Wednesday, July 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:ETA: Also surprised no one jumped in with the Rams once the Raiders were negged. And none of them have heard of Steve Largent, a HOF WR and damn near the only Seahawk worth remembering before Cortez Kennedy came along? Tsk Tsk.
Your comment after the first sentence completely explains the first sentence, so your surprise surprises me. :)
StevenH wrote:I locked in on Bill Cosby for FJ and didn't really consider anyone else. At the end of the think music Jerry Seinfeld popped into my head, but I still would have stuck with Bill Cosby. I am not sure that I would have ever gotten to Tim Allen, even though I have seen the movie and used to watch the television show that the clue referenced.
That was pretty much me, although I started with Seinfeld, then went to Cosby and Reiser. Finally, Tim Allen came to me and I knew it was correct (although I forgot the name of the book).
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:ETA: Also surprised no one jumped in with the Rams once the Raiders were negged. And none of them have heard of Steve Largent, a HOF WR and damn near the only Seahawk worth remembering before Cortez Kennedy came along? Tsk Tsk.
Your comment after the first sentence completely explains the first sentence, so your surprise surprises me. :)
The second comment was somewhat facetious :) (I was actually very surprised that it was in the 800 box with Montana/Chiefs below it) But I thought the fact that the Rams and the Raiders both used to be in L.A. wasn't some obscure fact known only to hardcore football fans. Although...was the one who negged with the Raiders also the one who knew Montana finished up with the Chiefs? Maybe the other two didn't know football at all.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

It seemed like a brutal board for the players today, didn't count how many TS, but there had to be a good amount.
My best category was His Last NFL Team 5/5, where I picked up a majority of my Lach Trash: Rams, Seahawks, Chiefs, & also "Jake" & Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias
I thank my parents for the Willie Nelson answer, as that was one of my favorite songs.
I was also looking forward to "The Chorus" category, and on FJ, it was an Instaget. I remember one year the Disney Channel played "The Santa Clause" everyday during Christmas.

BTW, I haven't seen that many clues left on the board in quite a while during that Double Jeopardy Round.
Last edited by psgola on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm blanking on the scene, but I'm sure I've heard some version of the "Jake" slang in 1973's The Sting. Unlike others here I did not need the Lamotta portion. Time machine $3000 for me with the old slang.

My other fiver was HIS LAST NFL TEAM to account for 10 of my 31. I did not precall Franco Harris, but I did predict Montana, Smith and Namath in the category. I was rooting for Molly because those clowns next to her would not have even had any recognition of Marinaro or Bettis sharing their first names.

Jerome didn't even know low blow until he woke up to rebound it. Jerome did know to pick a top row clue with time short and the lock in place. Nice move there.

The Concord/town/city thing sounds very familiar so we must have been through that in a previous thread.

The FJ! category did not inspire me to try any precalls. Entertainment felt like it would not be movies, so too wide open with TV, music and celebrities to bother thinking ahead of time. The clue was exactly the kind I like to send my paper score to infinity and beyond or well, at least five figures.
cdub
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cdub »

Why did they run out of time so fast? They had quite a few triple stumpers but they still had plenty of time left. Then at the end the credits were so long. :|
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I wonder if anyone else got the mole one from this xkcd what-if installment. (I was just re-reading it a few days ago).

Had Seinfeld for most of FJ, but couldn't really find a way to make him for with the other two, then Tim Allen popped in my head and everything fit although, like econ, I couldn't remember the name of the book. (Once it was revealed, I remembered I really wanted it at the time since that was the peak of my interest in standup). I physically wrote down Tim Allen (and crossed out Seinfeld) with a few seconds left after I was done so I'm sure it would have counted were I doing it "for real".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

chalupabatman786 wrote:I got the clue right anyway, but I could have sworn that a mole was a measure of quantity, not atomic weight.
A mole is an Avagadro's number of an item, and the atomic weight is the mass of that number of atoms of a particular element. IIRC, the clue said the word was related to atomic weight, not equated with it.
OCSam
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yes, I also seem to remember that clue containing words along the lines of "related to". Which is maybe inelegant, but prevents it from being false.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Did all the clues in Chemistry Set involve a set? I know some did but I forget to check them all. (I'm considering Avogadro's number to be a set.)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

OrangeSAM wrote:
chalupabatman786 wrote:I got the clue right anyway, but I could have sworn that a mole was a measure of quantity, not atomic weight.
A mole is an Avagadro's number of an item, and the atomic weight is the mass of that number of atoms of a particular element. IIRC, the clue said the word was related to atomic weight, not equated with it.
Well, almost. The conversion is only exact for carbon-12, but Avogadro's Number essentially is the conversion from atomic mass units to grams. One atom of carbon has a mass of 12 (unified) atomic mass units; one mole of carbon atoms has a mass of 12 grams.

I'm sure I'm biased by the fact that I didn't get it, but I thought the clue was terrible, if not exactly invalid. It's as if they were looking for time and they said "this quantity related to distance" based on the fact that you can divide the distance by the speed to get the time. It's the kind of clue someone would write if they had read a Wikipedia article but had no idea what time was.

I precalled "E.R. and Chicago Hope" for FJ, but got it with little difficulty. I moved from State College, PA to Rolla in 1994 so it's one of the years to which it's easier for me to pin events.

I learned the expression "Everything's Jake" during my contract bridge phase--I read an anthology of bridge-related stories entitled "Everything's Jake With Me" (the protagonist was named Jake Winkman).
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

I came up with Avogadro's Number for that clue but couldn't come up with mole, drove me nuts
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Weird game all around. I said 'BP' on the 'Hess' clue, the only oil company with a green logo that I could think of.
TS on 'L.A. Rams' 'Kansas City Chiefs' and the singers for 'To All the Girls I Loved Before'? :roll:
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:..."Hess" may have been too East Coast-specific for a California show. I've only barely heard of Hess myself....
I'd agree but all of the players were from east of the Continental Divide (DC, TN, TX). I guessed Hess based on colors, although I don't know that I've ever bought Hess fuel.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:..."Hess" may have been too East Coast-specific for a California show. I've only barely heard of Hess myself....
I'd agree but all of the players were from east of the Continental Divide (DC, TN, TX). I guessed Hess based on colors, although I don't know that I've ever bought Hess fuel.
I've seen ads for the Hess truck as the "quintessential American Christmas toy" and a "tradition" and yadda yadda yadda. Full disclosure: that was immediately brought back to my mind, but only in the sense of "oh, I know what this is, it's referencing that classic toy I heard about from a gas station that I haven't heard of before and only associate with that toy instead of gas, and it starts with H!"

(I'm wondering, are Hess trucks a thing in areas of the country without Hess gas stations? I'd say TPH's comment (yeah, I know) gives some merit to it not being so, but I'd obviously like a larger sample size.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Stumbled on FJ -- brain kept saying "Tooltime Time, Tooltime Tim ... The Santa Clause!!", but his last name eluded me as I couldn't get away from Tim Daly. Oh well. Managed to get lach trash on LA Rams (rebound), Jake (rebound), and Willie Nelson/Julio Iglesias.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I managed to go 4/5 on the NFL category (including a non-buzz on the $2,000 clue, saying the correct answer aloud as what I was clamming on).
$400: team color made it easy
$800: location and hint at the name
$1,200: my instinct to guess Rams when a former L.A. team is sought
($1,600: teammates are probably the least helpful hint I can get)
$2,000: Joe Montana was already playing for the Chiefs by the time I was aware of him.

(Have I swapped $1,200 and $1,600?)

'90s sitcom + Christmas movie = Tim Allen.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:I managed to go 4/5 on the NFL category (including a non-buzz on the $2,000 clue, saying the correct answer aloud as what I was clamming on).
$400: team color made it easy
$800: location and hint at the name
$1,200: my instinct to guess Rams when a former L.A. team is sought
($1,600: teammates are probably the least helpful hint I can get)
$2,000: Joe Montana was already playing for the Chiefs by the time I was aware of him.

(Have I swapped $1,200 and $1,600?)

'90s sitcom + Christmas movie = Tim Allen.
You have the order right. The Franco Harris/Seahawks clue definitely should have been in the bottom row. The writers might have thought, since they gave teammates as an extra hint for $1600, that it was easier than the Joe Montana clue below it that just asked for his last team with no extra information. But that is poor logic, as virtually anyone (other than residents of the Pacific Northwest) who knows what team Steve Largent played for is also going to know what team Montana finished with, while the inverse is far from true.

Also, for all who had a coin flip on Rams/Raiders, the way to figure that one was that Namath retired in the 70s, while the Raiders were still in Oakland. Not that many would know the exact years of either, but Namath finished up with the Rams in 1977, while the Raiders didn't move to Los Angeles until 1982. I wasn't 100% sure that Namath didn't play past 1980, but I was reasonably confident that it had to be the Rams. That one too is probably harder than Montana in the bottom row.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Whither the Outchange.

My precall on FJ was Kurt Cobain.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Ryno wrote: Instaget FJ. Yep, 94 was a big year for
Spoiler
Tim Allen
, though I never really was a fan. Thought at least one of the contestants might go with Jerry Seinfeld.
Seinfeld was my first thought but I switched to
Spoiler
Tim Allen
after a second and a half.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

No one mentioned that besides the tIme's up bell with six clues left in DJ!, there was also a full credit roll(Tuesday's show had a full credit roll, but all 61 clues were seen Tuesday). Wonder if all six unseen DJ! clues were triple stumpers and they edited them out of the show?