Friday, June 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Friday, June 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Tigershark wrote:Two things I will not apologize for- the NC question and my FJ wager.

As for my FJ wager, the $1400 wager would have been better, but that wager assumes Sunil is going to wager rationally. For some reason, I didn't think he would, and I was right.
You don't have to apologize for anything, but that doesn't mean it was the proper wager. If you're going to be results oriented, you see that Jill did not wager rationally either and if you bet it all and are correct then you win. The problem with guessing on irrational wagers is you have no idea just how irrational they will be and therefore unable to wager perfectly.

Why give a second's thought about what Alex thinks or says? He doesn't control you, it's not his money, he's not attempting to answer questions. Letting him get to you is just silly. And I think you were correct in what you did on the North Carolina question, if you are able to ration it out over half the time (and I think you would over the long haul) then it's the correct play without a doubt.

But hey, it's over now. My suggestion would be to put all the hate behind you and simply enjoy the fame and especially the money!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: For some reason he must have taken a dislike to you. I thought he was being very condescending for praising your "savvy" wagering when all you did was make the MSB from the lead.

As for ringing in when you didn't know it, I don't know why he felt the need to bring it up. If you had been cruising for ten days and crashed doing this on the 11th, that's one thing. But it sounded like he was saying "I guess Miss Smarty Pants is getting what she deserves for ringing in when she shouldn't".
Actually this day, just like every other day, Alex was being, well, Alex. Part of his "persona" if you will is clueless older relative (I've mentioned before how he makes the most inane comments about wagers before because he knows about as much about wagering theory as the average viewer (ie very little), who would also make those comments; and part of the "doddering older relative persona" is making the odd wtf comment (like he did with the ringing in), they are as much a part of him as a cheesy accent is guaranteed for anything remotely related to Dracula. But, Alex is first and foremost always impartial, I don't think he was "against" Jennifer or anyone else in the last 30 years.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

Clue: This zone is between 23 1/2 degrees north & south latitude; is it hot out here?

Sunil said equatorial zone, which extends 10 degrees north and south of the equator, according to my reference, so it's within the tropical zone (which is also known as the intertropical zone). Why BMS instead of being negged?
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Golf wrote:
But hey, it's over now. My suggestion would be to put all the hate behind you and simply enjoy the fame and especially the money!
I'm over it. I was pissed for about 48 hours, but I'm good. Someone recognized me at the beach yesterday, which was fun. I've been getting a bunch of friend requests, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a catfish.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cosmos wrote:Clue: This zone is between 23 1/2 degrees north & south latitude; is it hot out here?

Sunil said equatorial zone, which extends 10 degrees north and south of the equator, according to my reference, so it's within the tropical zone (which is also known as the intertropical zone). Why BMS instead of being negged?
They should have told him to BLS.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Tigershark wrote:
Golf wrote:
I'm over it. I was pissed for about 48 hours, but I'm good. Someone recognized me at the beach yesterday, which was fun. I've been getting a bunch of friend requests, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a catfish.
If one of them mentioned a cigar, please do not accept the request.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

scrutinizer wrote:Seems to me that quotes are either correct or incorrect. I can't remember any quotation when a near miss brought on a BMS. I may be misremembering, but didn't AT start to rule Sunil wrong on an answer and was prompted by the judges to BMS?
Bamaman wrote: I don't remember Sunil's clue and him getting extra time and a BMS.
It was 'In The "Zone"' for $2000

(Sunil: What's the equatorial zone?)
(Alex: All right, we'll give you more specific on that.)
(Sunil: What's the intra-equatorial zone?)

I also felt that was an undeserved second chance. It was obviuos Sunil didn't have a clue what they were going for on that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote:
scrutinizer wrote:Seems to me that quotes are either correct or incorrect. I can't remember any quotation when a near miss brought on a BMS. I may be misremembering, but didn't AT start to rule Sunil wrong on an answer and was prompted by the judges to BMS?
Bamaman wrote: I don't remember Sunil's clue and him getting extra time and a BMS.
It was 'In The "Zone"' for $2000

(Sunil: What's the equatorial zone?)
(Alex: All right, we'll give you more specific on that.)
(Sunil: What's the intra-equatorial zone?)

I also felt that was an undeserved second chance. It was obviuos Sunil didn't have a clue what they were going for on that.
I think the judges may have wanted something they could explicitly point to as 'wrong' or 'right.' Give him enough rope, as it were. We know "equatorial zone" is wrong, but can we -prove- it's wrong? That's what the judges have to do, basically.

Tentative Google searching gives me the impression that 'equatorial zone' is used as a phrase...it's just not concretely defined (possibly a desire by the writer to drop a fancy word like 'zone' into print).
( http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/06 ... index.html . Not that plane, the other one.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:
Tigershark wrote:
Golf wrote:
But he's not a catfish :)
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Tigershark wrote:
Golf wrote:
I think I got a friend request from that guy as well. I got numerous random friend requests after Jeopardy aired. I only accepted two of them. One from a someone I went to college with and one was from one of my competitors.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

Tigershark wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Tigershark wrote:
Golf wrote:
I think I got a friend request from that guy as well. I got numerous random friend requests after Jeopardy aired. I only accepted two of them. One from a someone I went to college with and one was from one of my competitors.
Just noticed this, and I believe I was the competitor whose friend request you accepted. Seems like it was around the time I sent it, I can't remember minutiae from a couple months back...