Thursday, June 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Re: Thursday, June 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by countyguy »

nightreign wrote:
countyguy wrote:Did anyone else find the "G"eography $1000 clue to be serious negbait for the Grand Canyon. Surprised no one rang in.
They already mentioned Grand Canyon in the clue, so it wasn't going to be that.
Oops must have missed that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote:Fourth podium win; $10000 on $2000 clues alone; didn't keep track of the rest of it, but there was rest of it. FJ a joke. Want to be impressed with Molly; really liked her TDD on a category she seemed comfortable with, but then crickets on a pretty easy Horatio clue if you know the play, usually the last line performed (though not the last line as written).
That actually tripped me up. I forgot the line was Horatio's. I knew it came right near the end of the play. And I knew the play ended with Fortinbras lamenting Hamlet's death. So that's who I guessed.

If "Good night, sweet prince..." is the last line usually performed, that adds an extra layer of irony to Tom Stoppard's play. Most audiences never even hear that "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead".
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Took me until after the third answer to figure out the "State of Film" category, but at least it didn't take me all five like it clearly did the contestants. Also, film is my thing, so I ran it easily - only on the last one did knowing that a state name needed to be involved come as slight assistance.

That FJ was one of those that just seems wayyyyy too easy.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

lisa0012 wrote:As the resident psychologist, I am very frustrated that I didn't run the psychology category. Somehow in all of my training I never learned about EST. Then again, after reading about it, it sounds like a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why they don't teach it.
Yeah, it seemed a little sketchy to have that in the psychology category. Might as well ask about Scientology.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Only Hamlet gave me trouble. With Gertrude eliminated and Alex obviously doing a female voice on the DD that was gift wrapped for Molly to get the double up on Ophelia.
Mrs P guessed Polonius. It wasn't an obviously female voice to her. I guess she got more of a Peter Lorre vibe. I think you're right, though, that most would let that voice steer them away from the male characters. And as you note, the only other named female character had been used.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Sarah was gone long before Alex got to the responses tonight as Molly's big DD bet tipped off there would be no monkey business with her wager.
Maybe.
Good one. One more for the tally for that game still being brought up in 2014. :)
MommyQ
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by MommyQ »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:A male named Stacy? Interesting.
Given the rift trend, he figured it couldn't hurt his chances.
I was away from these Board[s] the past few years: what rift?
"If you don't like what they're saying, change the conversation."
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

MommyQ wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I can't believe everyone hasn't heard about the outchange yet.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MommyQ wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1986

I'd try and summarize, but I don't think that's actually possible.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:
DHicton wrote:Well, those Hamlet voices were a bit distracting. Also ass-tightening.
Just what was he supposed to be doing there? The first one he did sounded like Bogart.
I was also mystified. Let me just leave it at that.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:Fj will probably poll above 90%. not 100% because I missed it. :( For some reason I first thought of Mount Rushmore, from the somewhat recent (FJ?) clue about it "watching over America's skyline" or something like that, then realized I was in the wrong century, but never got out of the midwest, I landed on the Gateway Arch - even though I figured the correct answer was probably one that could "watch" (i.e. is depicted with eyes) ruling out St. Louis. The Statue of Liberty never once occurred to me. And I'll probably be alone in this regard (*maybe* with TPH, but I"m not even placing the usual easy bet on that.)
Lach Trash on station, Bulrushes (anyone ever read the story of Moses???), E.S.T., and der Spiegel.

And yeah, FJ was beyond Instaget. Once again the writers seem to have difficulty coming up with a clue that lies in that middle range that distinguishes between the average player and the better ones. So many FJs seem to be total kids-week-instagets or total head scratchers.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

JeopRDFan wrote:Congrats to Molly on the win -- certainly knows her Hamlet, but I thought she'd ring in on that final $2000 nugget. She seems to have a good knowlege base and a quick buzzer, hope she continues as she was quite elated at winning.
Molly's got a winning smile. But we'd already seen it several times before it lived up to that description. I wasn't sure if it meant "elated" or just "back to my baseline, which is happy." Either way, she definitely makes it easy to be happy along with her.

What really struck me was Stacy's stoic expression as he applauded at the end.

I guess the outchange does that to you.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'm Teen Tournament age and I instagot this Final. So did my mom, who's worse than I am at the adult shows. That's saying something.

On the other hand, I miss tons and tons of stuff that's supposedly "Kid's Week easy," so I know that feeling of being utterly stupid.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TryphonTournesol wrote:Took me until after the third answer to figure out the "State of Film" category, but at least it didn't take me all five like it clearly did the contestants.
I get the impression it took them even longer than that. I suspect three foreheads got slapped yesterday as the contestants watched their game on TV. :lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mxc_takeshi wrote:I actually learned all of the presidents before I started kindergarten because my parents had a set of encyclopedias (which I still own), and one of the volumes was a special edition dedicated solely to all 41 (at the time) presidents, and I just browsed at the pictures and names.
So that was when Clinton was president?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote:
gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Sarah was gone long before Alex got to the responses tonight as Molly's big DD bet tipped off there would be no monkey business with her wager.
Maybe.
Good one. One more for the tally for that game still being brought up in 2014. :)
Is there a game that more precipitously shaped J! history?
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
DHicton wrote:Well, those Hamlet voices were a bit distracting. Also ass-tightening.
Just what was he supposed to be doing there? The first one he did sounded like Bogart.
I was also mystified. Let me just leave it at that.
"Alex reading the clues in the style of an actor 'hamming' it up". No trouble with that premise, but when he did (bad) impressions of real actors, not all of them recognizable, and those who were didn't have a reputation for being 'hammy'(at least, I've never seen or heard anyone describe Bogart that way) it was too much of a distraction.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Fj will probably poll above 90%. not 100% because I missed it. :( For some reason I first thought of Mount Rushmore, from the somewhat recent (FJ?) clue about it "watching over America's skyline" or something like that, then realized I was in the wrong century, but never got out of the midwest, I landed on the Gateway Arch - even though I figured the correct answer was probably one that could "watch" (i.e. is depicted with eyes) ruling out St. Louis. The Statue of Liberty never once occurred to me. And I'll probably be alone in this regard (*maybe* with TPH, but I"m not even placing the usual easy bet on that.)
Lach Trash on station, Bulrushes (anyone ever read the story of Moses???), E.S.T., and der Spiegel.

And yeah, FJ was beyond Instaget. Once again the writers seem to have difficulty coming up with a clue that lies in that middle range that distinguishes between the average player and the better ones. So many FJs seem to be total kids-week-instagets or total head scratchers.
When my (Catholic) church had the readings with the story of Moses, the translation they used said he was found in the 'reeds'.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

And yeah, FJ was beyond Instaget. Once again the writers seem to have difficulty coming up with a clue that lies in that middle range that distinguishes between the average player and the better ones. So many FJs seem to be total kids-week-instagets or total head scratchers.[/quote]

Know the story of Moses but never knew Bulrushes and Cattails were the same thing.

Alex's accents were so bad in Hamlet that I got distracted and had trouble answering.
Add me to one that didn't get the State of the Movie category till Mississipi Burning

FJ was way too easy to the point that I was second guessing myself with Ellis Island and the Gateway Arch until the last second and went with the obvious/correct answer.
Maybe that was the writers intent
MommyQ
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by MommyQ »

econgator wrote:
MommyQ wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1986

I'd try and summarize, but I don't think that's actually possible.
Boy, am I both horrified and thrilled that I asked. I *was* still restraining myself from a flame war over the offensive ableist snark in my thread asking about wheelchair-using contestants. The wit-to-comment ratio in the rift-outchange thread has renewed my faith in the rest of you, though.

Has anyone ever launched an online-dating pool among JBoarders? oh..... never mind.
"If you don't like what they're saying, change the conversation."