND some extra time for two of them to think while the third guesses Gettysburg
  • Attila the Hun when asked for a 450 AD barbarian who tangled with the Roman emperor
  • cork when asked for the stopper stolen from W. C. Fields' lunch
  • GWB when asked who came after WJC
  • cataract when spotted large waterfall, the first two letters "ca", and told it's not "cascade"
  • Ben-Hur when spotted "A Tale of the Christ".
  • below when asked the meaning of the Latin prefix infra- And some extra time for two of them while the third guesses "between"
  • hot air balloon when asked for the cause of the first air disaster and spotted 1785 and a fire caused by the thing running into a chimney AND some extra time for two of them while the third guesses bird AND some extra time for one of them while the other guesses kite.
  • voir dire when asked for the two French words describing the process of questioning prospective jurors
  • archaic when asked for a word meaning antiquated that can be found in "saccharine"
  • calamari when asked to name a cephalopod dish AND two of them get some extra time and the information that it's not "octopus" courtesy of the third contestant
  • dulcimer when spotted Appalachian instrument and wooden hammers
  • glockenspiel when spotted German named percussion instrument, marching band, and bell lyre
  • Vietnam War when spotted Fields of Fire and Don't Cry, It's Only Thunder
  • Nostradamus when spotted legendary French mystic and a 16th century time-frame
  • two-handed backhand when asked for the reach-limiting stroke popularized by Evert, Connors, and Borg
  • stove pipe when asked for a 19th century high silk top hat and steered in the right direction by being told another name was "chimney pipe"
  • oompah when asked for a repetitious brass accompaniment and spotted the initial double-o
  • sabot when given: A clog of French peasants; add "-age" to get a type of destruction the peasants did by putting the shoes in machinery
  • Von Braun when spotted German-born rocket scientist AND two of them get the additional info that it's not Oppenheimer AND one of them gets even more time to think while the other guesses the Dane, Niels Bohr.
  • ammonia when asked for a gas produced from hydrogen and nitrogen AND some extra time for two of them while the third rings in and can't come up with anything
  • turning it off and back on when asked for the two steps in a hard reboot of a computer AND some extra time for two while the third guesses ctrl-alt-delete (which isn't even a PAIR of steps, but, to be fair, it's not a command either :mrgreen:)
  • Aristotle and Plato when asked for the two ancient Greek philosophers most likely to have a commentary written on their writings by an Arab in the 12th century
  • Evangeline when spotted Longfellow poem and Acadian
  • Jonathan Swift when spotted Brobdingnag
  • Joseph Goebbels when spotted Nazi propaganda
Now, I'm not saying every TOC-level contestant should be able to get all of these. But it should be rare that all three of them don't know. People may feel some of my choices aren't fair (and perhaps some of my omissions are overly-generous). As Sam Spade said, "Maybe some of them are unimportant. I won't argue about that. But look at the number of them. Now on the other side we've got what? All we've got is the fact that maybe we love Julia, and maybe she loves us."

Well, I do love Julia. I admit it. I want her to win and win and win. But I won't play the sap for her.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sun May 04, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.