Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Haven't read the books or seen any of the movies, but I have seen Jennifer Lawrence on the movie promo poster aiming an arrow, so that was good enough for me. I really had no idea the name "Katniss" wasn't just something made up by Collins and that did make me ponder it a bit, but nothing else came to me so I stuck with it.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Thing that happens often on final jeopardy, you lock into something and don't look any further. Last night, I turned to my son and said, "I'm never getting this." he asked why and I said, "What was the name of the lead character in Brave?" He said he couldn't remember, but once I locked into that, and I did rather quickly. I didn't even go any further.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, I would say to count as correct either "Katniss" or "Katniss from The Hunger Games." Do not count the girl who was on fire or the girl from District 12.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:In my township, due to population growth, all the elementary schools were too full to hold the 6th graders anymore, and I guess they couldn't squeeze them into the middle schools, so they've built separate buildings just for 6th graders. I think part of the reasoning was using it as a transition between elementary and junior high, as it lets the kids get used to having lockers, changing classes, etc, while not having to deal with older students.
When I was finishing up 6th grade, the division was something like this. K-3 was at Cedar Lake, 4-6 at Richardson. 7th at River Road (a very small building that used to be an elementary school), 8th in a wing of portables behind the high school, and 9-12 in the high school proper. At this point, an ancient elementary school downtown (Oscoda Elementary) had just closed because it would've cost too much to get it up to code, and an old county school (County Line), which I believe was originally an elementary but was used for pre-kindergarten when I attended it, had been vacant for years.

Right after I graduated HS, they went crazy on expanding all the schools. Cedar Lake got a new library, gym, and offices; Richardson and River Road were tied together with a new annex, including a new gym and computer lab; the portables were torn down at the high school, and new athletic complexes were added behind it; and so on. It was mostly for nought, as the athletic complexes were almost never used except for the soccer field, and both Cedar Lake and the River Road portion of Richardson/River Road were closed only a few years later. (Another small elementary school in Glennie, which also got hit with a bunch of unnecessary expansions, closed too.)

As of right now, the only two school buildings left are: the remaining portions of Richardson/River Road (the original Richardson building and the annex, if I'm not mistaken — I think the old River Road side is still closed),which is K-6, and the high school, which is 7-12.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, but I could see the poster so the best I could do was "the chick from The Hunger Games."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If I'm not mistaken, the presence of Hunger Games books and the name "Katniss Everdeen" are both facts that I learned from previous FJ!s. She's clearly tripped my Hawley-Smoot "weird names are memorable" filter.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the presence of Hunger Games books and the name "Katniss Everdeen" are both facts that I learned from previous FJ!s. She's clearly tripped my Hawley-Smoot "weird names are memorable" filter.
the name gets 4 hits in the archive, all from J/DJ rounds over the past 2 years.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Game Recap & Discussion

Post by Category 13 »

Over two pages of middle/ junior/high school comments........
are you guys that bored?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 QF Game Discussion

Post by Category 13 »

Not a bad guess on the 2004 Democratic ticket DD by William, considering how John Edwards is not one of the darlings of the lame stream media these days.
I am quite amazed that William knew who recorded a song from 1985 though. Makes me wonder if he had witnessed the taping of the episode with the Madonna videos that aired last week, and that helped him get that clue.

I was heavily rooting for Eileen in this game and hated that she was religated to a distant 3rd by the end of DJ. That miss on the $1200 MEASURE UP clue eliminated her chances of gaining enough money for a wild card spot.

Speaking of that clue....I thought it was much more tough than the $2000 'Furlong' clue and another inappropriate for Teen Tourny altogether.
Eileen's 'knot' response was grasping for straws, but she should have paid attention to the (about 66 feet) at the end of the clue.
I would have been tempted to guess "what is a rod".
My grandfather, who was born in 1897, used to use that term when discribing distances but I never knew what the actual measurement was.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I thought it was an acre-I've never known what that exact measurement was, either.
scrutinizer
Contributor

Post by scrutinizer »

1 rod is .25 chains, or 16.5 feet.

William was lightning on the buzzer last night!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have honestly never heard of rods or chains as units of measurement before.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Woppy T wrote:Never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, but I could see the poster so the best I could do was "the chick from The Hunger Games."
Yep. I don't recall ever hearing the character's actual name, quite frankly. Or if I did, it didn't stick.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote:Eileen's 'knot' response was grasping for straws, but she should have paid attention to the (about 66 feet) at the end of the clue.
It's quite appropriate and shows some logical deduction. Even if you aren't familiar with the measurement, you can figure it out by coming up with "What do you get when you put links together?" A chain.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Eileen's 'knot' response was grasping for straws, but she should have paid attention to the (about 66 feet) at the end of the clue.
It's quite appropriate and shows some logical deduction. Even if you aren't familiar with the measurement, you can figure it out by coming up with "What do you get when you put links together?" A chain.
Yes, in hindsight it makes more sense. My use of the word 'inappropriate' was inappropriate.
For teens playing under the lights, the clue could be bit confusing with the 66 foot reference.
When Eileen said '"knot" my brain immediately connected that with a rope. I thought that was a terrible guess. Wasn't till I reviewed the archive that I realized she was probably thinking of nautical miles.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

My beef with the writers for this game is that Florida doesn't have "surrounding states." It has neighboring states. But I suspect some of the damage was in states that neither surround nor neighbor Florida, making it a poor clue.
nightreign wrote:I thought it was an acre-I've never known what that exact measurement was, either.
An acre is a measure of area. One acre = 43,560 square feet, or about the size of AT's house. There are 640 acres in a square mile.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'm not sure my FJ would have passed muster. After about 10 seconds, I figured it was the Hunger Games protagonist, but couldn't remember her last name. I would have scribbled down "Who is Katniss from Hunger Games" and hoped for the best.
The clue asked for a name which is also a plant of the genus Sagittaria, and that's katniss. No Everdeen required ;)
Ironically the first name by itself would be more likely to get a pass, "Everdeen" could be her sister Primrose, which is also a plant.

Love "sea-snake track" guess - pretty terrifying to imagine a snake big enough to make that track just slithering around the beach.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing