TCONA 4 - 2014 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TCONA 4 - 2014 - Official Thread

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Volante wrote: Pocket protector? Asthma inhaler (I mean, if they're throwing glasses...)?
What would throwing my gym towel signify?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Volante wrote: Pocket protector? Asthma inhaler (I mean, if they're throwing glasses...)?
You're a hoopy frood.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

StevenH wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Gentle bump.
Ken Jennings is hyping this up too:

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 1103820801
Whoa, I didn't know that Ken will be going. If I am not mistaken this will be his first time at TCONA.
You are mistaken. He was there for the first one too.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:You are mistaken. He was there for the first one too.
NoName covered that :)
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Volante wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
You're a hoopy frood.
Great job of using that reference correctly. Maybe I should throw my number 42 jersey at him as well.
BuzzerBattleBill
Contributor

Post by BuzzerBattleBill »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Would love to try out the simulator.
I run the J! Simulator. There will be a party on Thursday, August 7 in a skyloft suite at the MGM Grand.

In order for this party to be successful, games need to be written. If you would like to show off your creativity and write game(s) to be used on the simulator, they will be greatly appreciated. If you are attending the event, you can even host the game(s) you write. I created an Excel template file and instruction file that can be used to create your game. For each game written, the writer gets an entry into a drawing to win door prizes at the party and will have an advantage when selecting contestants to play.

I have a Facebook group where I coordinate this activity. If you would like to be added to the group, send an email to buzzerbattle@gmail.com with your Facebook name, and we'll go from there.

Bill
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

BuzzerBattleBill wrote:
I run the J! Simulator. There will be a party on Thursday, August 7 in a skyloft suite at the MGM Grand.

In order for this party to be successful, games need to be written. If you would like to show off your creativity and write game(s) to be used on the simulator, they will be greatly appreciated. If you are attending the event, you can even host the game(s) you write. I created an Excel template file and instruction file that can be used to create your game. For each game written, the writer gets an entry into a drawing to win door prizes at the party and will have an advantage when selecting contestants to play.

I have a Facebook group where I coordinate this activity. If you would like to be added to the group, send an email to buzzerbattle@gmail.com with your Facebook name, and we'll go from there.

Bill
Is the simulator only going to be on the 7th? I'll be coming in late that night as it was the cheapest flight on offer :(
If not, I could consider writing something. What games will be there? I may try it out.
BuzzerBattleBill
Contributor

Post by BuzzerBattleBill »

We usually do something on Sunday after TCONA ends, but it won't be as extravagant as the Thursday night party.
BobF

Post by BobF »

BuzzerBattleBill wrote:

Bill
I looked at the template Bill sent, and coming up with 61 clues is pretty daunting. Anybody want to go in as a group and create a game? We can create one or two or three categories apiece and perhaps brainstorm a little.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am looking to form or join a team for the quiz bowl competition. Please let me know if you need a teammate!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

StevenH wrote:I am looking to form or join a team for the quiz bowl competition. Please let me know if you need a teammate!
Yup, i'm looking for a team. PM me if you're interested. I can contact TCONA and ask them to assign us two more teammates.
Last edited by ihavejeoprosy on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

BobF wrote:
BuzzerBattleBill wrote:

Bill
I looked at the template Bill sent, and coming up with 61 clues is pretty daunting. Anybody want to go in as a group and create a game? We can create one or two or three categories apiece and perhaps brainstorm a little.
Bob, are you going to TCONA? I'd like to try putting a quiz together.
BobF

Post by BobF »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
BobF wrote:
BuzzerBattleBill wrote:

Bill
Bob, are you going to TCONA? I'd like to try putting a quiz together.
No, man, I've got a kid starting college next month, my travel budget is nil. If I get "the call" I'm probably going to have to borrow from family members to cover travel expenses (and fortunately I have a good friend in LA who has offered to put me up, plus some extended family).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

BobF wrote:
No, man, I've got a kid starting college next month, my travel budget is nil. If I get "the call" I'm probably going to have to borrow from family members to cover travel expenses (and fortunately I have a good friend in LA who has offered to put me up, plus some extended family).
I understand. One of the reasons i'm going this year is since I didn't get the call, it would be a nice consolation trip.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BobF wrote:No, man, I've got a kid starting college next month, my travel budget is nil. If I get "the call" I'm probably going to have to borrow from family members to cover travel expenses (and fortunately I have a good friend in LA who has offered to put me up, plus some extended family).
Two words: Gap year.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

alietr wrote:
BobF wrote:No, man, I've got a kid starting college next month, my travel budget is nil. If I get "the call" I'm probably going to have to borrow from family members to cover travel expenses (and fortunately I have a good friend in LA who has offered to put me up, plus some extended family).
Two words: Gap year.
Just send him to the school of hard knocks for a year before getting to college.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

NoName84 wrote:
StevenH wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Gentle bump.
Ken Jennings is hyping this up too:

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 1103820801
Whoa, I didn't know that Ken will be going. If I am not mistaken this will be his first time at TCONA.
He was there the first year.
What NoName84 is leaving out is that in 2011 he beat KJ in LLLive en route to winning the thing. KJ has not been back since, so it's great to see he's returning. That guy Rutter, on the other hand, was there in 2012 and 2013 -- let's hope he comes back. Roger Craig usually makes the trip too... and slam, hbomb, Austin, larkin, bomtr, Drew Scheeler, hanzz, omgwheelhouse...
In and out of the pool four times
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

reddpen wrote: What NoName84 is leaving out is that in 2011 he beat KJ in LLLive en route to winning the thing. KJ has not been back since, so it's great to see he's returning. That guy Rutter, on the other hand, was there in 2012 and 2013 -- let's hope he comes back. Roger Craig usually makes the trip too... and slam, hbomb, Austin, larkin, bomtr, Drew Scheeler, hanzz, omgwheelhouse...
Thats awesome. Im kind of disappointed said boardies havent been more active in this thread. Also, good job noname84
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

I went once, in 2012, and I want to go back again soon. But not this year...
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
reddpen wrote: What NoName84 is leaving out is that in 2011 he beat KJ in LLLive en route to winning the thing. KJ has not been back since, so it's great to see he's returning. That guy Rutter, on the other hand, was there in 2012 and 2013 -- let's hope he comes back. Roger Craig usually makes the trip too... and slam, hbomb, Austin, larkin, bomtr, Drew Scheeler, hanzz, omgwheelhouse...
Thats awesome. Im kind of disappointed said boardies havent been more active in this thread. Also, good job noname84
Don't make too big a thing of it...it was literally one question that I knew that he didn't.