TD 203: Piense diferente!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: TD 203: Piense diferente!

Post by nightreign »

Heck, I'd be happy to be in the top half (a position I've never achieved). It would be funny if I was, since I don't even take Spanish and only knew one or two answers to half these questions.

(Re: nueve being the sheep, I don't know why exactly, but I know I chose uno because in the 11 TD a few months ago, there was a bonus that involved randomly picking a number. I went with my lucky 8 and of course it sheeped. The number 1 had the fewest responses.)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

4. Name the English translation for one of the following Spanish infinitives: Hablar, comer, caminar, correr, cantar, romper, saltar, comprar, beber, contestar.

With only 10 fairly gettable responses to choose from, few drops being used, and few incorrect responses, the scores ended up being pretty evenly spread out, with only one singleton. Y'all like to run, sing, speak, and jump...or at the very least, you thought everyone else wouldn't. Oh, and you'll get a kick out of the lone unused answer... :)

To run (correr) [7 points]
Leander
DCrawshawJr
gamawire
Woof
BobF
tjconn728
whatisbishkek

To sing (cantar) [7 points]
MarkBarrett
ElendilPickle
nightreign
mennoknight
Peachbox
TheyCallMeMrKid
Bristle

To speak (hablar) [6 points]
psgola
dott888
clprez
dhkendall
Bamaman
Caboom

To jump (saltar) [6 points]
Cat Hat
sarah0114
A drop of golden sun
JoshuaRQI
Mathew5000
WooWho?

To drink (beber) [4 points]
Binky
Tpmorrison
Benkins
Magna

To break (romper) [3 points]
CoachP
lisa0012
Noon

To walk (caminar) [2 points]
Vanya
Tigershark

To buy (comprar) [2 points]
Lilac
econgator

COMODIN (2 points)
geolawyerman
goforthetie

To eat (comer) [1 point]
Peggles

OMITIR [0 points]
dnbguy
ihavejeprosy

Unused correct answers
To answer (contestar)
(Somewhat ironic... :D)

INCORRECT (12 points)
CheezeWhiz (to know -- hablar)
jepkid97 (to dance -- saltar)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Scores after question 4

Bristle 12
Caboom 12
woof 12
Noon 13
dnbguy 14
econgator 14
nightreign 14
BobF 15
Cat Hat 15
tjconn728 15
DCrawshawJr 16
dott888 16
whatisbishkek 17
A drop of golden sun 18
Bamaman 18
Binky 18
clprez 18
ihavejeprosy 19
mennoknight 19
geolawyerman 20
Lilac 20
CheezeWhiz 21
JoshuaRQI 21
CoachP 22
lisa0012 22
Mathew5000 22
Peachbox 22
psgola 22
Tpmorrison 22
Vanya 22
gamawire 24
Tigershark 24
sarah0114 25
Benkins 26
Leander 27
MarkBarrett 27
ElendilPickle 29
goforthetie 29
Magna 32
Peggles 32
jepkid97 36
TheyCallMeMrKid 38
dhkendall 39
WooWho? 44

Caboom joins Bristle and Woof at the top, and things stay pretty close (with lots of ties...that will later be broken). Stay tuned for question 5!
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

BobF wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
A drop of golden sun wrote:How is it possible that anybody cannot count to ten in Spanish???
???

How is it possible that anybody cannot count to ten on Chinese? (There's way more speakers!)
Yeah, but Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go have drilled tons of Spanish words into the heads of young children since the late 60's.
I might have been able to count to ten in Spanish in my Sesame-Street-watching days, but when submitting for this TD I could only remember uno, dos, tres, cinco, and ocho.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

WooWho? wrote:Dangit, misread "South American" cities as "Latin American" cities. D'oh.
Sigh, I just realized I did the same in Q8. There goes my chance of doing well for once.
Mathew5000

Re: Question 3: Leer es vivir

Post by Mathew5000 »

barandall800 wrote:3. Name a Nobel Prize in Literature laureate from a Latin American country, or the year in which one of them was awarded the Prize.

This question went rather smoothly for most...but I definitely didn't see a particular negbait coming. I think I checked and rechecked every time that Isabel Allende came in as a response (I have a list on Wikipedia I used as a source, but it's Wikipedia, so I wanted to make sure no one missed anything), and nope...she's never won the Nobel Prize in Literature. I was surprised as you were.
I remembered Mistral from previous discussions on this board. Last year in the SHC one question in the category Women Poets was "A portrait of this winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature appears on Chile's 5,000 peso bank note." RJaguar3 noted that this had only 11 correct answers and 31 incorrect ("30x Allende, 1x Neruda").

Also in TD 196 one of the questions was to name a female winner of the Nobel Prize for Lit; I was definitely reminded of Mistral by studying the reveal of that question.

Edited to add: I almost forgot, just a couple of months ago Alex Trebek read a clue asking for the first Latin American woman to win the lit Nobel; it was a triple stumper with someone negging on Allende even though the category was Poetic Women.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

barandall800 wrote: jepkid97 (to dance -- saltar)
Ugh... I haven't taken Spanish in years, but I knew the answers to quite a few of these. How I ended up choosing this one, convinced that I was right, instead of one of the many answers that I actually did know the answers to, is beyond me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

barandall800 wrote:4.
To run (correr) [7 points]
Leander
DCrawshawJr
gamawire
Woof
BobF
tjconn728
whatisbishkek

Ouch!!! Looking at those verbs, I tried to decide between the non-cognates. It came down to a 50/50 between correr and comer, and I decided on the former because of the possible linkage of the latter to commissary. TD/PD bites me in the culo once again :mrgreen:
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I come from a Portuguese-American family, and many of the Portuguese words are the same or similar to the Spanish.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I knew caminar from the cucaracha song.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

dhkendall wrote:
A drop of golden sun wrote:I have never met anybody who cannot count to ten in Spanish.
Ah, and you're projecting your particular experience on everyone at large then, I see.
I can't think of anyone I know who can't count to ten in Spanish either. But I live in San Antonio, so... :D
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

gamawire wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
A drop of golden sun wrote:I have never met anybody who cannot count to ten in Spanish.
Ah, and you're projecting your particular experience on everyone at large then, I see.
I can't think of anyone I know who can't count to ten in Spanish either. But I live in San Antonio, so... :D

dhk, and others, thanks for your feedback. I would say anybody who is American and young enough to have grown up watching Sesame Street can count to ten in Spanish, or at least 98% can, would be my guess. I grew up in SE Michigan, where we can watch the Windsor, ON CBC channel, and I vaguely remember the Canadian Sesame Street counting to 10 in French. I don't know if they still have Sesame Street on CBC. I tried to do it just now and I messed up 7 and 8 (I kept switching to Italian or other languages after 6); if spelling counted, I would have done even worse.

dhk you can call me whatever you like, ADOGS works for me.

I thought I was going to get a singleton with Mario Vargas Llosa! I expected to be the only one who'd heard of him AND knew that he won a Nobel Prize! But this site's participants are far from average, from what I can see. I'm pretty confident I will finish in the top half this time, maybe even the top quarter, but probably not on the medal stand!
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

A drop of golden sun wrote:I would say anybody who is American and young enough to have grown up watching Sesame Street can count to ten in Spanish, or at least 98% can, would be my guess.
Okay, I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that you're way off with this. I grew up watching Sesame Street, and I can count to ten in Spanish, but it's because I took Spanish classes in high school, not because I watched Sesame Street. Had I not taken Spanish classes in high school (which not everyone does), I feel quite certain that I would not know all the numbers one through ten in Spanish. Sure, it's definitely not unusual for Americans to have this knowledge, but the idea that it's something 98% of people know seems pretty far-fetched. And this goes double for being able to spell the numbers rather than just saying them.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

whatisbishkek wrote:I grew up watching Sesame Street, and I can count to ten in Spanish, but it's because I took Spanish classes in high school, not because I watched Sesame Street.
I can, too, but I took it in elementary school (Long Island in the early '70s). We had our choice of Spanish of French and I chose Spanish. I later took French in college.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Thought I'd theoretically have more time today to continue the reveal, but I guess not. (I told you I like quicker reveals...I feel like I'm going at a snail's pace. :))

5. Name one of the 15 artists with the most number-one hits on the Billboard Hot Latin Songs chart.

I was going through a few different ideas for a music question (you know me, I have to have at least one...), and this was the one that stuck. A fairly big sheep here, and lots of nice singletons...but also a few unused answers. Artists who have crossed over into English were generally the most covered here. (You know that TD answers don't lie...you're starting to feel it's right. :)) So while doing my final checks for this question earlier today, I noticed that Marc Anthony has 7 number-one hits on the chart...and so do the artists out of the list of 15 with the lowest number of hits. I'm not quite sure why he was left off the list, then, and I've decided in the interest of fairness to count him as a correct answer. Conversely, a certain artist formerly connected with him hasn't done so well on the Hot Latin Songs chart, which resulted in a handful of negs. If you'd like to see which songs these artists scored number-one success with, check out the source I used here.

Shakira (9 hits) [9 points]
Leander
psgola
ElendilPickle
CoachP
clprez
dhkendall
Tpmorrison
tjconn728
dnbguy

Ricky Martin (11 hits) [5 points]
JoshuaRQI
Woof
mennoknight
Peachbox
TheyCallMeMrKid

Enrique Iglesias (Henry Churches? :)) (25 hits) [4 points]
nightreign
gamawire
whatisbishkek
econgator

Juanes (8 hits) [4 points]
sarah0114
A drop of golden sun
Binky
lisa0012

Gloria Estefan (15 hits) [3 points]
MarkBarrett
dott888
Bamaman

COMODIN [3 points]
WooWho?
Benkins
BobF

Marc Anthony (7 hits) [2 points]
CheezeWhiz
Peggles

Wisin & Yandel (11 hits) [1 point]
Noon

Chayanne (9 hits) [1 point]
Cat Hat

Maná (9 hits) [1 point]
Lilac

Alejandro Fernandez (8 hits) [1 point]
Bristle

Ana Gabriel (7 hits) [1 point]
Vanya
(Host note: I was particularly happy when this response was picked, as I grew up listening to her music [something true of others of these artists, but especially true of Ana], thanks to my mom, and still do today, probably even more often than she does. :))

OMITIR (0 points)
Mathew5000
geolawyerman
goforthetie
Tigershark
Magna

Unused correct answers
Luis Miguel (16 hits)
Marco Antonio Solís (15 hits)
Selena (7 hits)
Juan Luis Guerra (7 hits)
Juan Gabriel (7 hits)

INCORRECT (14 points)
DCrawshawJr (Jennifer Lopez...only 3 number-ones for her)
Caboom (Jennifer Lopez)
jepkid97 (Jennifer Lopez)
ihavejeprosy (Julio Iglesias...only 2 number-ones)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Scores at the halfway point
Bristle 13
Noon 14
Cat Hat 16
Woof 17
BobF 18
econgator 18
nightreign 18
dott888 19
geolawyerman 20
Bamaman 21
Lilac 21
whatisbishkek 21
A drop of golden sun 22
Binky 22
Mathew5000 22
CheezeWhiz 23
dnbguy 23
Vanya 23
mennoknight 24
Tigershark 24
tjconn728 24
JoshuaRQI 25
Caboom 26
lisa0012 26
clprez 27
Peachbox 27
gamawire 28
Benkins 29
goforthetie 29
sarah0114 29
DCrawshawJr 30
MarkBarrett 30
CoachP 31
psgola 31
Tpmorrison 31
Magna 32
ihavejeprosy 33
Peggles 34
Leander 36
ElendilPickle 38
TheyCallMeMrKid 43
WooWho? 47
dhkendall 48
jepkid97 50

The last question brings some shake-ups to the standings, knocking Woof out of the lead for the first time this game, and bringing Bristle to the top, with Noon still close behind. Things at the peak of the leaderboard, and as we've seen, anything can happen. More excitement coming your way as the reveal continues, slowly but steadily. :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

gamawire wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
So you know people who can't count to ten in English?

*ducks for cover*
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

BobF wrote:
So you know people who can't count to ten in English?
Many. :D
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Well, I was going to use Selena, but figured she would be a massive sheep.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Woof

Post by Woof »

mennoknight wrote:Well, I was going to use Selena, but figured she would be a massive sheep.
Selena was on my short list as well, but I shied away from her because of her untimely death: I wasn't sure that she'd racked up enough #1s in her short life to remain in the top ranks. Oh, well...