TD 202: Lea-TDer of the Flock

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Binky
Contributor

Re: TD 202: Lea-TDer of the Flock

Post by Binky »

Paucle wrote: Wrong for 26:
Binky (Sheep for 13): draw
esrever: draw
The draw shot is definitely a pool shot. Caboom states the definition nicely in his earlier post. And of course, I'd rather get 2 points than 13 :-)
DPP

Post by DPP »

I'm perplexed as to why "follow" was not accepted. My husband is, too. We both play a lot of pool and we're familiar with the names of the various kinds of shots. In fact, we think that all of the shots marked as wrong are legitimate names of pool shots.
d4z

Post by d4z »

DPP wrote:I'm perplexed as to why "follow" was not accepted. My husband is, too.
I'm puzzled as well. I thought that the follow shot was fairly well known.
Caboom wrote: n a follow shot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_o ... ollow_shot) you use top spin to make the cue ball go forwards after hitting the object ball

That's how I learned it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ok- nothing argued here changes my "calls." I'll stick with my original source of 8 plus the one I added.
If you want to puzzle it out, my 9 answers have something in common that any other argued-for do not (though those almost all have something else in common with each other.)

With that in mind, here's the half time score, and I'll resume the reveal ASAP.

68 barandall800
52 JoshuaRQI, jepkid97
51 gamawire
50 esrever
48 psgola
44 Bamaman
43 jjwaymee
42 Lumosityfan, DPP
40 dhkendall
38 dott888, TheyCallMeMrKid
37 d4z
36 Vanya, econgator
35 Peggles
34 whatisbishkek, CheezeWhiz
32 tjconn728
30 Turd Ferguson
29 sarah0114, nserven
28 Magna, Rackme32, Binky
27 Bristle, Alyssa, RandyG
26 Aardvark
25 MarkBarrett
24 immaf, ihavejeoprosy
22 nestegg
21 Kayanne, Noon
19 Leander, Joy
17 Cat Hat
15 xxaaaxx
12 Kingrat47
9 Lilac
Lilac wrote:Why is this answer 4 points when only 3 players are listed?
Typo.
gem
Contributor

Post by gem »

Paucle wrote:ok- nothing argued here changes my "calls." I'll stick with my original source of 8 plus the one I added.
If you want to puzzle it out, my 9 answers have something in common that any other argued-for do not (though those almost all have something else in common with each other.)
My guess is that the answers scored as wrong are subsets of the shots that were scored as correct. For example, "draw", "follow" and "stop" are all types of "straight" shots.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

6. Name one of the 9 marks used in English Heraldic cadency (coats of arms).
Probably the toughest, even moreso than the Hall of Fame one. I just thought the fall back for everyone would be the fleur-de-lys. Doesn't every coat of arms have a fleur-de-lys?

Rose [4]: jjwaymee (sheep), gamawire (sheep), Joy (EBB- 17th entry), sarah0114
Crescent [4]: Leander, Noon, d4z, Peggles
Mullet (star) [3]: Bristle, ihavejeoprosy, jepkid97
Label of three points [3]: immaf, esrever, nestegg
Martlet (bird) [3]: Magna, Lilac, TheyCallMeMrKid
Annulet (ring) [2]: Kayanne (sheep), Aardvark
Fleur-de-Lys [2]: Alyssa, Binky
Cross Moline: Singleton to Cat Hat!
Octofoil: Singleton to DPP!

DROPS: MarkBarrett, Vanya, psgola, nserven, Turd Ferguson, econgator, Rackme32, RandyG, barandall800, xxaaaxx

Wrong Answers for 8:
Kingrat47 (chief)
CheezeWhiz (crown)
dhkendall (per fess)
JoshuaRQI (motto)
Lumosityfan (Lion)

Wrong (sheeps) for 4:
dott888 (arrow)
whatisbishkek (candle)
tjconn728 (keys)
Bamaman (Barrett... thanks for the grin!)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Paucle wrote:6. Name one of the 9 marks used in English Heraldic cadency (coats of arms).
Probably the toughest, even moreso than the Hall of Fame one. I just thought the fall back for everyone would be the fleur-de-lys. Doesn't every coat of arms have a fleur-de-lys?
Even after seeing the answers, I still have barely a clue. If you had said French, then fleur-de-lys probably would have come to mind. (btw, my coat of arms does not have one.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:I just thought the fall back for everyone would be the fleur-de-lys. Doesn't every coat of arms have a fleur-de-lys?
I had no idea what a cadency mark was.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

8. Name one of the actors (all male) who comprised Danny's Ocean's Eleven (original 1960s cast).
As opposed to the Clooney remakes that included 12 and 13. No surprises here. Title character is one sheep, and his co-sheep has almost as high of a 60's Q-factor.

Frank Sinatra: [7]whatisbishkek (EBB), psgola, Cat Hat, sarah0114, tjconn728, Rackme32, barandall800
Sammy Davis Jr [7]: gamawire, dhkendall, dott888, Magna, Binky, nserven, JoshuaRQI
Joey Bishop [6]: MarkBarrett, jjwaymee, TheyCallMeMrKid, Turd Ferguson, Bamaman, xxaaaxx
Peter Lawford [5]: Kingrat47, nestegg, Peggles, ihavejeoprosy, RandyG
Dean Martin [4]: immaf, CheezeWhiz, Leander, econgator
Norman Fell [2]: Vanya, d4z
Richard Conte: Singleton to esrever!
Buddy Lester: Singleton to Joy!
Henry Silva: Singleton to Aardvark!
DROP: Kayanne, Bristle, Alyssa, Lilac, DPP, jepkid97
Not offered: Clem Harvey, Richard Benedict

Wrong for 14
Noon: Cesar Romero
Lumosityfan: Danny DeVito
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

Paucle wrote:ok- nothing argued here changes my "calls." I'll stick with my original source of 8 plus the one I added.
Well that's just ridiculous. It's comparable to asking for different sports and then not accepting soccer or ping pong because your "source" doesn't include them.

And it doesn't really matter what the accepted answers have in common or don't have in common. You didn't define what would be acceptable as a type of shot (and you didn't define your source beforehand), so how can you do that after the fact?

But if that's the type of judging you will do on your TD's, remind me not to enter any of them.
[/rant]
gem wrote:My guess is that the answers scored as wrong are subsets of the shots that were scored as correct. For example, "draw", "follow" and "stop" are all types of "straight" shots.
You can make draw and follow shots on cut shots as well. Besides, a "rail shot", that he would have accepted, is also just a subset of a straight or a cut shot.
Christy
Contributor

Post by Christy »

Caboom wrote:Well that's just ridiculous. It's comparable to asking for different sports and then not accepting soccer or ping pong because your "source" doesn't include them.

And it doesn't really matter what the accepted answers have in common or don't have in common. You didn't define what would be acceptable as a type of shot (and you didn't define your source beforehand), so how can you do that after the fact?

But if that's the type of judging you will do on your TD's, remind me not to enter any of them.
[/rant]
*LIKE*
I agree that the negs are unreasonable. If this ruling isn't reversed, then I won't be entering any of his future TDs (if he has any more).
Binky
Contributor

Post by Binky »

Christy wrote: I agree that the negs are unreasonable. If this ruling isn't reversed, then I won't be entering any of his future TDs (if he has any more).
This. If Paucle had mentioned his source when he asked the question, it would have been fine. But so far, this source has remained anonymous. I sure would like to know what it is! It obviously isn't complete, since Paucle felt compelled to add a ninth pool shot to the eight shots in his source. I think that the source failed to mention several other pool shots, including those that were negged. I'm sure that these negged shot names are in the vocabularies of many pool players. I don't see why they're excluded.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:I just thought the fall back for everyone would be the fleur-de-lys. Doesn't every coat of arms have a fleur-de-lys?
I only knew because I'd been part of a heraldry society, and even then I had to really think about it. (The label was the only one that came to mind immediately.) I'm really surprised that more than a handful of people could answer it.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

econgator wrote:
Guess I'm not alone. :)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Rackme32 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Guess I'm not alone. :)
What makes this so hard is that cadency marks are not routinely used, even in by people who care about heraldry. They're only used in very formal situations, and even then not always.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I had an inordinate interest in all things medieval and British at one point in time and learned a bit about heraldry, which I was able to dig out of some recess of my memory. The label came immediately to mind, but I couldn't remember if it had a more formal name or not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:I had an inordinate interest in all things medieval and British at one point in time and learned a bit about heraldry
I actually do know something about heraldry, which is why this caught me off guard. I know the difference between rampant, passant, and sejant & between gardant and regardant -- but not this. :)
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

With all the debate over pool shots and cadency marks, I think we missed that question 7 was skipped in the reveal.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

tjconn728 wrote:With all the debate over pool shots and cadency marks, I think we missed that question 7 was skipped in the reveal.
Oops- nice catch!
The post was lost behind a couple other windows. Just never got a "submit" after its final "preview." (See edited post later)
7. Name one of the 10 (major) systems of the human body.

Endocrine [7]: Bristle (EBB), psgola, Aardvark, Rackme32, RandyG, jepkid97, xxaaaxx
Circulatory [6]: immaf, Kayanne, Kingrat47, gamawire, Noon, Peggles
Reproductive [6]: dhkendall, sarah0114, Binky, nestegg, JoshuaRQI, barandall800
Nervous [5]: jjwaymee, whatisbishkek, dott888, Alyssa, TheyCallMeMrKid
Digestive [4]: MarkBarrett, Cat Hat, tjconn728, Turd Ferguson
excretory [3]: esrever, nserven, Lumosityfan
Integumenary [2]: Lilac, ihavejeoprosy
Respiratory [2]: econgator, Bamaman
skeletal: Singleton to CheezeWhiz!
Muscular: Singleton to Joy!

Wrong for 14:
Vanya, Magna, DPP, d4z (immune)

Leander (limbic)
Last edited by Paucle on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Why is the immune system wrong? Not that Wikipedia is authoritative, but it's listed there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sy ... human_body
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body#Systems

ETA: A quick search found a lot of articles mentioning the immune system as one of the body's 9 or 10 major systems.
Last edited by Magna on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.